Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFI not resetting 2022 378MBS

Hi All -

Disclaimer - I'm not a guru electrician. Just working to figure life out one zap-shock at a time.

Our 2022 378MBS GFI outlet is tripped and I can't figure out why / how to troubleshoot it.

What I'm Experiencing:
    The GFI outlet is tripped (yellow on constantly) and many of the outlets through the rig and outside are off. I've also notice that some of the LED lights (in the front compartment with batteries for instance) also do not light. When i reset the GFI it instantly trips again. The GFI hasn't always been tripped. Just the last week or so.

What I've done so far:
    I've first attempted to test & reset the GFI on the outlet in the bathroom.
    I then went through the rig and unplugged anything plugged into GFI that i could easily access. (I think the only thing I didn't unplug is the stove - i think the igniter may be on GFI as it isn't working right now).
    I then tried resetting the GFI again and it immediately tripped.
    I then tried resetting the GFI breaker. The GFI immediately tripped when the breaker came back on.

To my knowledge we haven't had any major water spills or anything near or around outlets. We tend to work to manage humidity and moisture in the bathroom during showers to avoid buildup.
    From an appliances perspective we don't have a Keurig or coffee maker, but we do have an electric kettle. We also have starlink that typically is plugged into a GFI outside. But generally we don't have a lot of intense things plugged into GFI outlets.

I've been told by friends that things may be miswired? or gotten wet? I just don't know how to determine what or where.

Looking for some suggestions, guidance or advice.

Also - is it possible to request a wiring diagram from GD? Is there a process to do that?

Much appreciated!

It could be that the GFI is faulty.

Also there is no "real" wiring diagram just a "wiring plan" GD should provide that for you if you call Customer Service with your VIN. It basically shows where items are located and not how they are wired together.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by nmluthy View Post
      A GFCI trips when it senses there's a difference between the current on the hot and neutral (they should be equal). From your description, there could be a problem with the neutral or hot shorted to ground wire.

If you're unsure of anything that follows, ask for clarification or (even better) consider hiring an electrician.

First--disconnect ALL power to the trailer. No shore power (completely disconnect the cable from the rig), disconnect the negative on the battery, and also disconnect the solar power (if so equipped). Nothing should be powered in the camper.

Now reset the GFCI (it will stay in since there's no power applied).

Using a digital multimeter, look for continuity between the hot and neutral (should be infinite resistance, or show "OL" on a digital meter).

Check for continuity between hot and ground. This should also show infinite resistance.

Check also for continuity from neutral to ground. This should also show infinite resistance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	outlet example.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	95755

Diagram partially snipped from https://www.nickleelectrical.com/thr...-prong-outlet/

I suspect at least one of the tests will show there's 0, or a low level, of resistance (which is not good).

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

nmluthy -- using the floorplan of your trailer (off of GD's website at https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...78mbs-378mbs-r ) put an "X" on the location where an outlet does not work.

Based on the limited information available to me (that may not be right) below is my guess on what does not work. Is it right? If not, post a correction (your own diagram).

Name:	378MBS.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	95758
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Hi All -

Disclaimer - I'm not a guru electrician. Just working to figure life out one zap-shock at a time.

Our 2022 378MBS GFI outlet is tripped and I can't figure out why / how to troubleshoot it.

What I'm Experiencing:
          The GFI outlet is tripped (yellow on constantly) and many of the outlets through the rig and outside are off. I've also notice that some of the LED lights (in the front compartment with batteries for instance) also do not light. When i reset the GFI it instantly trips again. The GFI hasn't always been tripped. Just the last week or so.

What I've done so far:
          I've first attempted to test & reset the GFI on the outlet in the bathroom.
          I then went through the rig and unplugged anything plugged into GFI that i could easily access. (I think the only thing I didn't unplug is the stove - i think the igniter may be on GFI as it isn't working right now).
          I then tried resetting the GFI again and it immediately tripped.
          I then tried resetting the GFI breaker. The GFI immediately tripped when the breaker came back on.

To my knowledge we haven't had any major water spills or anything near or around outlets. We tend to work to manage humidity and moisture in the bathroom during showers to avoid buildup.
          From an appliances perspective we don't have a Keurig or coffee maker, but we do have an electric kettle. We also have starlink that typically is plugged into a GFI outside. But generally we don't have a lot of intense things plugged into GFI outlets.

I've been told by friends that things may be miswired? or gotten wet? I just don't know how to determine what or where.

Also - is it possible to request a wiring diagram from GD? Is there a process to do that?

Much appreciated!
          As your stove is in the slide get under and carefully inspect the power cable from the trailer to the slide. It should come out off the frame and be supported by a long spring to where it gets to the slide. The propane line may be in the same place. Its possible it got pinched and shorted. Its a place to start.

