battery charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery charging

Hello we are getting a covered rv spot that has electric hook up for battery charging they have a110v or 30 amp setup for cord but either way only 15 amps , my question is which way is easiest use a adaptor run a 110v cord or regular 30 power cord? Guess worried about theft of cord copper thing also does my battery cut off switch need to be turn on or off or does it matter? If battery is kept up in charge state thru winter any need to remove battery during winter months?
    Thanks​
    2020 Transcend 221RB

You should use the regular cord to the rig. The adapter is fine but not really good enough for running the AC at 15amps. The battery switch must be in the on position for battery charging.

Jim

Comment

eagledad I agree, I'd use the included shore cord. If worried about theft you could put a bike lock through the handle and around something.

Keep in mind if left plugged in all the time you'll eventually cook your battery. I'd check the water levels in the battery every month just to be sure.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

If you are worried about chord theft, find a long hasp lock that will allow for 2 passes of the chord through it. Wrap the chord around something like the bumper, or a pole in the storage unit, then put the hasp of the lock around the in and out of the chord so it cannot be simply un wrapped from around the object.

I saw this done with a welding lead on a job site. That was the only welding lead that did not get re tasked every night to a different job. Amazing what happens when you lock both ends to a hand rail.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          You should use the regular cord to the rig. The adapter is fine but not really good enough for running the AC at 15amps. The battery switch must be in the on position for battery charging.

Jim
          not planning on running ac just maintaining battery

2020 Transcend 221RB

Comment

Originally posted by eagledad View Post
            Very good. As Neil pointed out, its not advisable to keep the rig connected thinking the converter will trickle charge to maintain the battery. It will eventually cook it. Fully charge the battery, then disconnect the feed on the negative battery post. Having the switch turned off will not entirely kill power to the battery where items such as CO meter, radio memory and other functions will eventually kill the battery because the switch does not turn off these items.

Jim

Comment

Alternative suggestions (food for thought):
              1)Charge the battery to full charge and then disconnect it (remove the negative). It should be fine. Charge it again before first use in the spring.

2) If you're set on maintaining the battery with a charger, instead of the main power cord to the trailer (thus using the trailer's converter to maintain the battery), why not use a standard inexpensive extension cord directly connected to a Battery Tender (bypassing the camper)? There may be an issue getting the Tender tucked away neatly in the battery box, so some re-work of how the Tender connects to the battery may be needed (replace the alligator clamps with lugs and extend the wires so the Tender can be in the passthru or somewhere out of sight).

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Another option that I use myself and tell all my friends.....the RV shore cord does not need plugged in if you just use a smart low amperage battery maintainer. They do not overcook the batteries like I have seen other chargers and converter/chargers do. You can run one of these with a cheap extension cord. I try and keep the maintainers inside the camper under lock and key and dangle the power cord with plug out of one of the holes or nooks in the camper. Easy peasy!
                40-year Camping Enthusiast
                2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Different experience. I leave my trailer plugged in all the time to keep the batteries charged. Haven't cooked one, yet. AGM batteries. You do have to check on flooded wet batteries from time to time.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I disconnect where there is nothing to check. In the spring, the battery is still charged. There really is no need to trickle charge a battery. Even the small motorcycle battery in my Champion generator will still be charged in the spring with no attention. Where we live, folks with boats do the same with no issues. Now for my lithium battery, I bring it home to keep it out of sub zero weather and store it at 50% SOC. Lead acid and AGM should be stored at 100% SOC and can sit in the cold.

Jim

Comment

A lead-acid battery (flooded or AGM) has a self discharge rate of about 5% per month at room temperature and less than this at colder temperatures. Thus, a fully charged and completely disconnected battery will still be above 80% state of charge after winter storage.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hello we are getting a covered rv spot that has electric hook up for battery charging they have a110v or 30 amp setup for cord but either way only 15 amps , my question is which way is easiest use a adaptor run a 110v cord or regular 30 power cord? Guess worried about theft of cord copper thing also does my battery cut off switch need to be turn on or off or does it matter? If battery is kept up in charge state thru winter any need to remove battery during winter months?
                        Thanks​
                        If you are worried about theft due to the copper in your shore cord then there are no locks that will prevent the theft. Wire cutters are very swift and efficient.
                        Mike and (RIP Karen)
                        2021 2600RB
                        2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Working...
                        X