Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transcend Xplor redirect of heat duct into underbelly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcend Xplor redirect of heat duct into underbelly?

Question folks……Even running the furnace set at 80 during these windy teen nights my underbelly is not staying warm enough to prevent freezing temps in the belly. I have a heat vent at my ankles if I’m setting at my dinette. It is located right by the fresh water pump which is also under the dinette seat. What would be the problem with removing the duct from the vent and redirecting it back into the underbelly. This would be simple to do and I can use a towel to close the hole into the underbelly where the duct use to come up from?? I only need to operate the furnace when it is at or below freezing because my space heater keeps my temp at 70 even in 40 degree weather??
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    Georgetown, Texas
    Full-Timer

Hi Rivers Smith,

Welcome to our Grand Design Technical Owners Forum.

You might want to do some investigation into why there is not enough heat currently getting into the underbelly. Perhaps the ductwork is twisted or crushed? Unfortunately, this probably requires dropping the underbelly coroplast. If you get into it this far, you might want to consider additional insulation. There are several threads on related ideas. Here is a place to start. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...derbelly/page2

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

My first response is from Rob, how fortunate I am! Thank you for the welcome I am glad to be here. I have used this site for much info and see you involved in a lot of it.

My TT does not have a dedicated underbelly heat duct as do some of GD rv’s. The solid 40 plus hours of low teen temps with 20 to 30 mph winds along with the park water being shut off for 6 hours (while leak fixed) enabled a small blockage to occur (I’m thinking above the low water point drains). If I were able to maintain the trickle in sinks I don’t think I would have had a problem.

I am thinking the redirect of the duct to the underbelly would have prevented it. I already have a heated hose and placed a small space heater in the thruway to keep the docking station warm.

If or when I do have to drop the cloroplast and work in the belly I for sure will look to add some of the ideas you led me to in the link!

Thx
      Georgetown, Texas
      Full-Timer

Comment

Originally posted by Rivers Smith View Post
        My TT does not have a dedicated underbelly heat duct as do some of GD rv’s.
        In the Grand Design online info for your Transcend 240 ML it states "Heated and Enclosed Underbelly " . . . so there must be a duct somewhere going down there.
        https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...nd-xplor/specs see "Season Protection Package"

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Rivers Smith View Post
          My first response is from Rob, how fortunate I am! Thank you for the welcome I am glad to be here. I have used this site for much info and see you involved in a lot of it.

My TT does not have a dedicated underbelly heat duct as do some of GD rv’s. The solid 40 plus hours of low teen temps with 20 to 30 mph winds along with the park water being shut off for 6 hours (while leak fixed) enabled a small blockage to occur (I’m thinking above the low water point drains). If I were able to maintain the trickle in sinks I don’t think I would have had a problem.

I am thinking the redirect of the duct to the underbelly would have prevented it. I already have a heated hose and placed a small space heater in the thruway to keep the docking station warm.

If or when I do have to drop the cloroplast and work in the belly I for sure will look to add some of the ideas you led me to in the link!

Thx
          The other critical thing is to be sure there is a path for the return air flow from the belly. By chance have you sealed any holes around plumbing or other floor penetrations? You might want to check under your sink to be sure the openings are clear and feel for air flow. This might give you a hint if the duck to the belly is compromised. Also if you have access to the back of the furnace check there to see if any of the connections have come loose.

Hope this helps

Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Sure will, thank you very much!
            Georgetown, Texas
            Full-Timer

Comment

Working...
            X