Bedroom lights out in 260RD 5th wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedroom lights out in 260RD 5th wheel

Got everything set up, connected to shore power, both rear and front A/C running great. But the bedroom overhead lights won't come on when we flip the switch.

I checked the fuse panel in the kitchen/living area and don't see anything specific to the bedroom circuits.

The outlets work, as do the DC lights.

Any idea where to chase down the fault?

At least it's not a critical component!
    Mike and Rebecca
    2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
    2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Mike & Rebecca
    The 260RD has a stationary bed (no slide) so it's not wires underneath a slide (not an unusual fault).

Since the other 12v lights work, it's not likely the battery or converter.

What I'd look for is a missing return connection. Remove the wall outlet switch and inside the wall you'll likely find a convergence of solid white wires (12vDC return, or "ground"). There are many instances of the crimps failing. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-inop-easy-fix for a thread on the topic.

Howard

P.S. Below is a pic of the exact wire I'm referencing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wires ground.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	94835
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Mike & Rebecca

While you have the switch out be sure to meter out the switch to make sure it's not defective. Always my first suspect if there is power to the circuit.
      2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Lonestar , I've got the multimeter but other than knowing how to touch the probes to the battery terminals I'm not familiar with how to use it. Am I probing the two posts on the back of the switch (from howson 's post?) What reading on the multimeter am looking for? Does it matter which switch post gets the positive probe? To thanks!
        Mike and Rebecca

Comment

Mike & Rebecca Mike, find the OHM setting on your meter (looks like the Omega symbol). Touch the probes together and note the display, and with probes not touching note the dispaly. Then put one probe on each side of the switch, when switch is off you should get the same reading as probes not touching, switch on, it should be the same as probes touching (maybe a little number).
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            Mike & Rebecca Mike, find the OHM setting on your meter (looks like the Omega symbol). Touch the probes together and note the display, and with probes not touching note the dispaly. Then put one probe on each side of the switch, when switch is off you should get the same reading as probes not touching, switch on, it should be the same as probes touching (maybe a little number).
            I would add to this to remove one of the power wires to the switch so you will not have 12 volts DC in the circuit while testing the continuity of the switch. Also, some multi meters have a convenient switch position that give off an audible tone for checking continuity. Makes it easy to keep the meter probes on the light switch while testing, and being able to listen for the tone rather than having to look at the multi meter.
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

I would add to this to remove one of the power wires to the switch so you will not have 12 volts DC in the circuit while testing the continuity of the switch. Also, some multi meters have a convenient switch position that give off an audible tone for checking continuity. Makes it easy to keep the meter probes on the light switch while testing, and being able to listen for the tone rather than having to look at the multi meter.
              I'm just chicken enough I had planned on just turning off power at three pedestal first. 😀
              Mike and Rebecca

Comment

Originally posted by Mike & Rebecca View Post

I'm just chicken enough I had planned on just turning off power at three pedestal first. 😀
                That wont kill the 12V Disconnect your battery too if you want everything dead. When I say disconnect pull the negitive cable off the battery (hope I got that correct)and not use the disconect switch as that still leave some circuits hot. Also if you have solar, depending on how it was tied in, that may need to be disconnected too.
                Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

That wont kill the 12V Disconnect your battery too if you want everything dead. When I say disconnect pull the negitive cable off the battery (hope I got that correct)and not use the disconect switch as that still leave some circuits hot. Also if you have solar, depending on how it was tied in, that may need to be disconnected too.
                  Keith
                  Asking to clarify Keith - turning off AC at pedestal for the AC circuit (which this switch is on) isn't sufficient? There's still the possibility that there's current to this switch via the DC circuit?
                  Mike and Rebecca

Comment

Mike,

That switch is a dc circuit switch NOT ac.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers , thanks for that! I'm not sure why I thought the main overhead lights in the trailer were AC only, but I was pretty sure. I thought when on battery (that's DC, correct?) only the set of lights that have the manual switch on each fixture were the ones on DC. I should note that because I'm uncomfortable around electricity I pretty much assume everything is "hot" even if it's not.

Thanks Lonestar !

Hopefully I correctly uploaded a picture of what I pulled out of the wall. Everything looks like it's a solid connection - with the exception of those lose wire strands in the left most wire going into the 3-way connector. And there is only one power wire to the switch not two.

I have an aftermarket master off switch so I should be able to cut both AC and DC if I need to.

So...
                      1. Do I continue playing with this or do I just forget it until I get home, so I don't electrocute myself (although I did just purchase new $250k life insurance on myself this week...)
                      2. Should the testing with the multimeter be done with power on or power off?
                      Thanks!

Side note: From the main web portal for the forum, I can't tell if you are supposed to click the camera icon and then Upload from Gallery or if you are supposed to click the Upload Attachments at the bottom of the post?
                      Mike and Rebecca

Comment

Mike & Rebecca

Mike,

Was the other wire connected to the switch? There should be a power wire and then the wire feeding the light circuit connected to the switch.

If you are testing for continuity then you do NOT want any power to be on. If you are checking for power, in this case dc, you would want to have that on.

I use the "Upload Attachments" tab to upload pictures.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I just wanted to throw this out there. It is possible that GDRV may have installed motion detector lights on the ceiling of your bedroom if they ran out of standard light fixtures. If they did, there is typically a switch on the light fixtures themselves with a three way switch. 1 - Motion sensing, 2 - Off, and 3 - Constant On. Check your lights to see if they have a switch on the fixture and if so, that it's not turned off.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Mike & Rebecca Mike you will have one "HOT" being 12VDC+ to the switch, the other will continue to the fixture. If only 1 wire was attached to the switch that is most likely the issue as the power is either ending in the lug of the switch with nothing attached to it, or the female spade connector wire is the "HOT" and the switch is not seeing any power.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Mike & Rebecca View Post
                              Country Campers , thanks for that! I'm not sure why I thought the main overhead lights in the trailer were AC only, but I was pretty sure. I thought when on battery (that's DC, correct?) only the set of lights that have the manual switch on each fixture were the ones on DC. I should note that because I'm uncomfortable around electricity I pretty much assume everything is "hot" even if it's not.

Thanks Lonestar !

Hopefully I correctly uploaded a picture of what I pulled out of the wall. Everything looks like it's a solid connection - with the exception of those lose wire strands in the left most wire going into the 3-way connector. And there is only one power wire to the switch not two.

I have an aftermarket master off switch so I should be able to cut both AC and DC if I need to.

So...
                              1. Do I continue playing with this or do I just forget it until I get home, so I don't electrocute myself (although I did just purchase new $250k life insurance on myself this week...)
                              2. Should the testing with the multimeter be done with power on or power off?
                              Thanks!

Side note: From the main web portal for the forum, I can't tell if you are supposed to click the camera icon and then Upload from Gallery or if you are supposed to click the Upload Attachments at the bottom of the post?
                              Mike that yellow spade terminal should be connected to the switch below the blue one as Brian pointed out. The three white wires connected to the WAGO connector are ok. They are the negative return wires, Very sloppy install. If you want to clean them up flip the orange levers on the back side up and the wires should easily pull out, then you can re-twist and re insert and flip the orange lever back to to secure

Hope this helps
                              Keith
                              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X