High altitude furnace operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim & Deb View Post

I called Dometic (now owns Atwood) they gave me this part number. It can be found on Amazon. Looks like it only modifies intake/exhaust.

https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-32503-.../dp/B077BG3G2H

Jim
    there is a review on that amazon item where the guy says he changes his jet from #50 to a #60 and didn't even need this vent kit....Needed modifications to fit. It came without a smaller orifice which I had to buy separately. #50 won’t work above 4000 feet elevation. I camp at 8300 and am currently useing a #60 (.040) orifice which works with or without this expensive hi elevation kit."

I'm reading up on this because we camp at pretty high elevations. our main stomping grounds in Pike Forest are at 8800 feet ̶a̶l̶t̶i̶t̶u̶d̶e̶ I mean elevation, and one place we're spending a week is actually at 10,000 feet. I think after reading all this I'm just going to try it out and see what happens. I think there are three things to wonder about; 1) generator 2) water heater 3) furnace.

Last year we camped up there with 5 different RVs we rented off Outdoorsey, including a GD. We didn't notice any real issues with any of them that I would say could be related to a̶l̶t̶i̶t̶u̶d̶e̶ I mean elevation.
    2121 Momentum 31G towed by 2017 Ford F-250 SuperDuty / Gale Banks

Comment

I've been running my furnace with no noticeable problem at home, 7400 feet elevation in SW Colorado. The range burners have a nice blue flame.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

We live at 4,000 ft. and regularly camp up to 7,000+. On occasion will get a short start stop cycle on the water heater but usually just the first cycle, could be just from traveling and air gets in line. We do not give it any worries, that being said in a couple of past units they had a shutter on the burn tube that could be slid left to right for on the spot adjustment of the burn/fuel air mixture. I have not seen this on our last two units but it did a good job of adjusting flame color and efficiency. Wonder why it is not done anymore?

Dave
        flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Working...
        X