29RS 2nd AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29RS 2nd AC

We just downgraded from a large 38’ fifth wheel to a new 2020 Relection 29RS (29 feet fifth wheel). We are wondering if any users of this model have found a need for the 2nd air conditioner. Our home base is in GA, so do hit warm temperatures but avoid the 100’s. We had 2 before and needed it but this is a much smaller rig so would like some user experiences.

Gadiy
    I see this is your first post . . . welcome to our owners technical forum!

Adding a second AC is a very popular upgrade. The front hatch is already wired for this and ductwork is in place to connect a ducted AC.

Having said the above . . . we have had our similar size Reflection 303RLS for 5 years and get by just fine with the single AC . . . but, we seldom see 90F. (We are in Canada in the summer and Florida in the winter)

A lot has to do with how fast you need the rig to cool down. If you can get the single AC going early in the day, it can keep up.
    If you travel a long hot day and turn the AC on at 5 PM . . . it will struggle to catch up.

Everything considered . . . if we were camping in GA in the summer, we would go for the second AC .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Gadiy View Post
      We just downgraded from a large 38’ fifth wheel to a new 2020 Relection 29RS (29 feet fifth wheel). We are wondering if any users of this model have found a need for the 2nd air conditioner. Our home base is in GA, so do hit warm temperatures but avoid the 100’s. We had 2 before and needed it but this is a much smaller rig so would like some user experiences.
      Campers Inn is the dealer in GA where I bought my 315RLTS. I bet they don't have a single unit on their lot capable of having a second a/c that they don't add it to their spec sheet order from the factory. For the (relatively) small expense and weight, it's a very nice option to have that second a/c when it is broiling outside. Having lived in middle Georgia for a number of years--when you need it you need it!

The other reason the DW and I like the second a/c is we'll run the bedroom unit while sitting in the living area watching TV and vice versa--run the living room unit when sleeping. While the Coleman units we have are quieter than the previous Dometic model, they are still noisy. Having the option to isolate the noise is also a "nice to have".

-Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We have the 2018 model 29RS and really like it. We only have one a/c and have camped in the low 90's and also in high humidity. A second a/c would be nice to run while the living room one is off if spending time in the living room. The single a/c serves us well. When traveling on a hot day or any day that we need the a/c when we stop we have found that turning the a/c on low and open the dump gate and not have the cold air running thru the hot duct work in the ceiling tends to cool the camper faster. Ours does not like to run on high when there is high humidity. The second a/c will add to the overall height as well, might put you close to 13' if that is a concern. By the way unless they have shortened this model the length is closer to 31' , 30'-11" I believe.

Welcome aboard.

Brian

PS- I think I may have just talked myself into getting a second a/c, thanks.
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Everyone above is spot on, I have a 28bh which is a similar size. It came with one and we added the front last spring. I only had one time when mine struggled to keep up, in Nashville for the eclipse, other than that it was okay except for cooling after a long day of driving.

That said it was a pretty easy upgrade. I chose to do it myself so I could choose the unit, Grand Design would have done it at their place but only would have put the Dometic in that I had in the living room. I went with the Coleman with a heat pump for flexibility. The hardest part was getting it up to the roof lol.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

The "noise" factor is definitely something to consider. We have the Atwood AC which pre-dates either Coleman or Dometic and is far quieter than either. (There is a theory that Dometic bought Atwood to put their main competitor out of the AC business ) We can watch TV at a comfortable volume with the Atwood AC running overhead. If I ever have to replace the Atwood AC, I will probably have to get two Dometics, just to handle the front/rear noise, as described earlier.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for all the input. This was exactly the input I needed

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The other reason the DW and I like the second a/c is we'll run the bedroom unit while sitting in the living area watching TV and vice versa--run the living room unit when sleeping. While the Coleman units we have are quieter than the previous Dometic model, they are still noisy. Having the option to isolate the noise is also a "nice to have".

-Howard
                Agree, entirely. That’s the main reason we use the second unit, in our 303. Have only rarely needed to run both at the same time, but it’s nice to be able to run one in the area where you are not. Much quieter that way.
                Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
                Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
                2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
                Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
                Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Gadiy
                  I see this is your first post . . . welcome to our owners technical forum!

