Solar Ready Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Ready Wiring

We have a 2021 Reflection 150 278BH that is supposed to be solar ready. I have found a junction box on the roof to connect the solar panels to. I have been looking for the wires from that junction box and found a a pair of wires in the front bay above the battery with a solar label. The two wires are physically connected coming into the bay. One wire is red and has a 30 amp in line fuse. The second wire has black markings and is smaller than the red wire. Are these the solar ready wires from the roof junction box? The red wire may be 6 awg, but the second wire is smaller. If these wires are intended to carry current from the solar panels down to a controller, should they be the same gauge. Thanks, Dave.

On my travel trailer there is a red and a black wire coiled up under the tongue. Both are same gauge.

Comment

PaddlerDave

IMHO the best way to confirm those are the solar wires and their polarity is to do a continuity check. Do you have a digital multimeter and know how to use it? If you need help the process can be conveyed here (just ask!).

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by PaddlerDave View Post
        We have a 2021 Reflection 150 278BH that is supposed to be solar ready. I have found a junction box on the roof to connect the solar panels to. I have been looking for the wires from that junction box and found a a pair of wires in the front bay above the battery with a solar label. The two wires are physically connected coming into the bay. One wire is red and has a 30 amp in line fuse. The second wire has black markings and is smaller than the red wire. Are these the solar ready wires from the roof junction box? The red wire may be 6 awg, but the second wire is smaller. If these wires are intended to carry current from the solar panels down to a controller, should they be the same gauge. Thanks, Dave.
        Dave The only way to tell is strip the wire end and use a wire gauge to check. However if you look close there should be printed labeling on the wires themselves. How much slack do you have to look? The insulation may be thicker on the red wire too. I am surprised at your 6 awg guess as most are 10 awg. Depending on the length of the wire run and you planned panel sizes you may be good. Give GD customer service a call (have you Vin handy) and they should be able to tell you what they used. Also is the box on the roof labeled Furrion? If so that is a unique connector, (do a search) but there are adapters out now for standard cabling that comes with most panels.

Hope this helps
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, all good suggestions. The box on the roof is by Jaboni. I do have a multimeter, but there is roof sealant over the Jaboni box and I do not want to break it open as I do not have sealant to reseal it with. I tried scanning the QR code that says solar ready. I ended up at a FAQ page at GD. I called customer service at GD and they confirmed that the solar prep is the roof box and wires down to the battery compartment. The red wire is 10 awg and has a 30 amp inline fuse. The black wire does not have any markings on it. Both wires terminate in wago connectors. I have not yet removed the wago connector on the black wire, but will check the gauge in the near future. Thanks for the help. Now on to getting the controller and inverter mounted and connected.
          Dave​

Comment

Working...
          X