Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MicroAir EasyStart Installation in Coleman Air Conditioners (2019 315RLTS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post

When I first put the EZ Start on, I did the multiple "learn" cycles while plugged in to shore power. I did not detect a gradual compressor power up, I could just hear it come on a few minutes after the fan, as it should. My compressor is pretty quiet though on my Dometic, so I am not sure I could detect a subtle change in power to the compressor. I was on the roof when the compressor began to turn on so I could listen to it. A lot of climbing up and down during the learn cycle.

So, what I may do is create a cheater cord that will go between the plug and the outlet of the trailer and allow me to monitor the current in each wire as the AC kicks on. I have a clamp meter, but that does not work on an entire cord, it will do one conductor at a time; hence the need for the cheater cord with the exposed wires separate. Would not recommend anybody not electrically inclined to do this. I do not have the setup Howard has to monitor my power. When the compressor kicked on under one generator power, that surge is what overloaded the generator. My EZ start may not be properly ramping up the compressor as it should. Perhaps I need to re-do the learn mode. Will have to investigate this. I do have the ECO mode and keep that shut off when running the AC, even with 2 generators. In ECO mode, it will not kick off quick enough to deal with the AC surges. These are Yamaha 2000 watt generators comparable to Honda specs but a tad quieter. Costco used to sell them. The gas tank is a bit larger too.

BTW, for your "so what" files... Power (P) is measured in watts and is a function of voltage (E) multiplied by current (I) (P = IE). There is also a resistance factor (R) but that generally does not factor in unless you have under gauge conductors or very long power cords, or both. They are all interrelated.

As a side note, I looked at the thermostat and it was indeed set to high fan instead of Auto, so that explains why the fan never shut off when the AC reached its set temperature. Not sure how that got changed since I had it set on Auto. Maybe one of the kids was messing with it. I do not know if that would cause my generator issue.

Anyway, I will be pulling out a generator this weekend and trying it some more. If I cannot get one generator to run the AC, it defeats the purpose of my EZ start purchase.
    I could be wrong, but I think you want to do the learn process on the generator, so it can see the sag when the compressor kicks on. I would defer to howson on that though.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I could be wrong, but I think you want to do the learn process on the generator, so it can see the sag when the compressor kicks on. I would defer to howson on that though.
      From what I read in Microair's instructions, the learn process is done on shore power. Once completed the instructions say a generator or shore power can be used to run the a/c.

There are very specific instructions to the "re-learn" process. Lots of info on their website (as I'm sure tgodrich (Tony) has seen: http://www.micro-air.com/knowledgebank

Attachment is the instructions that came with my unit. They may be old...posted just for reference.
      Attached Files
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

From what I read in Microair's instructions, the learn process is done on shore power. Once completed the instructions say a generator or shore power can be used to run the a/c.

There are very specific instructions to the "re-learn" process. Lots of info on their website (as I'm sure tgodrich (Tony) has seen: http://www.micro-air.com/knowledgebank

Attachment is the instructions that came with my unit. They may be old...posted just for reference.
        I stand corrected, I was hoping that may have been the issue.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          Since I run propane, the numbers are even lower: 1800 "Starting" and 1440 "Running".

Out of curiosity--did you install the EZStart in the 13.5K or 15K air conditioner?

Any problems running the "learning" sequence when you installed the EZStart?
          Is that true of all generators running on propane? What generator are you running? (I have the Honda EU2200i).
          2020 Imagine 2400BH
          2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post

Is that true of all generators running on propane? What generator are you running? (I have the Honda EU2200i).
            Yes, propane contains less energy than gasoline. I run the champion on propane and it’s derated when on propane, but still runs either of my 15k AC units fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	25498

Attached Files

Neil Citro

Comment

Just watched an older video Traveling Robert did on his micro air install. If you put in MYRV code at checkout can get $25 off of order.

Click image for larger version

Name:	76AF846A-2946-4877-9121-8005EAE2F0EB.png
Views:	550
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	43414
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
              Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post

Gasoline has an energy content of 116,090 Btu per gallon, while propane has an energy content of 84,250 Btu per gallon. Similar scenario with E85 versus gasoline with E85 having lower energy content, Except once the E85 air/fuel ratio is corrected (roughly at 7:1) and with proper spark calibrated in, E85 will make more Torque than gasoline on the same Engine that is made to handle E85.

Diesel fuel exhibits higher energy content than gasoline and is why they make massive torque.

For those that's interested.

