YM 2020 Imagine 2250RK Coleman AC Vents question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YM 2020 Imagine 2250RK Coleman AC Vents question

I have the Coleman Mach AC with 6.5” OD white vents. They swivel but have no way to dampen/close. Also I see that they may snap on and off somehow but are not affixed buy screws or other external fastener method. I searched Amazon etc for a replacement style that can be dampened / closed to no avail.
    1) does anyone have any knowledge / experience with sourcing and replacing these vents with the dampening style, and 2) what is the effective removal and reattachment method in view of the fact that they are clearly not affixed, which is why they are able to be rotated. MUCH appreciate any and all responses.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
    I have the Coleman Mach AC with 6.5” OD white vents. They swivel but have no way to dampen/close. Also I see that they may snap on and off somehow but are not affixed buy screws or other external fastener method. I searched Amazon etc for a replacement style that can be dampened / closed to no avail.
    1) does anyone have any knowledge / experience with sourcing and replacing these vents with the dampening style, and 2) what is the effective removal and reattachment method in view of the fact that they are clearly not affixed, which is why they are able to be rotated. MUCH appreciate any and all responses.
    I looked on the Grand Design Parts Lookup website (link on the menu bar above) and found the ac register under the settings shown below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagine.JPG
Views:	563
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	12608

GD's part number is 630010.

I then went and looked at my '19 315RLTS' info and found the exact same part number plus the versions that have dampers. You can see the fixed one is the same part number as your Imagine.

Name:	Vents.JPG
Views:	507
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	12609

I then went out and measured the fixed and dampened version in the ceiling of my trailer to see if they are the same size. My conclusion is they are! You *should* be able to just swap in the dampened version as desired. (I assume you know not to close off all outflow from your air conditioner...that would cause a lot of back pressure...so please proceed with caution if you do this!)

Name:	vents 2.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	12610

I'm not certain which product on Amazon or etrailer would be an exact fit. I'm also not familiar with how these disassemble--hopefully someone here will chime in. (I suspect the "vent" part pops off and the inner part is screwed to the ceiling.)

-Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

TY much Howard. I appreciate the time and effort you spent helping me out. The only difference I see is that mine are a full 6.5 inches measured from the same point to point as your pics. Hopefully that won’t matter as theoretically as long as the ID fits the insert point, it may work just as well. I ordered one from Amazon to test it as they are kind of expensive and I want to make sure it will fit. Additionally, I tried carefully to pry off one of my current ones off with no success so maybe someone knows the proper pry-method that works without leaving any too noticeable marks on the ceiling. Will keep you posted, thanks again.
      Dave and Sue
      2020 GD 2250RK
      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

TY much Howard. I appreciate the time and effort you spent helping me out. The only difference I see is that mine are a full 6.5 inches measured from the same point to point as your pics. Hopefully that won’t matter as theoretically as long as the ID fits the insert point, it may work just as well. I ordered one from Amazon to test it as they are kind of expensive and I want to make sure it will fit. Additionally, I tried carefully to pry off one of my current ones off with no success so maybe someone knows the proper pry-method that works without leaving any too noticeable marks on the ceiling. Will keep you posted, thanks again.
        Schiefswret I would be very interested in what you find out. We just purchased a 2020 Imagine 225RK and are taking delivery this Saturday. It might be a modification I would consider in the spring.
        Dave and Susan
        Imagine 2250RK
        2019 Ford Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by S&D's Immy View Post

Schiefswret I would be very interested in what you find out. We just purchased a 2020 Imagine 225RK and are taking delivery this Saturday. It might be a modification I would consider in the spring.
          Dave / Susan. I purchased a test copy from JR Products, Clarence Center, NY Part nbr ACG150DPW-A. I’m waiting on some additional suggestions from those who have done this as I can’t seem to get the old vent out. Stay tuned. Btw: congrats on your 2250RK, we have discovered that it’s the PERFECT model for our needs. Suggest you get an additional high quality battery and an additional 20# LP tank. The extra cost has proven for us to be WELL worth it. Good luck! Btw, are you towing the 2250rk with the Ranger??
          Last edited by Schiefswret; 02-19-2020, 01:59 PM.
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

GDRV-Megan -- this seems like such a simple question but I can't figure out. (!) How are the air conditioning vents in the ceiling removed? (See post 2 to see a picture of what I'm asking about.)
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              GDRV-Megan -- this seems like such a simple question but I can't figure out. (!) How are the air conditioning vents in the ceiling removed? (See post 2 to see a picture of what I'm asking about.)
              You will have to use a plastic bone or something that won't damage the plastic. It should pop off though.

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

You will have to use a plastic bone or something that won't damage the plastic. It should pop off though.
                So an automotive molding removal tool like shown below? Wedge between the ceiling and register and it will pop off?

I think I'll try and put a joint knife (bottom pic) between the molding tool and the ceiling to make sure I don't make an imprint in the ceiling.

Name:	removal.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	12892

Name:	joint knife.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	12893

Comment

So an automotive molding removal tool like shown below? Wedge between the ceiling and register and it will pop off?

I think I'll try and put a joint knife (bottom pic) between the molding tool and the ceiling to make sure I don't make an imprint in the ceiling.

Name:	removal.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	12892

Name:	joint knife.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	12893
                  Thank you!
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Thank you!
                    I haven't tried this yet--so *please* be careful.

Comment

I haven't tried this yet--so *please* be careful.
                      Ok, will do
                      Dave and Sue
                      2020 GD 2250RK
                      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Schiefswret
                        S&D's Immy

I tried removing the vent as described by GDRV-Megan . Unfortunately the entire vent separated from the ceiling.

What I believe is happening is the screws holding the base have less holding strength than the snap-on vent cover. No matter how careful I was the base still pulled right out of the ceiling.

I don't think it's a big deal, though. I suggest removing the whole assembly and then, when reinstalling the new base, rotating it so the screws bite an unused section of the ceiling. *Should* work. Then snap on the new cover.

If ?? fire back.

Name:	Ceiling Vent Removal.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	12997 ​​​​​​​

Comment

howson Thanks for being the guinea pig . You didn't show it but I assume you were able to separate the screwed in base from the snap-on ring once removed?
                          Last edited by S&D's Immy; 02-22-2020, 02:25 PM.
                          Dave and Susan
                          Imagine 2250RK
                          2019 Ford Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by S&D's Immy View Post
                            howson Thanks dong being the guinea pig . You didn't show it but I assume you were able to separate the screwed in base from the snap-on ring once removed?
                            I'm sure I could have, but I didn't want to actually remove the base completely. Once I realized what was happening I stopped pulling it down.

Comment

Schiefswret
                              S&D's Immy

I tried removing the vent as described by GDRV-Megan . Unfortunately the entire vent separated from the ceiling.

What I believe is happening is the screws holding the base have less holding strength than the snap-on vent cover. No matter how careful I was the base still pulled right out of the ceiling.

I don't think it's a big deal, though. I suggest removing the whole assembly and then, when reinstalling the new base, rotating it so the screws bite an unused section of the ceiling. *Should* work. Then snap on the new cover.

If ?? fire back.

Name:	Ceiling Vent Removal.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	12997
                              ​​​​​​​
                              gotcha, will do, much thanks
                              Dave and Sue
                              2020 GD 2250RK
                              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55