Winterizing with solar panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing with solar panel

Hello everyone, I am winterizing my 2022 Reflection 31MB. I live in Long Island New York. Do I need to remove the battery or will the furrion solar panel and MPPT solar charge controller keep the battery charged throughout the winter. If I do remove the battery, does the, solar panel need to be covered, and the solar charge controller need to be turned off. There is no on and off button on my model. Happy Thanksgiving and thank you in advance for your help.

If you will not receive any snow cover on the panel then you could leave it as is but I would suggest the following.

I would cover the panel and remove the cables from the battery posts, then I would remove the positive and negative wires from the solar panel to the solar controller, it is not good to leave the panel hooked up to the controller with no battery attached to the controller. Tape the wires from the solar panel so they do not contact anything and leave it sit till spring. Make sure that the battery is fully charged and it should make it thru the winter, you can take the battery home and put it on a trickle charger a few times thru the winter if you want. This would also be a good time to add some disconnects, one between the solar panel and the solar controller and one between the solar controller and the battery, makes for easier removal next time.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you so much for all that information ans your quick response... much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        If you will not receive any snow cover on the panel then you could leave it as is but I would suggest the following.

I would cover the panel and remove the cables from the battery posts, then I would remove the positive and negative wires from the solar panel to the solar controller, it is not good to leave the panel hooked up to the controller with no battery attached to the controller. Tape the wires from the solar panel so they do not contact anything and leave it sit till spring. Make sure that the battery is fully charged and it should make it thru the winter, you can take the battery home and put it on a trickle charger a few times thru the winter if you want. This would also be a good time to add some disconnects, one between the solar panel and the solar controller and one between the solar controller and the battery, makes for easier removal next time.

Brian
        I also have a 2022 31mb and live on LI. You comment on if you don't get snow you can leave it as is. We don't really get much snow, especially where i am on the east end (mostly surrounded by water). Even when we do it is usually gone in a day or two. Is the concern that if the panel is covered in snow the battery will eventually drain? I have solar on my house and the panels have no problem getting covered in snow, just don't produce power. I know it is not totally apples to apples, with the battery and all. I'm not overly concerned about this lead acid battery, I have 2 Lithium batteries and another panel coming to upgrade system.
        Thanks
        2022 Reflection 31MB
        2022 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab, 8'bed, Gasser, 3454 Payload

Comment

Originally posted by DMScheer View Post

I also have a 2022 31mb and live on LI. You comment on if you don't get snow you can leave it as is. We don't really get much snow, especially where i am on the east end (mostly surrounded by water). Even when we do it is usually gone in a day or two. Is the concern that if the panel is covered in snow the battery will eventually drain? I have solar on my house and the panels have no problem getting covered in snow, just don't produce power. I know it is not totally apples to apples, with the battery and all. I'm not overly concerned about this lead acid battery, I have 2 Lithium batteries and another panel coming to upgrade system.
          Thanks
          Yes the concern is battery drain when the panel is covered in snow, or any other shade as you know from your house panels.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We have a new 2022 Imagine 2600RB. I had searched for information on the best way to winterize the solar. Kept getting differing opinions. After much reading and thought, I decided the best route would be to build a domed cover to go over the solar panel. The panel is made out of PVC lumber for the frame and a thin white fiberglass panel found at the home store. I chose white as it reflects heat better and making it curved, water will run right off. Weight was a consideration as I planned to have the cover rest on the solar panels metal framework. To ensure total darkness when covered, I blacked out the underside of the fiberglass. I also installed a couple of 2" soffit vents on each end to ensure venting. The cover does not sit on the roof by design and I used a couple of bungee cords wrapped around the underside of the solar panel to ensure it stays in place. Once installed, the solar panel stopped producing power. I was then able to disconnect my battery and bring it home for winter storage/trickle charging.

Jim & Kathy
            2022 Imagine 2600RB
            2022 RAM 1500 e-torque set-up for towing
            Jim & Kathy
            2022 Imagine 2600RB
            2022 RAM 1500 Limited Longhorn, Hemi e-Torque, 3:92,
            trailer tow pkg, 4x air suspension, TT TPMS.

Comment

Working...
            X