Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MicroAir EasyStart Installation in Coleman Air Conditioners (2019 315RLTS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
    I wonder if you can manage the firmware somehow. I know howson had an issue with his and he had to send it back for a firmware update. Would be nice to be able to manage that from an app.
    According to MicroAir, you can indeed update firmware via Bluetooth. This is the response I got from them when asking about the Bluetooth version of the EasyStart 364:

EasyStart RV Soft Starter Bluetooth Features:
    • All available through our free phone application (iPhone and Android)
    • Real-time diagnostics for advanced optimization tuning.
    • Real-time visual monitoring.
    • Convenient on-Demand firmware updates when available.
    • Built-In Technical Support Submission features.
    • Need to move EasyStart to new air conditioner or RV? A simple remote one touch process is all it takes to allow our soft starter to “learn” the new unit without taking anything apart!
    • Troubleshoot issues remotely and safely without having to climb up onto your RV rooftop!

Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

According to MicroAir, you can indeed update firmware via Bluetooth. This is the response I got from them when asking about the Bluetooth version of the EasyStart 364:

• Need to move EasyStart to new air conditioner or RV? A simple remote one touch process is all it takes to allow our soft starter to “learn” the new unit without taking anything apart!
      • Troubleshoot issues remotely and safely without having to climb up onto your RV rooftop!

Sounds like a big improvement for sure.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
        Sounds like a big improvement for sure.
        It does sound like a nice improvement but I find it odd that only Hutch Mountain sells it.
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

From what I read in Microair's instructions, the learn process is done on shore power. Once completed the instructions say a generator or shore power can be used to run the a/c.

There are very specific instructions to the "re-learn" process. Lots of info on their website (as I'm sure tgodrich (Tony) has seen: http://www.micro-air.com/knowledgebank

Attachment is the instructions that came with my unit. They may be old...posted just for reference.
          Since we were talking bluetooth, I went back to Microair's site. No mention of the bluetooth at all.

BUT....
          I found this:

http://www.micro-air.com/kb-easystar...ng_Process.cfm

We prefer the stability and reliability of AC mains power during the first five compressor starts. If that is not available then a generator can be used. We recommend one that would normally start the compressor without EasyStart but a smaller one can be used. If the generator has an economy mode, turn it off during the learning process.
          Mike
          2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
            Since we were talking bluetooth, I went back to Microair's site. No mention of the bluetooth at all.
            Correct. Only Hutch Mountains sells the Bluetooth version. Here is the full email reply from MicroAir when I asked who made the Bluetooth version and if they sold it.

Message/Question:
            In searching for a Micro-Air Easy Start, I ran across a company called Hutch Mountain that sells a Micro-Air Easy Start 364 Bluetooth version. I don't see this Bluetooth version on your website. Is it something you produce and sell?

Good morning Brian,

You are correct on the new EasyStart model, that model is exclusively sold through one of our partners Hutch Mountain (www.hutchmountain.com) at this time.

Hutch Mountain Product Page
            https://www.hutchmountain.com/collec...ner-soft-start

Thanks!
            Sales Administration

Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Huh. Hutch mountain rings a bell. When I was debating generator’s I think they offered a Honda 2200 modified to run on propane. Seemed like a decent company.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

howson Hello everyone, We have just signed the papers for our new Imagine 2670MK which has two HVAC units (15000 and 13,500 BTU). Because they are new will they include soft-starts or easy start technology? Since the unit is prepped for solar, I would think that these two types of starts would be complimentary. Does a soft start reduce the full load current as effectively as easy start? If they are not on the HVAC units why wouldn’t the manufactures include them? Is having both types of starts redundant or beneficial? Thank you for considering these questions.
                Al & Ann
                F150 with Max Tow Pkg.
                Imagine 2670MK (2021)

Comment

humunuku

I am not aware of any RV a/c manufacture that has the "soft starts" factory installed. Also I do not believe that any RV manufactures install these on the assembly line.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

FYI-

I installed the new Bluetooth version of the MicroAir Easy Start yesterday. I ordered the Hutch Mountain install kit which is different than the install kit from MicroAir. It includes higher quality adhesive strips and Wago wire connectors (rather than crimps). Two of the wires from the EasyStart have terminals on them already. Very impressed with the install kit and the Bluetooth functionality is pretty cool. It shows the highest amperage draw at startup plus the draw while running. The Bluetooth code is on a sticker on the EasyStart so make a note of that prior to installing it. Kind of hard to see after it's installed (yes, I found out the hard way).
                    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Apologize for the tardy reply.

Originally posted by humunuku View Post
                      Because they are new will they include soft-starts or easy start technology?
                      Brian, Country Campers , covered this one--to the best of my knowledge neither Dometic, Airxcel ("Coleman") or Furrion provide an Easy Start in their units.

If they are not on the HVAC units why wouldn’t the manufactures include them?
                      In my opinion, cost. Is anything in our units top-of-the-line? (Not a slam on GD!, just the fact of the RV business. Consumers are very price conscious and won't understand the value of an EasyStart.)

Does a soft start reduce the full load current as effectively as easy start?
                      No. See the EasyStart video (linked in post #1) where the two types are compared on an actual air conditioner.

Is having both types of starts redundant or beneficial?
                      Redundant--definitely do not want to do both.

Bottom line: excellent product well worth the $$ so the air conditioner will work with limited power (plugged in to a 15A circuit in someone's driveway, etc). bertschb

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Hello everyone, We have just signed the papers for our new Imagine 2670MK which has two HVAC units (15000 and 13,500 BTU). Because they are new will they include soft-starts or easy start technology? Since the unit is prepped for solar, I would think that these two types of starts would be complimentary. Does a soft start reduce the full load current as effectively as easy start? If they are not on the HVAC units why wouldn’t the manufactures include them? Is having both types of starts redundant or beneficial? Thank you for considering these questions.
                        I'm going to contradict Brian, and I believe the Colemans in the past have had Soft Start Capacitors in them. The Easy Start directions indicate you should remove them. (They are not complementary, but competing technologies) (Found a link: https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...ftstart-series)

As for your other questions, yes, a soft start will reduce the full load current , but not as effectively as the Easy Start.

As for your last question, why wouldn't manufacturers include them? It's an additional cost, that the consumers ( the RV manufacturers) do not ask for, and may not be willing to bear.
                        Last edited by mpking; 03-15-2021, 07:41 PM.
                        Mike
                        2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Working...
                        X