Champion Dual Fuel 2000W Generator Model 100402

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion Dual Fuel 2000W Generator Model 100402

So first--the "why". Why did I choose this specific generator?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator 1.JPG
Views:	2104
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	9963

My requirements were:
    1) Ability to recharge Battle Born batteries if shore power is not available. (I want to "boondock" at Harvest Host sites on travel days.)
    2) Run generator on propane
    3) Small enough for me to lift and store (not run!) in front storage compartment
    4) Electric start*
    5) Run bedroom air conditioner if conditions require it (hot and/or humid with no shore power)
    6) Run in the rain without having to build/create a compartment

*The Champion met all but one of the conditions--it doesn't have an electric starter. It didn't make sense (to me) to buy Harbor Freight's Predator or the small Honda since I'd have to modify them to run on propane voiding the warranty. The cost of the Predator plus the mod kit would have equaled this Champion ($599) by the time I was done. The Honda is double the price before the mod kit.

Name:	Generator 2.JPG
Views:	2456
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	9962

It also has the ability (as many small generators also have) of running in parallel with a second unit if required. I don't envision that being required but it is nice to have the option.

For the rain requirement, Champion makes a rain shield specifically made for their line of generators. Luckily I received the shield today as sure enough it rained during initial testing!

The cover is relatively easy to install and once assembled is super easy to get on and off. The yellow cover sits on top of the flexible white arms. The black straps wrap around the extension arms to hold the cover in place. Slip off the black straps from each extension arm and the cover pops right off. Loosen the ratchet strap and the rest of the contraption comes off in seconds. Minor gripe is the storage bag for everything is extra, so I have another item to order. The storage bag should come with it cover IMO.

Name:	Generator 3.JPG
Views:	1866
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	9964

Name:	Generator 4.JPG
Views:	1893
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	9965

Not a requirement but a "darn" is the generator does not have an hour meter--I'll have to figure out how to add one.

I'll save the operational notes for my next post in this thread. It may take me a bit so if someone chimes in before I get it posted look down the thread for it.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

This is post #2 on the initial review on the Champion Dual Fuel Generator model 100402. This post will focus on the run performance.

The generator requires a 5 hour break-in run at various loads not to exceed 50% of its rating. On propane the running wattage is 1440 which translates to 12A of 120vAC, so the object was to keep it under 6A with varying loads.

Without sounding too much like a "fan boy", the Victron inverter I purchased and installed a while ago made the break-in process super simple. I programmed the inverter to take no more than 7.5A (I know that's more than 6A--I initially goofed on the math) so the display on the inverter never went over 50%. While I'm on this topic, the inverter will keep me from overloading the generator, too. I'll set the inverter to only pull a maximum of 12A. If I (or the wife) inadvertently turn on too much in the trailer the inverter will go into "Assisting" mode to provide the extra required power. If below 12A of draw, any extra is sent to the batteries automatically. I am very pleased with abilities of the Victron--worth every penny IMHO.

The video below will show you how the Victron restricts the power pulled from the generator.

But enough on the Victron--this post is supposed to be about the generator!

While not obnoxious, I don't classify the generator as "quiet". Here's a short video of me starting and running it, along with a "live" shot of the rain cover:

After running the full 5 hours with the various loads for break in I changed the oil and did a battery charge test under full load. While I was changing the oil in the generator I had the air conditioner in the camper running off the Battle Borns to run them down a bit. I started at ~3:30 with 89% battery capacity. I restricted the Victron to 12A from the shore power connection (1440 is the generator's maximum running watts on propane per the manual).

