No announcement yet.

Solar Charge Controller switching from lithium to sealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My lithium setting stuck until the weather began to cool, then the setting began switching to AGM. Temperature sensor/ambient temperature related?
    Dave & Mary Wichita, Kansas
    2022 Reflection 150 280RS
    2022 RAM 2500 4x2 SB Crew Cab Hemi 4.10 Axle Air Suspension
    Companion OEM Slider set over the axle at 17"
    Leer HF650M Tonneau Cover

Comment

OK, guys. I don’t see a resolution to this issue… other than replacing the Furrion solar charger. I also have the 50A MPPT Furrion charger (with the 370W solar panel) and it resets to the default sealed battery setting when the sun goes down. So my morning ritual includes opening the front compartment and set the charger to LiFePo.

I tried the “factory reset” mentioned earlier. No difference in performance.. I cant imagine that it would be any different the having the sun on the other side of the planet.

I can only assume that there is a way to program the thing so that the default setting is LiFePo.

Has anyone seen a solution?

Regards,,
      David & Lucie
      2023 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Platinum CC SB SRW

Comment

I have to believe that a bad batch of these controllers went out. I am having the same issue. I contacted Lippert and we did the troubleshooting dance. They created a ticket indicating that it was defective. I then contacted Grand Design who sent me a new controller without question. I will get that installed this week.
        2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
        2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
        YouTube Chanel

Comment

David_swnsn

Please let GD Customer Service know that you are having the same issue, I would guess that you should get the same outcome as above.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

As of this past week I have correspondence with Furrion that my MPPT is defective and that I should contact my dealer for warranty service. I just wrote to GD customer service.

I’ve already replaced my charger with a Victron 100/30 MPPT. I have single 165W PV and only needed a 15A charger, but I wanted #6 AWG lugs to match my existing wiring. The 15A MPPT only has #10 AWG lugs.

I can configure the Victron unit with my smartphone by Bluetooth and set it as recommended by Battle Born for my battery. I plan to carry the defective charger as spare, but if I actually receive a new unit I’ll sell it.
            Last edited by Country Campers; 05-07-2023, 05:02 PM. Reason: font size

Comment

Thanks guys. I will contact GD. I already have a service appointment In June for my cracked skylight. I will ”grease the skids” as they say regarding the defective Furrion controller.
              Last edited by David_swnsn; 05-07-2023, 06:11 PM. Reason: Fixing typos (as usual on my phone)
              David & Lucie
              2023 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Platinum CC SB SRW

Comment

I used the GD customer service web form to submit a request. I never received an automated response. I then called (yesterday) and the agent stated that my inquiry failed if I didn't get an automated response. He generated a case number and emailed me to which I replied.

I had previously corresponded with Furrion and had the Furrion case number (they agreed my controller needed to be replaced by GD). So I furnished GD specific information about the controller (model, S/N), qouted the Furrion statement indicating replacement was necessary. I also included the Furrion case number.

Comment

I got the replacement controller installed today. It is a bit different than the original. I should have taken a picture of the new one but didn’t. This is a picture of the old one. Everything inside the red circle is not on the new controller. Hopefully, that is a sign that they made the necessary improvements.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AE9C3551-1D0C-4031-898D-39E8F352A337.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	112003
                  2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
                  YouTube Chanel

Comment

Update - morning #4 and the solar controller is still in lithium mode
                    YouTube Chanel

Comment

Glad the new one is working as it should!
                      Nels & Vanessa
                      2022 Reflection 31MB
                      2022 Chevy 3500 4x4 SRW Standard Bed Duramax, BW OEM non slider hitch custom 7000 axles w dual panhard rods and G rated tires.

Comment

I'll jump in here because I have the same problem with my 50A Furrion Controller. It will not stay on Lithium for any length of time. I wrote GD Customer service and they asked me to send them pictures of the the front and back of the unit. I sent them pic's of the front and end of the unit where it's wired. We'll see what they tell me next.
                        I have a 2022 341RDS and months ago I realized the two Battle Born batteries were not charging all the way. After researching I discovered the controller that came with the unit was was not lithium compatible, so I called Progressive Dynamics they told me I needed model #PD-9160ALV, so I ordered that one and installed it.
                        I'll let you know what if anything I learn from GD.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryB View Post
                          I'll jump in here because I have the same problem with my 50A Furrion Controller. It will not stay on Lithium for any length of time. I wrote GD Customer service and they asked me to send them pictures of the the front and back of the unit. I sent them pic's of the front and end of the unit where it's wired. We'll see what they tell me next.
                          I have a 2022 341RDS and months ago I realized the two Battle Born batteries were not charging all the way. After researching I discovered the controller that came with the unit was was not lithium compatible, so I called Progressive Dynamics they told me I needed model #PD-9160ALV, so I ordered that one and installed it.
                          That should work. I installed the same converter and the new solar controller has continued to work since I installed it. Just got back from 10 days on the road - no problems.
                          YouTube Chanel

Comment

I have to credit Grand Design customer service. My warranty period ends next week and I'm travelling with the defective 50A MPPT. I furnished them my Furrion case number and they ordered/shipped a replacement unit (with a call tag for the defective unit return) even though I would not return the defective unit until mid-June when I return home. My neighbor has the replacement unit now.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryB View Post
                              After sending an email to Customer Service they contacted Lippert and Lippert said they would replace the Furrion Controller. I just installed it and so for it appears to working as designed. I did notice as mentioned in a previous post that some of the connections on the back of the old unit were not on the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
                                I have to credit Grand Design customer service. My warranty period ends next week and I'm travelling with the defective 50A MPPT. I furnished them my Furrion case number and they ordered/shipped a replacement unit (with a call tag for the defective unit return) even though I would not return the defective unit until mid-June when I return home. My neighbor has the replacement unit now.
                                I just received my new unit but there were no instructions for returning the old unit.

Comment

Working...
                                X