Cleaning Coleman AC Condensor Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Coleman AC Condensor Coils

Caveat: This requires getting on the roof--an iffy proposition if you have any fear of heights or health issues. If in doubt, consult your RV dealer or independent repairman for this maintenance.

While doing other maintenance on my roof I spotted clogged condensor coils on the 15K Coleman air conditioner on my year old 2019 315RLTS:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5469 (Large).JPG Views:	603 Size:	82.5 KB ID:	1923

I popped off the rear section of the cover and cleaned it with a brush specifically designed for the task. I did not use any of the sprays available to clean coils as I was unsure of what (if any) damage they might do to the roof or sidewalls as the fluid drained away.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5470 (Large).JPG Views:	397 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	1924

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5471 (Large).JPG Views:	418 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	1925
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5472 (Large).JPG Views:	406 Size:	84.6 KB ID:	1926
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5475 (Large).JPG Views:	394 Size:	80.5 KB ID:	1927
    https://www.amazon.com/Schaefer-Brush-2026-Condenser-Whisk/dp/B01FENUGWY

Last edited by howson; 04-01-2022, 01:36 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Thanks Howard, I just ordered a brush so I can get this done on my units before we leave for our extended journey in a couple weeks.
    Paul and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Thanks Howard, after three years mine must be a mess.

Comment

Okay, so I ordered the brush and it came yesterday so I climbed up and ready to get to work and the first thing I said to myself is "where the hell does Howard go with his 2019 to get that dirty because the fins on my 2015 are pristine!" Heck, we have been all around the country 3 times and over 40,000 total miles now and they look like the day I bought it. Oh well, I'll carry the new brush in my tool box in case someone needs to clean there fins
        Paul and Deb Cervone
        2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
        2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Thanks Howard,
          I'm pretty attentive to the preventative maintenance on our 303. I have cleaned out one bird nest in the front AC but will pay closer attention to the fins/coils
          2011 F-250 CC 6.7, Pull Rite Super Glide
          2018 Grand Design 303 RLS
          Retired USMC 1982 - 2002
          Serving the blue line since

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            I popped off the rear section of the cover and cleaned it with a brush specifically designed for the task. I did not use any of the sprays available to clean coils as I was unsure of what (if any) damage they might do to the roof or sidewalls as the fluid drained away.
            FWIW: Wow, on my rig, the coils I see in your video are super clean. It’s the coils on the opposite side of the ac that need cleaning so I got a can of Nu-Calgon Evap Foam No Rinse.
            We shall see how that works. Tks fellas.
            Last edited by howson; 04-01-2022, 01:38 PM. Reason: Trimmed quote
            Dave and Sue
            2020 GD 2250RK
            2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
            GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
            SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

I have a little experience in this area,35 yrs masters in mechanical (HVAC) PIPE FITTER (GAS).CONDENSER coils should be cleaned with coil cleaner.What we hvac guys get is a very strong cleaner in which the #1 issue I hvave reservation is the roof.So I recommend using something like awesome from Dollar tree, mean green, a multipurpose cleaner spray on the dirty side of the coil, then take a garden hose and blast from the inside out not from the dirty side and all you will do is push more dirt into the coil. Of course make sure your system is powered down.We use a very strong chemical that reacts with the aluminum fins that’s causing it to boil which will remove dirt like you’ve never seen. But by simply using what I have mentioned above is perfectly fine do not use the pressure washer under any circumstances I hope this helps

2020 Momentum 25G
              2017 F250 gasser
              Jimmy Virginia Beach ,Va.

Comment

I noticed the post stating they have used the nu calgon No rents evaporator cleaner, that’s fine you do not have to buy that that is for evaporators mostly because we can’t get garden hoses up in peoples attics, and it is not as strong as the condenser coil cleaners just used in a garden hose is more than adequate always rinse the product off even though it says no rinse.
                2020 Momentum 25G
                2017 F250 gasser
                Jimmy Virginia Beach ,Va.

Comment

Follow up. I let the foam stay on for about 3 hours. Put covers back on and turned AC on. It’s acting like the compressor is not cycling.
                  Checked breakers and fuses, all well. Any and all suggestions welcomed!
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Schiefswret -- when I've messed with something and then find it doesn't work, a methodical inspection of what was disturbed will typically reveal the problem.

But let me ask a really basic question (not because I've done this <clears throat> it's just, you know, informed speculation): is the temperature on the thermostat low enough to force the A/C compressor to kick on?
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                      Schiefswret -- when I've messed with something and then find it doesn't work, a methodical inspection of what was disturbed will typically reveal the problem.

But let me ask a really basic question (not because I've done this <clears throat> it's just, you know, informed speculation): is the temperature on the thermostat low enough to force the A/C compressor to kick on?
                      GM Howard, yesterday it was a little cool, as we call it in the Tampa Bay Area and for that reason I cranked it down to 60 and didn’t feel any difference in air temp from the previous setting of 76.
                      It’s predicted to not go past 73 today so after it gets to that range outside I’ll try again by setting on 60 and see what happens. All further suggestions welcomed. Off to the indoor range to blast some paper enemies. Be back in a few hours.
                      Dave and Sue
                      2020 GD 2250RK
                      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
                        Follow up. I let the foam stay on for about 3 hours. Put covers back on and turned AC on. It’s acting like the compressor is not cycling.
                        Checked breakers and fuses, all well. Any and all suggestions welcomed!
                        UPDATE: I read up/investigated some posts about the Thermistor Probe. It occurred to me that when installing the Soft Start last week, maybe I unknowingly disturbed this probe because the behavior I was experiencing was that the compressor was not cycling but everything else seemed to check out. So I checked it out and thought that it couldn’t hurt anything (the spot it was in made an opening in the fins that looked bigger than it should have been) to move it over and down about an inch where it would make a more solid contact. Bingo, I can now hang meat from the ceiling 😊. Thanks to all who contributed to my dilemma.
                        Dave and Sue
                        2020 GD 2250RK
                        Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Out of curiosity, anyone use this product and did you use it on the evap coils also? Smell ok? Picked up a can at a campers Inn when I picked up my new slide switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2022-03-26-12-20-00.png
Views:	451
Size:	517.6 KB
ID:	80291
                          Attached Files
                          2018 337RLS
                          720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
                          disc brakes, ems

Comment

Originally posted by Jims94vmx View Post
                            Out of curiosity, anyone use this product and did you use it on the evap coils also? Smell ok? Picked up a can at a campers Inn when I picked up my new slide switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2022-03-26-12-20-00.png
Views:	451
Size:	517.6 KB
ID:	80291
                            I used a similar brand that is rinse free just spray on and leave for a few hours. Worked fine. Never tried the one you are asking about. Good luck.
                            Dave and Sue
                            2020 GD 2250RK
                            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

howson Howard, I noticed that you only removed one side of the shroud. I had watched a video about cleaning these and they showed both ends, however, when I opened mine last year it appears that one end is sealed as yours appears to be. I did nothing to it. Can you comment?
                              Bill & Cindy
                              2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                              SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X