Click image for larger version  Name:	start.JPG Views:	0 Size:	271.2 KB ID:	9967

During the charging process I made sure the "Eco" setting was off on the generator. Nominal 12V charging current was ~81A.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Charging.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.1 KB ID:	9968

The four 100aH Battle Born batteries in the system were charged to 100% by 4 pm. Thirty minutes for ~10% capacity. (The math is easy to extrapolate from there assuming a linear curve.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	End.JPG Views:	0 Size:	167.8 KB ID:	9969
    Bottom line: Initially I am very pleased with the results and how everything in the system I have works together. As always, many thanks to the other forum members who, by posting their experiences, led to my informed purchase. (I'm especially thinking of you, @TucsonJim!)

Any questions--fire away.
    Last edited by howson; 01-03-2020, 09:41 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

We are happy with our Champion 3600 electric start generator. Does not run on propane. This would have been a positive to eliminate carrying gasoline on long trips where the plan would be to fill the can once we get to our destination. Any fuel left over prior to travel could be dumped into the truck tank as its a gas burner.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        Not a requirement but a "darn" is the generator does not have an hour meter--I'll have to figure out how to add one.
        Howard - this hour meter will work for you. Double sided sticky tape it to a convenient place and drill a small hole into your generator case. Run the meter wire into the case and wrap it around your spark plug wire multiple times. Bob's yer uncle.

-jeff

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A43PKOE...v_ov_lig_dp_it
        2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by JeffC View Post

Howard - this hour meter will work for you. Double sided sticky tape it to a convenient place and drill a small hole into your generator case. Run the meter wire into the case and wrap it around your spark plug wire multiple times. Bob's yer uncle.

-jeff

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A43PKOE...v_ov_lig_dp_it
          Thanks, Jeff! I've got the yellow one on order.

Comment

Adding the hour meter was very, very easy. The spark plug wire (hour meter wire wraps around it) is directly under where I decided to mount the meter. The 8 minute video linked below (by Long Long Honeymoon) is informative and shows all you need to know. I decided to screw the meter to the case so it sits flush vs using adhesive tape as shown in the video.

As you can see from the pic, I also received the bag for the canopy. Makes storing the rain canopy easy and convenient--everything's in one bag.

Name:	Hour Meter.JPG
Views:	1730
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	10265

I also added a magnetic oil dipstick and purchased a oil change funnel that (hopefully) will alleviate spilling oil inside of the unit during a change. Just gee-whiz info...but if interested the 2 minute video below will show you the components installed and that should explain why I bought them (from Amazon).

Only generator-related project left is to find a way to secure it in the front storage compartment. Hopefully that gets done tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Thanks, Jeff! I've got the yellow one on order.
              I have purchased 3-4 of these hour meters as well, one for my generator, another for the lawn mower, etc. The thing I dislike about the ones I have (and they look exactly the same as the ones linked) is there is no way to replace the battery due to the epoxy.
              Steve & Katey
              2020 Ford F-350 DRW (5361 payload)
              2018 Reflection 337RLS (current)
              2024 Solitude 390RK (on order)

Comment

I bought the 2000w model this summer and converted the propane hose so it can connect to the low pressure propane connector on the rig using a quick connect fitting on the generator’s safety valve. I modified the original regulator with a quick connect so it can still be used with a tank. This setup means I don’t have to carry fuel or an extra propane tank. With the 15’ hose I can safely run the genny away from the rig. It works just like being connected to a tank.

Bob

Name:	010BA648-58F3-4BCA-84C4-986D3D2F87EA.jpeg
Views:	1786
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	33121
                2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
                2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Thanks to all for some great information here. I'm looking at getting the 2500W version for our Reflection 150/260 RD, and the dual fuel for the reasons listed here.howson I really appreciate the video for noise level, but have to wonder how much louder it is sitting on the empty tub as you have in the video? I would think that would add significantly to the noise level.
                  Also, do you think a single generator would handle your bedroom A/C without the battleborn system in the loop? I was thinking of getting two of the 2500W generators to be on the safe side but it sounds like that might not be necessary? What size is your A/C?
                  2021 Reflection 260 RD
                  2020 Ford F-250

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
                    I bought the 2000w model this summer and converted the propane hose so it can connect to the low pressure propane connector on the rig using a quick connect fitting on the generator’s safety valve. I modified the original regulator with a quick connect so it can still be used with a tank. This setup means I don’t have to carry fuel or an extra propane tank. With the 15’ hose I can safely run the genny away from the rig. It works just like being connected to a tank.

