Bedroom lights out in 260RD 5th wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [*
    Do I continue playing with this or do I just forget it until I get home, so I don't electrocute myself (although I did just purchase new $250k life insurance on myself this week...)[*]Should the testing with the multimeter be done with power on or power off?

You are not going to electrocute yourself with 12 volts DC. You just don't want to short the hot (positive) lead to the ground (negative) and cause a fuse to pop. Again, if checking *continuity* of the switch (to rule out the switch as the problem) turn off the 12 volt DC supply to it. You want no power on the circuit.

As Brian said, if you are testing for power at the switch, obviously the 12 volt DC power must be on.

2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Mike & Rebecca View Post
      Country Campers , thanks for that! I'm not sure why I thought the main overhead lights in the trailer were AC only, but I was pretty sure. I thought when on battery (that's DC, correct?) only the set of lights that have the manual switch on each fixture were the ones on DC. I should note that because I'm uncomfortable around electricity I pretty much assume everything is "hot" even if it's not.

Thanks Lonestar !

Hopefully I correctly uploaded a picture of what I pulled out of the wall. Everything looks like it's a solid connection - with the exception of those lose wire strands in the left most wire going into the 3-way connector. And there is only one power wire to the switch not two.

I have an aftermarket master off switch so I should be able to cut both AC and DC if I need to.

So...
      1. Do I continue playing with this or do I just forget it until I get home, so I don't electrocute myself (although I did just purchase new $250k life insurance on myself this week...)
      2. Should the testing with the multimeter be done with power on or power off?
      Thanks!

Side note: From the main web portal for the forum, I can't tell if you are supposed to click the camera icon and then Upload from Gallery or if you are supposed to click the Upload Attachments at the bottom of the post?
      Mike If that was how it came out of the wall just as it is no your picture then that yellow connector is most likely your problem as Keith mentioned. with the power on just plug it back onto the spade connector on the switch. turn on if you have lights that was the problem. Also those connectors should be fairly tight and if it was off when you pulled it then it probably vibrated of in travel. just squeeze the back half of the connector with a pair of pliers to tighten. If you do need to test the switch you do not need to turn off the power, just remove one or both of the connectors to remove the switch from the circuit and test between the two spade connectors on the switch.
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab w/Cummins 6.7L Diesel
      2022 GD Reflection 150 series 260RD
      https://gdrvowners.com/core/images/smilies//waving.gif

Comment

Sorry for the tardy reply! Got in late to Glacier NP last night after a long drive and left early this morning to see the park.

The disconnected wire seems to make sense. Country Campers , no, that pair of wires joined in the spade connector were not attached to the back of the switch when I pulled out.
        ​​​​​​ So the two wires joined in the spade connector are ok? Just plug it into the lower switch post and see what happens?

​​​​​​​Thanks for all the helpful replies!!
        Mike and Rebecca
        2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
        2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          I just wanted to throw this out there. It is possible that GDRV may have installed motion detector lights on the ceiling of your bedroom if they ran out of standard light fixtures. If they did, there is typically a switch on the light fixtures themselves with a three way switch. 1 - Motion sensing, 2 - Off, and 3 - Constant On. Check your lights to see if they have a switch on the fixture and if so, that it's not turned off.

Jim
          Thanks for the suggestion. These fixtures definitely don't have the three way motion detector switch. And it's worked fine for 60 odd nights before this trip
          Mike and Rebecca

Comment

Sorry for the tardy reply! Got in late to Glacier NP last night after a long drive and left early this morning to see the park.

The disconnected wire seems to make sense. Country Campers , no, that pair of wires joined in the spade connector were not attached to the back of the switch when I pulled out.
            ​​​​​​ So the two wires joined in the spade connector are ok? Just plug it into the lower switch post and see what happens?

Thanks for all the helpful replies!!
            Yes that wire spade should be connected to the switch.

​​​​​​​Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Problem solved - as Yodasuggested, I just needed to reconnect the yellow spade connector to the post on the back of the switch.

As soon as I got that fixed, the wall light next to the bed quit working. 😂
              Mike and Rebecca

Comment

Problem solved - as Yodasuggested, I just needed to reconnect the yellow spade connector to the post on the back of the switch.

As soon as I got that fixed, the wall light next to the bed quit working. 😂
                Mike - Next time use the force

Pull the light and check the wiring connections and check for power to the light. It could be it burnt out - it does happen
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                X