Coleman Mach 15k producing high-pitched "squeal"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman Mach 15k producing high-pitched "squeal"

A search revealed no posts on this subject. Has anyone replaced the fan motor on their Coleman Mach 15K unit? A high-pitched squeal started last night so I believe the bearings are shot. The only moving parts in the unit would be the fan and motor I would think. I assume there are bearings in the motor or the fan assembly. I also believe this can be accessed from the top side. Any information would be greatly appreciated.​
    Last edited by BillinTexas; 12-06-2022, 05:03 AM.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Your diagnosis is most likely correct. Family member had the same issue on their Mach 15. We found replacement motors impossible to locate. We where able to find bearings at our local Grainger store and make repairs in our truck shop and it somewhat time consuming. Your only other option is to replace the whole unit,
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK - Carlisle CSL 16 225/75 15, MORryde CRE 3000 & center X cross brace, Sumo springs, Andersen Ultimate Hitch 6-Leaf Double-Eye Spring for 4,500-lb Axles
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
      A search revealed no posts on this subject. Has anyone replaced the fan motor on their Coleman Mach 15K unit? A high-pitched squeal started last night so I believe the bearings are shot. The only moving parts in the unit would be the fan and motor I would think. I assume there are bearings in the motor or the fan assembly. I also believe this can be accessed from the top side. Any information would be greatly appreciated.​
      That happened to me, too, Bill. The bedroom air conditioner squealed horribly. Shut it down, went up on the roof and took off the unit's cover. Fired it back up...and no squeal. No visible indications that anything metallic was rubbing against anything. No shavings or anything else that would give a clue to what was causing the noise.

Put it all back together and has run fine ever since. Very odd.

In direct answer to your question, yes there's a fan motor in your unit. Two shafts come out on both sides. One has an impeller ("gerbal cage") attached and the other a fan blade. While I've never actually replaced the motor, I suspect it's an easy proposition if working on the roof is not an issue. Just don't forget to turn off power and don't go near the capacitors unless you're sure they are discharged. (The "ZAP!" from a capacitor could jerk you right off that roof.)

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airxcel Coleman Mach 15 Parts List_Page_1.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	100854
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Skilletface View Post
        Your diagnosis is most likely correct. Family member had the same issue on their Mach 15. We found replacement motors impossible to locate. We where able to find bearings at our local Grainger store and make repairs in our truck shop and it somewhat time consuming. Your only other option is to replace the whole unit,
        Thanks for the reply. If I just have to do the bearings I'd likely have a mobile tech do it. I'll attempt to find a motor if necessary.

Originally posted by howson View Post

That happened to me, too, Bill. The bedroom air conditioner squealed horribly. Shut it down, went up on the roof and took off the unit's cover. Fired it back up...and no squeal. No visible indications that anything metallic was rubbing against anything. No shavings or anything else that would give a clue to what was causing the noise.

Put it all back together and has run fine ever since. Very odd.

In direct answer to your question, yes there's a fan motor in your unit. Two shafts come out on both sides. One has an impeller ("gerbal cage") attached and the other a fan blade. While I've never actually replaced the motor, I suspect it's an easy proposition if working on the roof is not an issue. Just don't forget to turn off power and don't go near the capacitors unless you're sure they are discharged. (The "ZAP!" from a capacitor could jerk you right off that roof.)

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airxcel Coleman Mach 15 Parts List_Page_1.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	100854
        Oh to be so lucky. I'll get up there later today after I can get on my computer to look at pics I've taken of things when I have cleaned the coils before. I have also been told to add a little penetrating oil to the bearings for a temporary fix. Thanks for the reply, Howard.

Bill & Cindy
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

UPDATE: I turned it on this morning to listen and it is no longer making the noise. Really strange.​ These situations are always good for learning. More later if warranted. It came back after a few minutes though not as intense and comes and goes.
          Last edited by BillinTexas; 12-06-2022, 10:05 AM.
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

Bill, Some bearings will only make noise as temperature increases. In you case, I would look and listen for changes in the motor as outside temperatures change.

I did have an air conditioner that was making funny noises. Come to find out, the foam fan shield was off a bit in the molding that allowed the cooling fan blades on the condenser side to rub. Since you have been in there to clean things, check for dislodged items that could be making contact where it was not before, do not forget to look at the liquid and gas lines where they go through the various baffles and supports under the cover.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2, Joseph, I was just in the unit and cleaned things up and for the moment, it sounds fine. I did use a small amount of penetrating oil at the motor near the bearing. Now my unit only works on low speed. howson I had a purple wire that wasn't connected inside the unit on the roof but really thought there was no way I could have pulled it loose. I need to find a wiring diagram for what I believe is the control board.

Edit: I can reach the wire that isn't connected from the interior so I will kill the power in a bit and hook it up. It appears to be a green thermostat wire so it is likely the high speed connection.
              Last edited by BillinTexas; 12-06-2022, 02:44 PM.
              Bill & Cindy
              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
              SE Texas

Comment

I got the wire attached from below and that was the high-speed wire so everything is working properly now. Everything sounds fine but I will be replacing the fan motor after the first of the year. I believe it will be that it will perform that long. The penetrating oil has the bearings quiet.. I also cleaned both coils while the thing was apart. Temp probe inside showed 18 degrees between air temp and vent air temp.
                Last edited by BillinTexas; 12-06-2022, 05:44 PM.
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                X