Only one heat register? What??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only one heat register? What??

Hi y'all we are still trying to decide what trailer to buy... one thing that came to my attention is the duct work in the grand designs.... there is only one heat register for a 40ft fifthwheel??? How on earth does that keep the whole thing warm? It appears it is nothing more than a aluminum flex tube for heating ran to a single register in the island...
    I dont understand how that would work for a 4 season camper... being in colorado and camping at high elevations this is a concern for us... has any one had issues with heating? We have 2 babies so keeping it comfortable for them is important.
    thank you.

Originally posted by Ashley18 View Post
    Hi y'all we are still trying to decide what trailer to buy... one thing that came to my attention is the duct work in the grand designs.... there is only one heat register for a 40ft fifthwheel??? How on earth does that keep the whole thing warm? It appears it is nothing more than a aluminum flex tube for heating ran to a single register in the island...
    I dont understand how that would work for a 4 season camper... being in colorado and camping at high elevations this is a concern for us... has any one had issues with heating? We have 2 babies so keeping it comfortable for them is important.
    thank you.
    I assure you there is more than one heat duct in all of Grand Design's RVs. The great thing about GD is they don't put the registers in the floor, they are tucked under island in the kitchen and in the walls (bedroom and bathroom). You'll know they are heat registers if they are in the wall--all the ceiling registers are air conditioning outlets.

From GD's website (I added arrows!):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	315's Registers.JPG
Views:	615
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	10812

A pic from a recent project (the register in the bedroom looks exactly the same):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	REgister 2.JPG
Views:	605
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	10813
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Ashley18 -- I moved this discussion to the HVAC channel on the Technical Forum.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Ashley18
        If you can provide the specific model that you are considering, we can provide you with details of where all the heater outlets are located. The furnace is most likely 35,000 BTU which is sufficient to keep the RV warm . . . but, you will go through a lot of propane in cold temps.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob we are looking at the reflection 31mb. I was watching some YouTube videos comparing different trailers one said theres only one heat register and I couldn't believe it. Then more videos said the same.. I went back to photos of the specific one we are looking at and I don't see any in the photos..I can only see the one in the island

Comment

howson 🤦‍♀️ thank you lol

Comment

I see that the mods with access to factory references have offered to do some investigation when you provide the model you've been looking at.

In the meantime I'll tell you that our 35' trailer has just one OBVIOUS heating vent in island in the main living area (it also them in bathroom and bedroom). However it also has another huge one that is easily missed. Under the stairs up to the bathroom / bedroom is a huge opening to the utility area of the basement. That basement utility area gets quite hot when the furnace is working, and though not ducted the opening under the stairs allows that heat into the main cabin too.

We have not used our trailer in the very cold conditions you'll experience in Colorado, but we have used it at several degrees below freezing and I've been pleasantly-surprised at how quickly the furnace heats it up. There may not be vents everywhere but the furnace generates a lot of heat and moves it very forcefully out the vents it has.
              Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Cate&Rob we are looking at the reflection 31mb. I was watching some YouTube videos comparing different trailers one said theres only one heat register and I couldn't believe it. Then more videos said the same.. I went back to photos of the specific one we are looking at and I don't see any in the photos..I can only see the one in the island
                boyscout -- you're right. Knowing the model helps a lot to answer questions!

Ashley18 -- There are five heat registers in the 31MB (at least according to the drawings I have access to view). One each in the master bedroom, bathroom, the mid-bunk room, and then two in the island like my 315RLTS.

Comment

Ashley18 - I checked the drawing package for the 31MB and there are heat registers in the following locations:

Island - 2
                  Bunk Room - 1
                  Bathroom - 1
                  Master Bedroom - 1

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Oops - Howard posted the same info right before I did. We're on top of things today!

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thank you guys! You are very helpful !!!

Comment

Cate&Rob we are looking at the reflection 31mb.
                        A reasonable weight 5th wheel with a separate room for the kids . . . what a great idea .
                        If you have any more questions . . . don't hesitate to ask.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob that's what I was thinking. It's better than what we have now for sure. We currently have a little 18ft passport... but it gets pretty crowded when you put 3 big dogs 2 adults and 2 babies in lol
                          thank you

Comment

Ashley18
                            Be careful of the pin weight of the 31MB that you have in mind. This would become about 2200 lbs when the trailer is loaded for camping. With you guys, the hitch, the dogs, the kids and their stuff in the truck you are going to need a truck payload in the 3000 lb range. This is on the tire pressure label on the drivers door. A line that will say something like "combined weight of occupants & cargo must not exceed ???? lbs"

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                            X