Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 2400BH A/C Shutdown Delay?

Hi All.

I'm going to install a Progressive Industries Hardwire EMS in my 2400BH. Before completing the installation I can choose the delay time before the A/C system restarts in case electrical power is lost while the A/C is running. If power returns fairly quickly after being cut off, and the restart delay is set incorrectly while the thermostat is calling for cooling, the A/C compressor can be damaged.

The EMS options are 136 seconds or (the default), 15 seconds. If the A/C has built-in protection I can leave the EMS at it's default setting. However if there is no protection or if it is shorter than 136 seconds then I need to change the default delay setting.

I can't seem to find the restart delay setting in any of the paperwork for the Coleman A/C; can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Bob
    2019 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel
    Husky Centerline WDH

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Hi All.

I'm going to install a Progressive Industries Hardwire EMS in my 2400BH. Before completing the installation I can choose the delay time before the A/C system restarts in case electrical power is lost while the A/C is running. If power returns fairly quickly after being cut off, and the restart delay is set incorrectly while the thermostat is calling for cooling, the A/C compressor can be damaged.

The EMS options are 136 seconds or (the default), 15 seconds. If the A/C has built-in protection I can leave the EMS at it's default setting. However if there is no protection or if it is shorter than 136 seconds then I need to change the default delay setting.

I can't seem to find the restart delay setting in any of the paperwork for the Coleman A/C; can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Bob
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, Bob.

I have the Coleman Mach units on my 315RLTS and installed a Progressive Industries EMS, but I honestly can't remember if I changed the setting or not.

The reference below is from Airxcel's OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS FOR 48000 SERIES ROOF TOP AIR CONDITIONERS AND CEILING PLENUMS available at http://new.icecastlefishhousesmfg.co...ion-Manual.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	Short Cycling.JPG
Views:	749
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	16461

FYI, Airxcel's Document Library is here https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...cument-library but it is not the easiest to navigate!

Couple more references that may help--here's the thread of my install: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...a-2019-315rlts

MicroAir EasyStart installation (this has a built-in delay to protect the air conditioner thus related to your concern/topic):
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts

Good luck with the install!

Howard

P.S. Consider filling out your signature line--you won't have to reference your rig in future posts! https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...-to-your-posts

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, Bob.

I have the Coleman Mach units on my 315RLTS and installed a Progressive Industries EMS, but I honestly can't remember if I changed the setting or not.

The reference below is from Airxcel's OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS FOR 48000 SERIES ROOF TOP AIR CONDITIONERS AND CEILING PLENUMS available at http://new.icecastlefishhousesmfg.co...ion-Manual.pdf

Name:	Short Cycling.JPG
Views:	749
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	16461

FYI, Airxcel's Document Library is here https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...cument-library but it is not the easiest to navigate!

Couple more references that may help--here's the thread of my install: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...a-2019-315rlts

MicroAir EasyStart installation (this has a built-in delay to protect the air conditioner thus related to your concern/topic):
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts

Good luck with the install!

Howard

P.S. Consider filling out your signature line--you won't have to reference your rig in future posts! https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...-to-your-posts

Great info, Howard. You spent a lot of time on that research - Thank you!

I found similar info from Coleman regarding not starting the A/C for a couple of minutes after shutting down - just wasn't sure if the unit has a built-in delay if the power is cut off for whatever reason. I'm thinking I may change the setting in the EMS to 136 seconds just to be safe. Has your EMS ever shutdown due to a voltage drop or overall loss of power while the A/C was running? I'm curious how your system restarted...

Thanks for the tip about the sig line - I'm an active forum user and must have had a brain cramp. Evidently my quarantined brain thought the signature would fill out all by itself... ;-)

Appreciate your help!

Bob
      Husky Centerline WDH

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post

Great info, Howard. You spent a lot of time on that research - Thank you!

I found similar info from Coleman regarding not starting the A/C for a couple of minutes after shutting down - just wasn't sure if the unit has a built-in delay if the power is cut off for whatever reason. I'm thinking I may change the setting in the EMS to 136 seconds just to be safe. Has your EMS ever shutdown due to a voltage drop or overall loss of power while the A/C was running? I'm curious how your system restarted...

Thanks for the tip about the sig line - I'm an active forum user and must have had a brain cramp. Evidently my quarantined brain thought the signature would fill out all by itself... ;-)

Appreciate your help!

Bob
        My pleasure, Bob--that's why this forum is here.

The only time my EMS has kicked in to warn me of a problem was when I incorrectly installed the external power plug onto the camper. I did it twice! I replaced the plug with a Smart Plug so I don't have to worry about it anymore. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-on-a-315rlts

With a MicroAir EasyStart installed the air conditioner will not restart immediately, a nice feature since if I'm away from the camper and power is cycling on and off the EasyStart will protect the unit. The pic below is from the MicroAir manual:

Name:	Easy Start.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	16497

I probably sound like a shill for MicroAir--which I'm not--just very pleased with their product. Super easy to install and works great. There's a YouTube video put out by MicroAir (you'll find it linked off their website) that shows how easy it is to install on our Coleman units.

-Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

My pleasure, Bob--that's why this forum is here.

The only time my EMS has kicked in to warn me of a problem was when I incorrectly installed the external power plug onto the camper. I did it twice! I replaced the plug with a Smart Plug so I don't have to worry about it anymore. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-on-a-315rlts

With a MicroAir EasyStart installed the air conditioner will not restart immediately, a nice feature since if I'm away from the camper and power is cycling on and off the EasyStart will protect the unit. The pic below is from the MicroAir manual:

Name:	Easy Start.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	16497

I probably sound like a shill for MicroAir--which I'm not--just very pleased with their product. Super easy to install and works great. There's a YouTube video put out by MicroAir (you'll find it linked off their website) that shows how easy it is to install on our Coleman units.

-Howard

I've seen several recommendations for the MicroAir - and probably should have purchased it before the EMS even. Though early on I thought it was most appropriate for those who boondock a lot and like to run the A/C off their 12 volt system.

When I get the EMS installed I'll post back in the Electrical section with some pictures and thoughts on how the installation went.

Take care Howard!

Bob
          Husky Centerline WDH

Comment

Anxious to see your pics. I also just bought an Imagine 2400BH and plan on doing the EMS from progressive and the MicroAir right away. Keep us posted.
            2020 Imagine 2400BH
            2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
              Anxious to see your pics. I also just bought an Imagine 2400BH and plan on doing the EMS from progressive and the MicroAir right away. Keep us posted.
              bellis--may I make what I hope is a helpful suggestion? Use "Quote" or the tag function ( a @ followed by the user name, like this: Rover ) when responding to a specific individual. The reason is so the person you're addressing gets notified (like you just did). Rover will get one as a result of this post, so hopefully he'll look up one post and see your comment.

Howard

Comment

howson: Absolutely, will do.

Thanks,
                -Benjamin
                2020 Imagine 2400BH
                2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
                  I installed the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C behind the power distribution unit, and mounted the remote up by the lights and pumps control panel. I ran the remote wire through the panel behind the TV, down to EMS in the area behind the power unit. It works great, and I can see at a glance what my AC consumption is.

I haven't even used my AC yet, other than to check that it actually works. So while the Easy-Start is on my wish list, it's quite low compared to other things.
                  2020 Imagine 2400BH - 340W solar, Victron 100/20 MPPT & BMV-712, 12v/100ah BattleBorn GC2, MORryde CRE3000 & HD shackle w/ wet bolts.
                  2017 F150 Lariat, 3.5EB - Andersen WDH, & SumoSprings

formerly: 2016 Starcraft Launch 19BHS, 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Comment

Working...
                  X