Four Seasons Protection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Seasons Protection?

The sticker on the outside of our 2022 280RS proudly proclaims "Arctic Insulation - Four Seasons Protection," After a campout during a Texas summer that extended past the first cold front late last year, I've concluded that "Arctic Insulation" may refer to Fred Arctic - the guy at the factory that does the insulation and the "Four Seasons Protection" applies only if you spend four seasons camping in Hawaii. Even with the A/C and heater, it got very hot and very cold in the trailer from August through November..

Since we're heading for Grand Teton and Glacier National Parks where it is still winter (to us), I thought that I should try to cut down on the outside air infiltration.

The first modification was part of the change to lithium batteries. I removed the battery box with the lead-acid battery, sealed the hole in the metal plate and placed foam board insulation under the 3/4-in. plywood decking in the forward compartment. I then used foam board to insulate the top and sides of the forward compartment.

I then looked at what appears to be the biggest source of air infiltration - the plastic wells located on both sides of the trailer just inside the basement doors. These are thin plastic inserts with holes for inserting your water hose in a way that allows you to keep the hatch closed. This is inside the heated/cooled interior space. Besides the fact the thin plastic has no insulation value, these seemed to have just been dropped in as an afterthought. On the underside, the OSB around the inserts is unpainted and exposed, along with large gaps around the plastic insert.

The simple solution would be to just throw blankets over the inserts while we're camped. But since I had some foam board left over from the battery installation, I felt obliged to make it more complicated.

I cut pieces of foam board and inserted them into the plastic wells, using duct tape to seal the joints. I cut out a 3" hole in the foam on the port side so I can still close the hatch when the water hose is connected (with the knowledge that I'll have to disconnect and drain the hose when temperatures are below freezing). Not pretty - but hopefully effective. Since we carry our leveling blocks in the insert on the starboard side, I used some scrap 3/8" plywood to protect the bottom and sides of the insert and to distribute the weight across the insulation.

I still need to deal with the OSB exposed on the underside of the trailer. Other than paint, any suggestions for how to protect the exposed OSB?
    2022 Reflection 280 RS
    2020 Silverado 2500 HD

I would look into using the Black "Flex Seal" spray on the OSB.
    Amazon.com: Flex Seal Spray Rubber Sealant Coating, 14-oz, Black (1 Pack) : Tools & Home Improvement
    KB​
    2023 Chev 2500HD Duramax
    2022 GD Reflections 337RLS

Comment

BR549, here are some other tips to make your stay in the north country more comfortable. Some of this may depend on whether you stay in an RV Park with hookups, or boondock.

1. Heated mattress pad will make your nights much more comfortable. One with dual controls will allow for personal comfort adjustment.
      2. Space heaters will make the sitting area more comfortable (be careful not to overload a circuit). We never found the electric fireplace to be effective at keeping our feet warm, since it sent hot air into the room a couple of feet above the floor.
      3. A couple of blankets, or just one if you like to cuddle, to put over you when just sitting around.
      4. Using the oven in the evening for casseroles, cornbread, cakes, pies will help warm the trailer.
      5. Don't use the awning or AC during the day (I know this may not be possible, depending on how warm the day gets). Let the trailer soak up as much solar heat as it can. Once the sun goes down the trailer will loose heat quickly in the thin atmosphere.
      6. You can always skirt the bottom of the trailer and around the slides, but this has always seemed extreme to me. There are many options to accomplish this if you're interested.

Be sure to hit Yellowstone NP (hard to miss, going from Grand Teton to Glacier), and IMHO the best way to explore Glacier is by shuttle. The van can be crowded, especially if you try to board it from the west entrance. The east entrance is further from the beaten path so much less crowded.
      John
      2018 Momentum 395M
      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Why, after all the years of Flexseal commercials, didn’t that thought occur to me? Thanks, krbarthel

JBill9694 - thanks for the advice. The staff at Headwaters called a few days ago to let us know that it might be muddy; that there’s still 3 or 4 feet of snow; and the low that night was 19. Full hookups there, but boondocking at Glacier. This is a trip of a lifetime for us and we can’t wait to get started.
        2022 Reflection 280 RS
        2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

A few things I failed to mention, BR549.

The furnace is the main tool for keeping onboard waterlines below the floor, and possibly the holding tanks from freezing. If space heaters are used, they must be set low enough that the furnace will still come on periodically.

Trying to improve insulation and stop drafts is good idea to a point, just remember that outside air needs to be exchanged with inside air for health and safety reasons. The furnace does not include a air exchange, so there need to be enough gaps here and there to let fresh air in.

Moisture is an enemy. Warm, moist air inside the trailer leads to mold, most often in areas where the air is stagnate; closets, behind furniture, back of cabinets, etc. Use vents when showering or cooking. I highly recommend MaxxAir FanMate RV and Trailer Roof Vent Cover or similar so that vents can be used even in inclement weather. Room dehumidifiers can also be used.

Mountain passes in early spring can be troublesome. Stay flexible in your travel plans. Better to arrive a day or too late than risk not arriving at all. Most RV parks in the northwest understand this and we haven't had trouble extending our stay for a day or two. Also, I haven't seen it discussed here before, carrying tire chains, for each tire on your TV and trailer with brakes, is good insurance if the weather gets nasty while your on the road.

So much for the carefree RV life. Travel safe.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

The four seasons of the "Four Seasons Protection" they are referring to...... late spring, early summer, late summer, and early fall..........Canadian opinion...
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
            X