Cleaning Coleman AC Condensor Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
    howson Howard, I noticed that you only removed one side of the shroud. I had watched a video about cleaning these and they showed both ends, however, when I opened mine last year it appears that one end is sealed as yours appears to be. I did nothing to it. Can you comment?
    The other component at the front is, of course, the evaporator coil (#5 in pic below which is from my school documents). It, too, must be maintained.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CLEAN AC #1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.9 KB ID:	80455

Chad from Changing Lanes has an excellent video on the topic of a/c maintenance.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Chad from Changing Lanes has an excellent video on the topic of a/c maintenance.
      That is the video I watched before checking/cleaning mine last year. So you do take the other half of the cowling off and the cover over the evaporator coil?
      Last edited by howson; 03-28-2022, 06:53 AM. Reason: Trimmed quote...
      Bill & Cindy
      2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
      SE Texas

Comment

BillinTexas

If you're asking should both the condenser and evaporator coils be checked/cleaned the answer is yes. If you're asking if I've checked/cleaned the evaporator on my a/c units (as of this moment) the answer is no.

Have I added it to my To Do list? Why yes I have. Thanks?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

That is the video I watched before checking/cleaning mine last year. So you do take the other half of the cowling off and the cover over the evaporator coil?
          BIll: FWIW, the only coil I’ve ever cleaned is the Evap coil since the condenser coil, for whatever reason, stays very clean so I just keep an eye on it. Good luck.
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
          GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
          SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

howson Howard, you need to invest in some fiberglass window screen. When it's time to clean the "drier lint" looking stuff off, pull and replace the screen or pull and clean it. I suggest just rolling it up and throwing it in the trash so it does not end up in the grill of the truck (yes Murphy has my number memorized and on speed dial).
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

BillinTexas -- the evaporator coils on the living room a/c were indeed a little dirty. Not terrible, but worth cleaning. Close up shot below hopefully conveys what I found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	evaporator.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	362.7 KB
ID:	80958

Watched Chad's video (again) before starting and the cleaning was easy. Used a hose to clean the condenser coils (after using the Frost King product) and then use a spray bottle of water to clean the evaporator coils (after using the evaporator-safe stuff mentioned in the video which I had on hand).

Added inspection / cleaning of the both units to my bi-yearly mx schedule.

Howard

Comment

Thanks for the additional comments. The cover over the evaporator on mine didn't appear to be easily removed is the reason I wondered. I cleaned the other last year and have both products to use.

howson , no water in the cabin?
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

Thanks for the additional comments. The cover over the evaporator on mine didn't appear to be easily removed is the reason I wondered. I cleaned the other last year and have both products to use.

howson , no water in the cabin?
                  Hosed off the condensor coil (cover was still over the evaporator). I used a spray bottle (like Chad did) on the evaporator coils. As long as the drain tray is clear of debris (also a good thing to check) and being just a little conservative there's no issue. I ran the fans on both a/c units for a couple of hours afterwards (with windows open and vents exhausting) to clear out any residual smell from the chemicals. (The chemical smell, while stated on the can that it's safe, is not something the DW would like in the camper.)

Removing the cover over the evaporator wasn't hard--just don't try and torque down the screws (as usual on these campers) too much. Again, Chad does a good job of showing this process (if you have a Coleman).

Comment

Thank you. I do have the Coleman and in my rig, only one. I'll watch the video again before doing it this year.
                    Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

This video is a shorter version much easier to get through and understand. Did the cleaning yesterday to both AC units with the living room one the dirtiest. The video recommends a spray bottle to rinse the condenser coils after applying the cleaner. He does not recommend any water if using the no rinse product on the evaporator. The fan which looks like a hamster wheel has a ton of dirt and I was able to vacuum it out and of course vacuum and remove all debris from the side that one can access from the interior.

I also have the blue brush Howard uses and that is handy to get the first layer of dirt off before using the top of the condenser cleaning can.

https://youtu.be/_EMVxoq-_9E

Last edited by howson; 04-22-2022, 02:09 PM. Reason: Embedded video in Vivian's post in addition to the link she provided. The guy in the video is the one Chad from Changing Lanes consults on a regular basis. -Howard
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                      Demco Recon

Comment

I just finished mine for the bedroom last night about 11. It was raining in the bedroom where the drain holes had clogged and condensation was dripping. I taped the seams much more than as it came from the factory.
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

We won't discuss the 1/4 sheet of foam board and 1/2 roll of Aluminum tape that got added to mine. There are so many potential internal leak points that can lead to poor cooling (not all GD's fault) that should be addressed.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                          X