Basement (water tank temperature) Management Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement (water tank temperature) Management Questions

Hi: we have a new 2020 310GK-R and watching our temperatures during this cold snap. We put a temperature sensor in the basement floor on utility side to monitor the temperatures near the water station. The sensor is on the floor across from the heating duct behind a storage tub (to block direct furnace air on the sensor). We have the tank pad heaters on and the the furnace set to 64degF in the living space, cycling on/off as needed,.

Ambient temperatures last night dropped quickly from about 50 degF at 6PM to 13 degF with 30mph+ north winds. The basement temp dropped overnight from the ambient 50 degf to 34 degF this morning. We expect temperatures in the 20s today and not rising above freezing until late tomorrow. We are "dry" camping with 50amp service only. We have the water line to the fridge off at the water panel and in the fridge, as well as a heat tape on the exposed water line running under the slideout to the fridge. We are parked facing WNW with the strong winds out of the north (so mostly broadside on the door side of the RV.

Questions:
    1: How do we confirm the tank pad heaters are working? (The panel lights or on.)
    2: Where is the suggested spot(s) to monitor holding tank temperatures?
    3: What issues should we watch for to indicate potential freeze up and what issues to avoid?
    4: Any additional actions we can take to minimize risk of damage to pump or equipment?

Note: I have recorded temps at various places around the RV living space this morning - hopefully I can map them out and post for further suggestions.

RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK-R
    TV: 2020 GMC 3500 DRW

Originally posted by swmurray View Post
    Hi: we have a new 2020 310GK-R and watching our temperatures during this cold snap. We put a temperature sensor in the basement floor on utility side to monitor the temperatures near the water station. The sensor is on the floor across from the heating duct behind a storage tub (to block direct furnace air on the sensor). We have the tank pad heaters on and the the furnace set to 64degF in the living space, cycling on/off as needed,.

Ambient temperatures last night dropped quickly from about 50 degF at 6PM to 13 degF with 30mph+ north winds. The basement temp dropped overnight from the ambient 50 degf to 34 degF this morning. We expect temperatures in the 20s today and not rising above freezing until late tomorrow. We are "dry" camping with 50amp service only. We have the water line to the fridge off at the water panel and in the fridge, as well as a heat tape on the exposed water line running under the slideout to the fridge. We are parked facing WNW with the strong winds out of the north (so mostly broadside on the door side of the RV.

Questions:
    1: How do we confirm the tank pad heaters are working? (The panel lights or on.)
    2: Where is the suggested spot(s) to monitor holding tank temperatures?
    3: What issues should we watch for to indicate potential freeze up and what issues to avoid?
    4: Any additional actions we can take to minimize risk of damage to pump or equipment?

Note: I have recorded temps at various places around the RV living space this morning - hopefully I can map them out and post for further suggestions.
    Someone clever (not me!) previously suggested using outdoor faucet covers over the exposed low point drain lines that are under the camper. You probably have two sets of lines (they are blue and red PEX). The faucet sock (second picture) may be the easiest to attach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	14973

Click image for larger version

Name:	Faucet Sock.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	14974
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Tanks freezing are less of a problem than many people think. If your fresh tank has a significant amount of water in it (best to fill it up every day if you can), it has mass. Mass takes time to loose heat. We endured five days of weather similar to what you are describing (except the highs were only in the low 20s, lows of 10 - 11 F, with 35 - 45 MPH winds) in our Reflection which did not have tank heaters... no issues with the tanks. What you DO have to make sure of is to run the main (propane) furnace to make sure that all the critical stuff down under stays thawed. Electric heaters alone won't do it. We went through a 30 lb. propane tank every 1.5 - 2 days during that time. The main concerns are the water pump and the Pex lines to the kitchen island - again, main furnace.

howson , our 2020 310 has the low-point drains inside the service bay where they are heated (the valves) with only pigtails sticking out the bottom - which shouldn't have any water in them with the valves closed. I still carry one of the styrofoam covers you show above, though.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Yes, Not so worried about the tanks when they have fluids, but mostly worried about the pump and PEX lines. For the tanks, hoping we don't have an "ice" chunk when dumping.
        This is our first RV, and I don't have a good feel for where these line are run, how they are protected. The underbelly is completely covered so I cannot "see" in and RV vendors do not provide detail drawings. So trying to learn where to monitor these systems and precautions to take when we experience cold temperatures.
        RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK-R
        TV: 2020 GMC 3500 DRW

Comment

Yes, Not so worried about the tanks when they have fluids, but mostly worried about the pump and PEX lines. For the tanks, hoping we don't have an "ice" chunk when dumping.
          This is our first RV, and I don't have a good feel for where these line are run, how they are protected. The underbelly is completely covered so I cannot "see" in and RV vendors do not provide detail drawings. So trying to learn where to monitor these systems and precautions to take when we experience cold temperatures.
          I know many folks with Solitudes who operate in much colder temperatures than you are experiencing with little to no freeze issues happening. The number one thing you can do to protect your rig in these temperatures is to run the gas furnace. There are outlets in the underbelly and in the basement which will protect your plumbing and pump. If you are still concerned, you could drop the underbelly and access the basement utility area and attach thermometers that could be read remotely to give you the confidence you're okay.

In the mean time, run both your hot and cold water from time to time to make sure they are still flowing. If so, you are in good shape.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

. So trying to learn where to monitor these systems and precautions to take when we experience cold temperatures.
            +1 What Jim said about the furnace.
            It's really tough to actually monitor the tanks and lines, etc. They are all enclosed so you would have to take great steps to get monitors in there next to them, then you would have to go back in when the batteries die. I couldn't justify that amount of work for a maybe. I put a sensor in the front bay and the rear pass through bay, a third outside in the shade so I can monitor outside temps.

The only time I had temps in the bays drop below freezing was when I left a bay door open. Ok, it gets worse, I left the bay door open and took a trip. It was open for two days in teen weather, I froze 1 valve. It thawed out ok without damage, but it made feel foolish.

If you are to do cold a lot think about getting a skirt, makes a big difference.
            I am told the tank heaters have thermostats on them and will turn on when it drops below 40f, you will see a slight drop in your battery V's, same kind of dip when the water pump comes on.
            If you are old like me and have to get up in the middle of the night just turn the kitchen faucet on for a few seconds, if it is starting to freeze the flow will be slightly reduced. Otherwise it's just a surprise. Fill the coffee pot water before you go to bed.

If you are not using a heated water hose completely disconnect the hose. Freezing creeps along.
            Double check your sewer hose for any kinks where water can collect, that can get messy.... In freezing conditions I don't leave any valves open to drain, I let things accumulate and then dump every few days during the warmest part of the day. Then I make sure the sewer hose is completely drained.
            If you have single pane windows you can get some shrink type window insulation stuff from wally world or chain hardware store, others have used bubble wrap, ceramic tinting, etc.
            If you use electric heaters use them for zone heating only, not as a primary heat source.
            Your tire pressure will be really low, but as the tires warm up from use the pressure will come up to normal.
            Watch those steps in the morning, they get real slick if there is a little frost, ice, or snow on them.
            Take time to understand how your propane tank switch valve works and what it looks like. Leaving both tanks open. Getting up in the middle of the night to switch tanks is not fun. Check tanks frequently until you get the rythem down.
            If you are setting up put sacrificial material between you landing gear and the concrete. The plastic pads work well.
            Think fuzzy slippers.

A lot of what you do or don't do depends on how long you are going to be in the cold and how cold is it going to stay.
            2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
            2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
            E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
            Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Working...
            X