Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pigtail from Converter Breaker

Background:
    I am adding an auto transfer switch to incorporate an inverter. My GD 2400BH has a WFCO WF-8955-AD-GE distributor panel/converter. After incorporating the switch the distribution panel will get AC power from the output of the new transfer switch (Shore or Inverter). To avoid a battery charging loop I will need to power my converter from the NO contacts along with the shore power in the auto transfer switch. That all makes sense.
    But.... when I went to make the connection to the converter I see that the converter AC power in has a pigtail. It connects to a black 14/2 wire that disappears into the underbelly.
    What would be drawing AC power and would make sense to be under the same breaker labeled "Converter"?
    2022 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2015 Toyota Tundra

mmnzs, this maybe the point in time to make up your own wiring diagram, particularly for the AC side. I'd be tempted to turn off all the breakers, except the main obviously, then one by one, turn them back on and see what powers up. While you're at it, use a plug tester to see which AC outlets power up with each breaker. Perhaps they decided to connect some of the plugs to 'general' breaker and some to the converter breaker? I'm guessing when they wire a trailer, it's not done so much in a fashion that makes sense, but is done in a way that is faster and uses less wiring.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Hi Stephen, I couldn't agree more. I quickly found what it is feeding but it still makes no sense to me. It's feeding the fridge. So my 12V fridge is being fed 120V. That means there must be a 2nd converter behind the fridge which delivers the 12V. I can't explain the reasoning but I am going to separate it in the distribution box with a new 15A breaker. It does explain why it was just labeled Converter although it would have helped if it said Converters plural.
      Only thing I can think of is that it's a remnant from the absorption fridge times.
      I have learned so much about this trailer over the last week. I should really be documenting this.
      2015 Toyota Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by mmnzs View Post
        Hi Stephen, I couldn't agree more. I quickly found what it is feeding but it still makes no sense to me. It's feeding the fridge. So my 12V fridge is being fed 120V. That means there must be a 2nd converter behind the fridge which delivers the 12V. I can't explain the reasoning but I am going to separate it in the distribution box with a new 15A breaker. It does explain why it was just labeled Converter although it would have helped if it said Converters plural.
        Only thing I can think of is that it's a remnant from the absorption fridge times.
        I have learned so much about this trailer over the last week. I should really be documenting this.
        That's interesting about the fridge wiring. For reference, in our trailer with the absorption fridge, we have a dedicated breaker labelled 'Refer' which I assume powers the 120v outlet behind the fridge. Now granted, I've never traced it out, so maybe that breaker powers the microwave . ​​​​​
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Nope I was wrong again. The fridge is wired directly to the battery. I had my battery disconnect off when testing the circuits using shore power. I still don’t know what that pigtail is feeding. I’ll keep looking.
          2015 Toyota Tundra

Comment

Is there a small fridge in the outside kitchen?

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yes there is a little fridge in the outside cooking area as well as a receptacle but both have power. I checked all the plugs in the whole unit both inside and out. Only other 120V devices I can think of are the Microwave, hood fan, water heater and TV. I'm going to feel really dumb when I figure this out. My wife now thinks I'm crazy and I should just reconnect it to the breaker and move on.
              2015 Toyota Tundra

Comment

the 120v circuit may be there to accomodate an absorption refer or a residential model. If my guess is correct the line is not used in your camper. Behind the 12v refer there's likely capped off wires.

If a definitive device requiring that wire is not found, I suggest leaving it disconnected.

If you do document how the 2400BH is wired, please post the info.

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by mmnzs View Post
                  Background:
                  I am adding an auto transfer switch to incorporate an inverter. My GD 2400BH has a WFCO WF-8955-AD-GE distributor panel/converter. After incorporating the switch the distribution panel will get AC power from the output of the new transfer switch (Shore or Inverter). To avoid a battery charging loop I will need to power my converter from the NO contacts along with the shore power in the auto transfer switch. That all makes sense.
                  But.... when I went to make the connection to the converter I see that the converter AC power in has a pigtail. It connects to a black 14/2 wire that disappears into the underbelly.
                  What would be drawing AC power and would make sense to be under the same breaker labeled "Converter"?
                  It sure looks like that pigtail should be connected to a breaker. In your photo the breaker ( 4 up from bottom), does not have a wire connected to it. Should the pigtail be connected there - length looks about right. What label is on that breaker?

Keith
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Hi Keith. Yes that pigtail was removed from the breaker. It’s the power to the converter and a mystery circuit. The converter is now fed from the auto transfer switch with an inline 15A fuse. It won’t go back on the breaker. I have put the mystery wire under the breaker but left the breaker off. I
                    just have to run the inverter remote switch then I’m all done and will post what I learned for others.
                    2015 Toyota Tundra

Comment

Just to wrap this up. It was driving me nuts so I traced it by getting under the trailer and lowering some of the belly covering. This wire was the only black coloured 14/2 wire from the distribution panel. I lost it as it crossed under the unit between the tires but it reappears right beside the fridge compartment. As was guessed by a few of you it seems like it's related to the fridge for future or past need. My fridge seems to be directly connected to the battery bus bars. If I turn off the battery with the disconnect I installed the fridge does not work even on shore power with that breaker on. So for the time being I'm treating it like a spare 120 circuit until it's needed. I removed the pigtail in the panel because the converter is now fed from the auto transfer switch NO (normally open) relay with an inline 15A glass fuse. The mystery wire is on the breaker but it's going to stay in the off position. Maybe that will save someone else some frustration. Thanks for your input.
                      2015 Toyota Tundra

Comment

I just went through this exercise on my 200MK, also baffled why you would not certainly, always, want the converter on a dedicated circuit, especially when there are spares in the box.

Mine went to the outdoor outlets and the utlility outlet in the pass through.
                        - Eric P. (2021 Transcend XPLOR 200MK)

Comment

Working...
                        X