Extra Converter laying around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra Converter laying around?

On my recent solar/lithium upgrade, I replaced the 55 amp factory converter to one made specifically made for lithium. I had the old one on the shelf and was considering selling it. Then I got this idea of installing it also into the system right next to the lithium battery and able to plug in to the 120V outlet in the bay. That way if I ever need extra charging power (less time) when using the generator during cloudy days I could plug it in and use both converters to charge the battery. The battery is capable of getting 200 amps of charge power. The old converter will only help out up until 80% full on the battery but that is good enough for a generator charge.

Has anyone out there done this? Make sense???
    Mitchell & Kitty
    2022 Imagine 2670MK

Unless both are capable of working ar the same output voltage, I don't see that both will work.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Mitchell & Kitty -- interesting thought. While no one has specifically tried what you're suggesting, there are several threads that are kind of similar. Do a search (google or DuckDuckGo) using the following criteria stock converter lithium solar controller charge battery site:gdrvowners.com You'll have lots to read!

Consider consulting with WFCO and ask them if putting the two different chargers (in parallel) is advisable.

Howard

Edit: I agree with TedS
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

This sounds like an idea that I would have thought of but never did and I do have a spare lithium compatible converter/charger that I carry with me, just in case. It does make sense to me that this would work in theory but I would guess, and this is only a guess, the 2 chargers may fool each other into thinking that the battery or batteries are fully charged and each may go into float mode and then they would think that they need more power, and so on and so on. Now this all sounds good in my mind but far from a electrical genius thoughts.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I contacted WFCO and amazingly heard back from them in a couple of hours. They said it isn't advisable to have 2 converters on the same battery. Oh well, I tried....

Thanks for the feedback!
          Mitchell & Kitty
          2022 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell & Kitty View Post
            I contacted WFCO and amazingly heard back from them in a couple of hours. They said it isn't advisable to have 2 converters on the same battery. Oh well, I tried....

Thanks for the feedback!
            I just saw your thread. A couple of years ago, I was approached by an owner at the Quartzsite Arizona rally about a problem he was having with his battery charging. When I investigated, I found that he'd installed a second converter. Both converters were sensing each other and it tricked them into thinking the battery was charged. So it throttled back the charging current on both of them. When I pulled the fuse on one of the converters, the other went to full (bulk) charging mode immediately.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

If you have more than one battery, you could hook one converter charger to one battery with a disconnect between that battery and the rest of the unit. Then when you need fast charging, open the disconnect and power up the second converter which is only hooked to the now isolated battery.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
              X