Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical issue furnace, porch light, water pump for out door sink.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical issue furnace, porch light, water pump for out door sink.

Seem to have an interesting issue. Started with noticing porch light above door won’t turn off. The winter came tried turning on gas furnace. The furnace will not turn on. Pulled fuse to check reinstalled furnace came on ran heated but won’t cut off with temp on thermostat and continues to run and run. I then pulled fuse again to kill power to furnace to shut down furnace and noticed porch light works as advertised with fuse pulled. Reinstalled fuse furnace off porch light stays on again switch won’t turn off. This then led to yesterday looking in storage bay saw water. Investigated slide out grill and sink has pump and tank to puch sink water to holding tank. Pump is non operational.

Everything else seems to operate fine. I am wondering if all three are linked by a common ground or if one component shorted out and took that circuit down becoming the ground. Not sure if there is more information I can provide.

2019 Solitude 373FB-R

RVforwork,
    Without knowing your depth of knowledge in advance, if my reply seems basic please don't be offended--only trying to help.

+12vDC is passed across the porch light switch on the Convenience Center when the light is turned on. (See diagram 1 below.) When turned off, only one side of the switch has +12v.

If the porch light is staying on when the switch is turned off, either the switch is bad or the porch light is getting +12v from somewhere else (the latter shown in diagram 2). It is not a short to ground or the fuse would blow. It's a short from one +12V line (source) to the porch light +12v circuit.

If I was troubleshooting with a multimeter I'd start with that assumption.

Please be careful when working with electricity--it can and will "bite". If you doubt your ability, consider having a professional find and fix the problem. (Is your unit still under warranty?)

-Howard

P.S. Basic diagram is from howtogeek.com which I then edited for the purpose of this issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	issue.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	9547
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I will go check out now. I’m used to working on aircraft but they are built to spec and much easier to trace issues. Thank you for replying.

Comment

Just FYI, when I was working on my panty light I found the switch at the light was wired on the neg/ground side. So don't bet on all switches installed on hot side.
        Jim (& Sharon)
        2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
        2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
        The toys:
        2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
        2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

So checked it out must be tied in elsewhere to 12v system. Checked at switch and light. Seems my issue with 12v to furnace is tied together. Just not sure where the power wires tie them together with no diagram have to pull it all apart.

Comment

Originally posted by RVforwork View Post
            So checked it out must be tied in elsewhere to 12v system. Checked at switch and light. Seems my issue with 12v to furnace is tied together. Just not sure where the power wires tie them together with no diagram have to pull it all apart.
            I mapped out the AC side of my unit, but not the 12vDC side (yet). You might consider taking a few minutes to document what-works-off-what before continuing. Below is an example. All I did was use the floorplan from GD's website and then pasted over symbols.

Good luck with the hunt!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlet to CB Drawing.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	9557
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

This was a good start and I’ll add what I find as I go. If I had the time to drop it off I would and let the shop fix it as it is under warranty. But seems a simple wring issue. Just have to run it down.

Comment

Being as this concerns your furnace there was one I read where the wire to the furnace was to close to the furnace fire box and had melted. Maybe check the furnace area , hard to get to the back of it but may be a clue.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Try a couple of things. One, go to the light fixture and pull the bulb. See if that changes the furnace. If nothing changes, take the furnace completely out of the loop (disconnect the wires) see if that changes anything.
                  Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                  2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                  2020 Momentum 351M
                  2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Out of town for holidays. Pulled bulb no switch works like on off like it should. Also to note turn porch light switch off A/C and furnace wall control turns off. Turn switch on they come back. Furnace also works with bulb out switch on. Is it possible light fixture is internally shorted together? Without bulb should porch light switch illuminate?

Comment

So here's what I think is going on. Power is coming through on the ground side of the bulb. When the bulb is in, it's acting like a fuse. If you put in a smaller wattage bulb and ran the furnace, the bulb will probably.

Now with the bulb out, put a volt meter positive lead on the ground side of the bulb housing. Then put the negative lead to a ground on the trailer. You'll probably see voltage. If you do, you need to trace down the ground side of that bulb wire and see how it's getting tied in to positive.

If it's not, there's something funny at the switch.
                      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                      2020 Momentum 351M
                      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
                      X