Hardwired Power Watchdog installation in a 303 or similar floorplan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardwired Power Watchdog installation in a 303 or similar floorplan

One of my off-season projects is the installation of my PWD.in my 303. Seems like behind the basement wall is the easy place to get to the incoming power and mount the PWD. But if I put it back there, I can’t see the display or status lights. Anybody installed one with a better idea for the location?

Is the app sufficient for monitoring the status?

I’m still poking around looking for the best spot with the least wiring required, so any ideas are welcomed.

John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

I am not sure of the size compared to the Progressive Industries EMS but I put my EMS on the floor underneath the bottom draw in the hutch. I have easy access to it if needed. Maybe the PWD will fit under there and you can open the drawer to see the display.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      I put my EMS on the floor underneath the bottom draw in the hutch. I have easy access to it if needed.

Brian
      I know where I'm putting my EMS now. Thanks Brian!
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Jkwilson The incoming power wire is behind the left had door on the hutch. I've contemplated removing the securing screw (there is a catch like the rest of the doors on it) thus allowing access to the bit of space between the door and the HWH. This would give an easy to access location along with minimal wiring needed to add the EMS.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          I am not sure of the size compared to the Progressive Industries EMS but I put my EMS on the floor underneath the bottom draw in the hutch. I have easy access to it if needed. Maybe the PWD will fit under there and you can open the drawer to see the display.

Brian
          Thanks for the idea. Don’t know if it will work, but it gives me another option to consider as I see how the wiring lays out.

John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            Jkwilson The incoming power wire is behind the left had door on the hutch. I've contemplated removing the securing screw (there is a catch like the rest of the doors on it) thus allowing access to the bit of space between the door and the HWH. This would give an easy to access location along with minimal wiring needed to add the EMS.
            If you do remove the screw, remember to check the door before opening the slide. On our first outing with our 303, the drawer above that door had opened while we were traveling. We didn't notice and opened, or tried to open, the kitchen slide.

Messed up the drawer some..my first repair on the new trailer.
            So if that door opened while you were traveling....you will likely have a similar experience. Not saying don't do it, just look at it before you open the slide.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Scott, it has a latch just like the right door and all of the other cabinet doors in the camper. Agree that one should be aware of all of the potential items that can get behind slides when opening, including broom handle on the inside and tree limbs on the outside (not me, but a co worker).

As for Drawers, ensure that you keep objects with significant weight from shifting around in the drawers as the drawer guide locking mechanism is used. Drawer guide locking mechanism are not very strong for the weight a drawer could carry. Since the door is relatively light and there will be nothing behind it to push through the latch, there should not be any issues with it opening.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jkwilson I have only a small amount of experience with the WatchDog app, but it is straightforward and easy to set up. I'll get more experience with it this winter. It did catch a non-bonded connector I had on the generator and put out the correct error code. The only negative I can think of for the hard-wired unit is that there are no integral small junction boxes for connecting the wires.
                Ottertail, Minnesota
                2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

I've been contemplating the same thing except I have the plug-in version of the Watch Dog AND I have the Hughes Autoformer. I've opened up the wall in the hold and plan to cut the line there and install a male and female plug/receptacle on the cord between the converter and the exterior receptacle. Then I can add the two Hughes products. If I sell the RV, I can remove them and plug the original cord back together.
                  Bruce and Michelle - and Callie (GSD)
                  2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4L HEMI
                  2023 Reflection 303RLS (purchased 9/2022)

Comment

Just FYI - the attachment may or may not be useful - but may give some hints of how to best install an EMS. I am considering to hardwire an EMS in our 337RLS, and this document was shared by another member.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X