Bob

Name:	010BA648-58F3-4BCA-84C4-986D3D2F87EA.jpeg
Views:	1786
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	33121
                    bogen2 I'm new to this, so it's not clear what in your picture you are using in a normal configuration when connecting to your propane connector on the rig. The large regulator came with the generator, right? Is a regulator necessary since there is already one on the trailer? What is the second regulator for?
                    2021 Reflection 260 RD
                    2020 Ford F-250

Comment

Originally posted by RGEarley View Post
                      I really appreciate the video for noise level, but have to wonder how much louder it is sitting on the empty tub as you have in the video? I would think that would add significantly to the noise level.
                      Not sure--but the tub wasn't empty. But as I look back at the video I wish I'd grabbed my sound meter and measured the db. The generator isn't whisper quite, but no where close to the racket the 50A generator I bought as a backup for the house makes when I fire that thing up.

Overall the Champion generates what I consider a reasonable run noise sound level that should be acceptable in a boondocking location other than during "quiet hours".

...do you think a single generator would handle your bedroom A/C without the battleborn system in the loop? I was thinking of getting two of the 2500W generators to be on the safe side but it sounds like that might not be necessary? What size is your A/C?
                      I have yet to use the generator in a real-world situation. So far, when boondocking, I haven't needed to charge my batteries or use the air conditioner. But--since I installed EasyStarts in both of my trailer's air conditioners I expect one of them would run just fine without the inverter setup. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts

Comment

I"ve been following this for some time. I want all the same things you want howson

I realized I watched this video last year, and it's very germane to this conversation, but I never shared it on this forum:
                        https://youtu.be/zwI_GmtNdZQ?t=638

He shows Dometic 15,000 AC with the Micro-Air, and it draws about 1600watts while running. (With the micro-air, there is no startup surge, so running watts is all that is needed).

According to Champions web site:
                        https://www.championpowerequipment.c...uctCategory=11

The running watts on the 2000w unit under propane is 1440W.

Ut Oh!

The 2500w lists as having 1665 running watts. So I think you need at least that, and you'll have to kill the breakers on EVERYTHING else, (fridge, and battery charger especially)
                        Mike
                        2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

RGEarley ,
                          I've only found the 2500 Dual fuel version at camping world, and Acme (Never heard of this place)
                          https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools...uipment-200959
                          https://www.campingworld.com/champio...or-123244.html

This will probably the one I buy. I can't seem to find anything else by other brands with the dual fuel in this size, and I do not want to lift 100lbs
                          Mike
                          2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

bogen2 I'm new to this, so it's not clear what in your picture you are using in a normal configuration when connecting to your propane connector on the rig. The large regulator came with the generator, right? Is a regulator necessary since there is already one on the trailer? What is the second regulator for?
                            I did this mod as well on the 3500 watt version and I can vouch that the thing that looks like the large regulator is still needed. It's not actually a regulator, I think it's done kind of safety valve that measures the flow, but don't quote me on that. When I researched the mod all agreed it was still needed.

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

You must use the large regulator between a normal regulator and the generator. I'm not exactly sure what it does but its definitely needed.

For my setup, you connect the extension hose to the rig's low pressure quick connect located underneath somewhere near the frame. Plug the other end of the hose into the big regulator and then connect to the generator. This allows you to tap into the on board propane that is supplied by the regulator near the tank.

I also attached a quick connect fitting to the original regulator (at the bottom of the pic) so that it can be connected to the big regulator as it was out of the box. This way you can still connect the generator to a loose tank.

Bob
                              2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
                              2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Working...
                              X