And welcome
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

After removing all loads from receptacles.....make sure you include the outdoor one(s)....I would replace the offending receptacle. GFCI receptacles are very cheaply built and prone to failure.
            On the other hand......you are under warranty. So you could bring it in....but up to you
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Don't forget to check the Molex connectors where the slide power goes through the frame. These have been known to create numerous headaches.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                It could be that the GFI is faulty.

Also there is no "real" wiring diagram just a "wiring plan" GD should provide that for you if you call Customer Service with your VIN. It basically shows where items are located and not how they are wired together.

Brian
                Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try giving them a call!

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

A GFCI trips when it senses there's a difference between the current on the hot and neutral (they should be equal). From your description, there could be a problem with the neutral or hot shorted to ground wire.

If you're unsure of anything that follows, ask for clarification or (even better) consider hiring an electrician.

First--disconnect ALL power to the trailer. No shore power (completely disconnect the cable from the rig), disconnect the negative on the battery, and also disconnect the solar power (if so equipped). Nothing should be powered in the camper.

Now reset the GFCI (it will stay in since there's no power applied).

Using a digital multimeter, look for continuity between the hot and neutral (should be infinite resistance, or show "OL" on a digital meter).

Check for continuity between hot and ground. This should also show infinite resistance.

Check also for continuity from neutral to ground. This should also show infinite resistance.

Name:	outlet example.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	95755

Diagram partially snipped from https://www.nickleelectrical.com/thr...-prong-outlet/

I suspect at least one of the tests will show there's 0, or a low level, of resistance (which is not good).

Howard
                  I really appreciate the overview and guidance. I'll build this into my troubleshooting plan. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    nmluthy -- using the floorplan of your trailer (off of GD's website at https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...78mbs-378mbs-r ) put an "X" on the location where an outlet does not work.

Based on the limited information available to me (that may not be right) below is my guess on what does not work. Is it right? If not, post a correction (your own diagram).

Name:	378MBS.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	95758

You basically hit the nail on the head for the location. Only two additions and those are the under cabinet on the "coffee" / "taco" bar (depending on who you talk to as to what they seem to call it haha). But both sets of outlets under the cabinets are also tripped / out / not working.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                      After removing all loads from receptacles.....make sure you include the outdoor one(s)....I would replace the offending receptacle. GFCI receptacles are very cheaply built and prone to failure.
                      On the other hand......you are under warranty. So you could bring it in....but up to you
                      In the reading i've tried to do i've certainly heard that there are sometimes subpar GFI components. and/or their implementation leaves the susceptible to jiggle loose during the rolling earthquake. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        Don't forget to check the Molex connectors where the slide power goes through the frame. These have been known to create numerous headaches.
                        Ok! Thanks; not sure i'm familiar with Molex connectors but i'll do some reading!

Comment

nmluthy

There's a lot of information on the forum about the Molex connectors which (hopefully) you'll find through searching. However, based on your feedback it is unlikely (IMO) that a molex connector is the issue. Why? Because molex connectors are used to transition the standard household (not very flexible) wiring in the interior of the camper to the flexible wiring required due to the slides. None of the outlets you've identified as being inoperative are in a slide, so there shouldn't be a molex connector associated with the wiring.

Have you verified there's power going through the main circuit breaker and that the neutral is tight in the Power Distribution Panel? This problem should be (relatively) easy to isolate.

Forgive the soapbox...if you're not familiar with troubleshooting electrical circuits there's no shame in calling for an electrician or RV tech that knows what they are doing. If you proceed yourself be careful! 120vAC can and will "bite". (Paying someone to find the issue will be a whole lot less expensive than a trip to the ER.)

Howard

Comment

Ok! Thanks; not sure i'm familiar with Molex connectors but i'll do some reading!
                            There will be two for each slide - if the slide has 120V outlets in the slide. One molex will be inside the frame where the flex cable (think round extension cord looking) comes out to go to the slide. The second will be inside the slide where the flex changes back to romex. I would start with the kitchen slide. Are the 120v plugs working there. I ask as they should be on the GFI too (look for a label on the plug face. However the real first place to start is using your multimeter on the outlets as Howard has mentioned in post Announcements and Site Feedback Have you don that yet. Just trying to help.
                            Keith
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks both for the additional context. howson - I wholeheartedly agree. I had someone come over that is far more intune with electricity. We actually worked through socket by socket on the GFI string and found that somewhere between the kitchen island outlet and the outlet above the stove which is where the sequence "ends" is where the issue lies. The socket behind the stove is not marked as "GFI protected" but might be as the stove isn't working - that or i've got two issues to work. We ended up temporarily terminating the GFI sequence at the island and I'm gonna get a service appointment set up. We successfully got 7 GFI protected sockets "back" and only have the oven and the outlet by the stovetop out of service.

Comment

Working...
                              X