AirXCel 9630*336 thermostat not getting 12v power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AirXCel 9630*336 thermostat not getting 12v power

I've lost 12-volt power to my thermostat. The thermostat is an AirXCel 9630*336 controlling a Coleman Mach 15 with heat pump.

The thermostat display is completely un-lit. The thermostat's internal fuse is good. I don't know which 12v fuse in the main distribution
    panel protects the thermostat, but all 12v fuses in the panel are good.

My digital multi-meter displays less than a tenth of a volt across the thermostat's red and blue leads.

See http://gdrvowners.com/forum/operatio...rmostat-wiring #4 for thermostat wiring diagrams.

The thermostat problem first manifested after I replaced my EMS last year. The EMS is located in the belly of the beast where all the plumbing/wiring/water-heater/furnace resides. Getting the old EMS disconnected and the new one wired was a struggle. I mention this because member BadPosse posted that his "thermostat gets its 12v from the furnace." If my thermostat is also wired that way, I may have disturbed the circuit from the furnace to the thermostat while I was struggling with the EMS wires.

I don't know how to verify that my thermostat gets its 12v power from the furnace -- my water-heater sits on top of my furnace, and the wiring to and from the furnace is concealed. I'd also rather not remove the furnace access panel from outside the trailer. It appears that re-caulking that panel requires particular exactness and skill.

Looking for suggestions to trouble-shoot my dead thermostat problem.

-Steve​
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

steve&renee Which unit is this, the bedroom or living room? My bedroom unit gets it's 12v power from a bundle that comes in and I believe it's common from the lights. My living room is a Dometic, so I'm less help there.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
      steve&renee Which unit is this, the bedroom or living room? ...
      Living room. Thermostat controls AC/Heat/Fan.

-Steve

Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Living room. Thermostat controls AC/Heat/Fan.

-Steve
        Like I said, my living room is a Dometic, so may not be the same, but I do not think the furnace powers the thermostat. Most units have a control board in the AC unit that runs the AC/Heat Pump and furnace, but all it sends to the furnace is a control signal to turn on the unit or not. I would think if you drop your inside AC cover, you should see the wiring for the thermostat going into this control board. When I wired up my bedroom AirXCel there was a 12V feed there that I grabbed power for the thermostat from, if yours is similar you should see that wire in the thermostat bundle spliced to something in the ceiling. See if you have 12V there, it might be that connection, if not then hopefully someone will know where it comes from.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
          I've lost 12-volt power to my thermostat. The thermostat is an AirXCel 9630*336 controlling a Coleman Mach 15 with heat pump.

The thermostat display is completely un-lit. The thermostat's internal fuse is good. I don't know which 12v fuse in the main distribution
          panel protects the thermostat, but all 12v fuses in the panel are good.

My digital multi-meter displays less than a tenth of a volt across the thermostat's red and blue leads.

See http://gdrvowners.com/forum/operatio...rmostat-wiring #4 for thermostat wiring diagrams.

The thermostat problem first manifested after I replaced my EMS last year. The EMS is located in the belly of the beast where all the plumbing/wiring/water-heater/furnace resides. Getting the old EMS disconnected and the new one wired was a struggle. I mention this because member BadPosse posted that his "thermostat gets its 12v from the furnace." If my thermostat is also wired that way, I may have disturbed the circuit from the furnace to the thermostat while I was struggling with the EMS wires.

I don't know how to verify that my thermostat gets its 12v power from the furnace -- my water-heater sits on top of my furnace, and the wiring to and from the furnace is concealed. I'd also rather not remove the furnace access panel from outside the trailer. It appears that re-caulking that panel requires particular exactness and skill.

Looking for suggestions to trouble-shoot my dead thermostat problem.

-Steve​
          Remove the filter and possibly even the lower cover on the grille. Look up and you'll see the control box with a bunch of wires. Most likely it's wired as shown below (take a picture of your control box and compare). Is there 12v at the control box?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	406
Size:	846.1 KB
ID:	112496

Views:	402
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	112497

The PDF the snip above is from is also attached below for your reference.

Installation Instructions for 8 - Airxcel.pdf

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

... if yours is similar you should see that wire in the thermostat bundle spliced to something in the ceiling...
            My thermostat wiring bundle looks like this:

Name:	ThermostatWiringBundle.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	112500

Those 7 wires are all encased in a brown wrapper insulation which snakes down behind the wall where the thermostat is mounted. The red and blue 12v power wires are not spliced near the thermostat at all.

Somerset, WI

Comment

steve&renee The splice will be as Howard shows. Its the red wire tied to the orange and white pair in his picture. You can see the brown bundle right by his thumb in the photo. Most of the wires split off to the board except the red which goes to the 12V supply (orange).

howson In your picture is the white (paired with the orange) tied to the Blue (B-) terminal on the board? It looks like it but I could not make it out.

Steve if so then you should read 12vDC between the red and blue.

Neil Citro

Comment

steve&renee...
                Steve if so then you should read 12vDC between the red and blue.
                I'll let you know tomorrow. . .
                Somerset, WI

Comment

...In your picture is the white (paired with the orange) tied to the Blue (B-) terminal on the board? It looks like it but I could not make it out.
                  Grabbing these stills from a video...

Views:	411
Size:	932.7 KB
ID:	112526

Views:	367
Size:	847.0 KB
ID:	112527

A typical failure point is where the wires are crimped together. The circled junction below should be +12vDC

Views:	361
Size:	924.7 KB
ID:	112528​.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yeah so looking at the first still it looks like the negative side of that is connected to the B- pin, so at the thermostat you should have 12VDC between red and blue, and in the ceiling between that crimp and B-. I agree the crimp is the first thing to check.

Neil Citro

Comment

howson ncitro

You guys are just amazing. I got the AC plenum removed to get access to the control box. There I saw the brown bundle from the thermostat -- and the red 12v+ power lead was just dangling. It was supposed to be connected to a WAGO connector to receive power, but it had come loose. After some twisting and shouting, I finally got it reconnected and the thermostat started working. See the back WAGO connector in the attached photo:

Name:	ThermostatPower.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	112537

The front WAGO connector is 12v(-), with a white wire connected.

Before I button everything back up, I'm going to try to secure the connectors so they don't shake loose again.

Thank you both, very much.

-Steve
                      Somerset, WI

Comment

steve&renee That's great Steve glad you got it tracked down!

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                        X