Adding a second AC is a very popular upgrade. The front hatch is already wired for this and ductwork is in place to connect a ducted AC.

Having said the above . . . we have had our similar size Reflection 303RLS for 5 years and get by just fine with the single AC . . . but, we seldom see 90F. (We are in Canada in the summer and Florida in the winter)

A lot has to do with how fast you need the rig to cool down. If you can get the single AC going early in the day, it can keep up.
                  If you travel a long hot day and turn the AC on at 5 PM . . . it will struggle to catch up.

Everything considered . . . if we were camping in GA in the summer, we would go for the second AC .

Rob
                  My 303 RLS only has one AC in the main rear living area. Nothing in the bedroom, although the AC is ducted to put air in the bedroom too from the one in the rear.. I am reading it may well be pre-ducted and wired for one in the bedroom. We do camp at time in RV resorts where it can get over 100. The one AC struggles just to keep it liveable in the RV. At least until the sun starts going down.

I can handle installing a second AC, but my concern is current capability with two running. Many of the campgrounds we go to only offer 30 amp service, not the 50 amp my trailer is wired for. I have an adapter to move from 50 amp to 30 amp. But we only have one AC,, and the rest of the electronics are mostly low current (we would not be running the fire place while running the AC). We sporadically use the microwave, which is a high current draw. I wired my fridge onto a switch to force it to stay on propane, so it's current draw is low too (for me, propane keep the fridge cooler than running on AC voltage).

Bottom line is my question:
                  Will 30 amps support 2 AC units at the same time? If not, then i have no reason to do the 2nd AC. My single AC is drawing somewhere near 15 or 16 amps I think. My 2000 watt generator will not run it.

I have to run two 2000 watt generators in parallel to be able to run the AC. I call it dueling generators, as they sync up and run together. I get about 6 - 8 hours of this until they run out of gas. I don't spend any time in the trailer during the day, so I open all the windows and let the wind blow through. In the evening about 5 PM I close the windows, start the generators, and by 10 PM it is cool enough to shut them off and then open the windows. This is in >100 degree days by the lake. Evenings cool down nicely.

Thanks,
                  Tony
                  Tony G
                  2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
                  2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
                  KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post

Will 30 amps support 2 AC units at the same time?
                    Short answer . . . not likely. There are "Easy Start" modification that might get the second AC started after the first one is running https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts but, you would need a very strong 30A shore power feed and this does not exist at many (most?) RV parks particularly when everybody is running their ACs.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Short answer . . . not likely. There are "Easy Start" modification that might get the second AC started after the first one is running https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts but, you would need a very strong 30A shore power feed and this does not exist at many (most?) RV parks particularly when everybody is running their ACs.

Rob
                      Kind of thought that would be the case. The RV park's voltage is dragged down too when everyone is running their AC's, which doesn't help.
                      Thanks,
                      Tony
                      Tony G
                      2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
                      2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
                      KTM 250XC

Comment

Do not want to take away from the OPs question and go to far into the weeds, but there have been reports in the other sandbox and in RV publications about the new generation Mach ACs as I recall, being able to start and run using 30 amp service. If the OP has a Mach AC now as I think some last couple years GDRVs do, to add a second AC may be an option if pre-wired and built to do so. Hopefully others with more knowledge on this will chime in.

Dan
                        Dan & Carol
                        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post

Kind of thought that would be the case. The RV park's voltage is dragged down too when everyone is running their AC's, which doesn't help.
                          Thanks,
                          Tony
                          Tony,
                          Cate&Rob ​has linked to the Easy Starts (ES) I installed in my 315RLTS' Coleman air conditioners. You might consider installing an ES even if you stick to just the one ac unit. You'll be very pleasantly surprised that your generator will probably start and power your unit with no problem. The video below is their official video.

Once you experience how well the Easy Start works, you'll likely be tempted to get the second air conditioner (and put in a second Easy Start on it, too).

Let me emphasize that I have no connection, interest, and certainly don't get any compensation in any way, shape, or form from them--just super satisfied with their product.

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                          X