Jim

Comment

I was curious about this as well since also looking to pick up a generator to run a/c (planning to add the MicroAir). Wanted to find out running watts for the 15K a/c on our unit. Went to the AirExcel website to find the data sheet for the Coleman(48000 series). According the data sheet:

Running watts - standard conditions - 1611 watts
                  Running watts - desert conditions - 1991 watts

This is for my model - others may be different depending on year, etc - but for me - a generator with 1600 running watts doesn't sound like enough (for our setup). I am now looking for at least 1800 running watts.

The link to the their website tech documents section and the data sheet for my model is attached (hopefully).

482x4c8xx_he_data_sheet.pdf

View our entire selection of documentation on our ACs, heat pumps, and accessories.
                  Ken & Sandra
                  2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

KSC_Travels -- if running the air conditioner was the primary purpose for the generator there's two options (for me).

1) Two of the small Champion dual-fuel generators with the parallel kit.
                    2) One of the 3400W Champion dual-fuel generators.

Note I wouldn't count on the solar I have (need a/c at night, right?).

Nothing wrong with the Yamaha, Honda, or even the Predator generators from what I've read. I prefer not having to mess with gasoline so like the OEM propane option. YMMV

One more thought: the larger one may have the option of an electric start. That would be a nice option if the generator was frequently used, or could be a negative if the owner always had to worry about keeping the battery charged.

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

KSC_Travels I can run either (not both) of my air conditioners off my 3400 watt champion running on propane (less wattage available) with no micro start. Obviously I have to watch my other loads. The power assist on my inverter is a huge help here since it’s the inrush that’ll make it break you. What I used to do before the inverter was run it on low cool so the fan would not start and stop and would use less power than on high. Also if it was really close I’d drop the thermostat way down so the compressor would not cycle.

Howard is right, the electric start is nice. The generator charges its own starting battery, and it’s still got a conventional pull starter as well. The thing is a bit heavy though. I can lift it myself but I’d probably hurt my back. I always get my wife to help. Easy for two of us.

Neil Citro

Comment

howson

Copy that Howard and thanks. Definitely looking through all the options... looks like a couple of the newer 2500 watt (starting) models have 1800-2000 running watts. Should be sufficient for our needs (when combined with the MicroAir). Like everyone else I imagine, trying to balance size & weight/portability vs. noise vs. cost!
                        Ken & Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by KSC_Travels View Post
                          howson

Copy that Howard and thanks. Definitely looking through all the options... looks like a couple of the newer 2500 watt (starting) models have 1800-2000 running watts. Should be sufficient for our needs (when combined with the MicroAir). Like everyone else I imagine, trying to balance size & weight/portability vs. noise vs. cost!
                          howson and I did some pretty significant research over in this thread:
                          https://gdrvowners.com/forum/propane...ropane-adapter

I'm getting ready to buy the 2500 champion model, which is 1665 watts on propane, 1850 on gas.

we also list all the parts to convert it to connect to the QC port on the camper so you can run it off the propane tanks on the front of the camper.
                          Mike
                          2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Just an FYI-

Hutch Mountain (exclusively) sells a Bluetooth version of the MicroAir Easy Start 364. I ordered one today. I think install is the same but you configure and monitor it with an app on your phone.
                            https://www.hutchmountain.com/collections/air-conditioner-soft-start/products/micro-air-bluetooth-easystart™-364-soft-starter
                            Brian & Kellie
                            2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                            2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                            2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

howson and I did some pretty significant research over in this thread:
                              https://gdrvowners.com/forum/propane...ropane-adapter

I'm getting ready to buy the 2500 champion model, which is 1665 watts on propane, 1850 on gas.

we also list all the parts to convert it to connect to the QC port on the camper so you can run it off the propane tanks on the front of the camper.
                              mpking

Mike - Thanks for the thread link - I hadn't seen that one. I have not come across that Champion model up in the North (not on Amazon Canada and Champion seems to designate as a US model). Ugh. Too bad... specs look right on.
                              Ken & Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
                                Just an FYI-

Hutch Mountain (exclusively) sells a Bluetooth version of the MicroAir Easy Start 364. I ordered one today. I think install is the same but you configure and monitor it with an app on your phone.
                                https://www.hutchmountain.com/collections/air-conditioner-soft-start/products/micro-air-bluetooth-easystart™-364-soft-starter

I wonder if you can manage the firmware somehow. I know howson had an issue with his and he had to send it back for a firmware update. Would be nice to be able to manage that from an app.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                                X