furnace spontainously started making noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• furnace spontainously started making noise

this is quite a morning, my third post with problems. The furnace started to make a noise spontaneously, it wasn't even on. Suddenly it started to make a whir and click sound, continuously repeating. The only way I could get it to stop was to turn the furnace on and set the thermostat high. The sound stopped, the furnace tried to run but apparently would not ignite, so it stopped, and I turned it off. The sound started up again. I ran the furnace again, it kept going, but no heat. I turned the furnace off, and the sound hasn't returned (yet). This is weird, any suggestions?

It worked fine yesterday morning in Illinois where the temp was in 30s. The temp here in Mississippi is in the 60s, and heavy rain.

thanks,
    Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
    this is quite a morning, my third post with problems. The furnace started to make a noise spontaneously, it wasn't even on. Suddenly it started to make a whir and click sound, continuously repeating. The only way I could get it to stop was to turn the furnace on and set the thermostat high. The sound stopped, the furnace tried to run but apparently would not ignite, so it stopped, and I turned it off. The sound started up again. I ran the furnace again, it kept going, but no heat. I turned the furnace off, and the sound hasn't returned (yet). This is weird, any suggestions?

It worked fine yesterday morning in Illinois where the temp was in 30s. The temp here in Mississippi is in the 60s, and heavy rain.

thanks,
    Dave
    Almost sounds like there's a short (water?) that's turning on the furnace fan. Very odd.

If you don't need heat and the weird sound returns, try pulling the 12V fuse (should be labeled) and see if it stops. (That's a total SWAG--honestly I have no idea.)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Almost sounds like there's a short (water?) that's turning on the furnace fan. Very odd.

If you don't need heat and the weird sound returns, try pulling the 12V fuse (should be labeled) and see if it stops. (That's a total SWAG--honestly I have no idea.)
      There was a break in the weather, so I opened up the furnace cover. There was a tiny bit of water on the circuit board (just a couple drops). that probably explains the furnace starting by itself.

Now if I try to start it, it will start blowing air, then the flame will ignite and it will run for a short time and turn off. It does this three times then stops. Would this be the limit switch? I'm not sure where it is.

Dave
      2016 Reflection 27RL
      2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
      B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

There was a break in the weather, so I opened up the furnace cover. There was a tiny bit of water on the circuit board (just a couple drops). that probably explains the furnace starting by itself.

Now if I try to start it, it will start blowing air, then the flame will ignite and it will run for a short time and turn off. It does this three times then stops. Would this be the limit switch? I'm not sure where it is.

Dave
        I agree it could be the limit switch, though if there was water on the control board it may have damaged a limit switch related circuit. I doubt it is the sail switch as the gas would never ignite if that was bad.

Check out this thread for more info: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...roubleshooting
        Last edited by howson; 01-11-2020, 06:59 PM.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

thanks,
          Dave
          If the blower ran but the unit failed to ignite I would start at the sail switch and go from there. May need to pull the furnace and check each function in sequence with a meter.......but my gut feeling is the control board!
          Keith and Diane
          2014 Reflection 337 RLS
          2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Dave27
            Hi Dave,

The source of the water might quite likely be the black tank flush vacuum break valve up behind the shower wall. Literature on this valve says that leaking a small amount of water is "normal" and on our Reflections, this valve is directly above the furnace!

colan
            Tagging Colan on this . . . Colan has fixed far more furnaces than any of us. (My guess is also the circuit board damaged by water short circuit)

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob amp;@howson;
              I found a RV repair place that had the control board in stock. I tried the furnace before I went in, and guess what, it worked! I bought the control board anyway, I don't trust this one right now. As of right now, the furnace works fine, and I have a spare control board.

Rob, the rain was so bad, I think that was the source of water. But I might want to check out the black tank vacuum break valve. How do remove the shower wall to get to it? And if it does leak, how do I fix it?

thanks,
              Dave
              2016 Reflection 27RL
              2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
              B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Dave - the pictures I have seen of 2016 27RL have the corner shower like Rob and I have. Here are some pictures of my shower with the cover to remove (remove four screws), the hole in the shower when removed, and some views down the back of the shower to the vacuum break and shower hot/cold connections. Check all the connections as even thought I had no visible leaks, my hot/cold connections were barely hand tight. I did silicone the handle cover edges when re-installed to prevent any water intrusion behind it into the rear of the shower.

Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                  Dave - the pictures I have seen of 2016 27RL have the corner shower like Rob and I have. Here are some pictures of my shower with the cover to remove (remove four screws), the hole in the shower when removed, and some views down the back of the shower to the vacuum break and shower hot/cold connections. Check all the connections as even thought I had no visible leaks, my hot/cold connections were barely hand tight. I did silicone the handle cover edges when re-installed to prevent any water intrusion behind it into the rear of the shower.

Dan
                  thank you for the photos and information. I will check this out.
                  Dave
                  2016 Reflection 27RL
                  2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                  B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Working...
                  X