Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MicroAir EasyStart Installation in Coleman Air Conditioners (2019 315RLTS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MicroAir EasyStart Installation in Coleman Air Conditioners (2019 315RLTS)

Standard Disclaimer: I have no financial or other interest whatsoever with the product mentioned in this post. I am also not a professional RV technician or professional electrician. If you have any doubts on your ability please consult your RV dealer or independent repair shop—they’ll be able to install this for you very easily.

I installed MicroAir Easy Starts in both the 13.5K bedroom air conditioner (a/c) and 15K living room a/c today. Very easy installation. There are multiple excellent videos and documents online, so I will not go into a blow-by-blow. MicroAir’s video also does a great job showing the benefit of installing the EasyStart and there are multiple others that have documented their improvement, so I didn’t bother trying to capture any data. What this post will do is highlight a few items to help anyone else with a similar setup to mine.

MicroAir’s EasyStart 364 Installation Instructions for the Coleman (what I used and also what I’ll be referencing in this post):
    http://www.micro-air.com/support-doc...stallation.pdf

On page 5 of the installation document it shows five potential locations for the MicroAir. I only found one location where it will fit. MicroAir’s box is too large to fit anywhere else.

Won't Fit Here!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5478 (Medium).JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	1932

Here's where I put the Easy Start (true for both a/c units):
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5486 (Medium).JPG Views:	0 Size:	119.6 KB ID:	1933

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5485 (Medium).JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.1 KB ID:	1934

Note 2: I wasn’t thrilled with the double-stick tape provided in the optional installation kit (KIT-364-RT2). I used Scotch (3M) Dual Lock instead. (I always have a roll on hand.) https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotc...6740/205520112

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5477 (Medium).JPG Views:	0 Size:	111.2 KB ID:	1930

If you purchase MicroAir's optional installation kit, on page 7 of the directions it says to use a blue female quick-disconnect terminal with the orange wire. The blue terminal in the kits I received were too small for the wire, so I used another yellow female that was in the kit. (Thankfully there were two—one for the EasyStart’s white wire and one for the orange wire.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5482 (Medium).JPG Views:	0 Size:	69.6 KB ID:	1931

On page 24 is the Learn Process (a process you accomplish immediately after installing the EasyStart.) Step 6 says the Easy Start will restart the a/c in 5 minutes. I timed it and every single time the EasyStart fired up the a/c at ~2:47. Probably not a big deal, just an FYI. (I put the Coleman on COOL HIGH AUTO and then varied the temperature setting per the LEARN PROCESS directions.)

Finally, if you order from MicroAir use the AIRSTREAM discount code to save $25 per unit ordered. (So I saved $50 since I ordered two.) Note that me posting this code is not original--I got it from another internet source.

MicroAir’s Installation Video
    Last edited by howson; 11-28-2020, 11:51 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Mine is still working fine after two years. It was expensive but worth it if you want to run off of a 20A extension cord in your yard or a generator
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer

2016 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

2017 F150
    2020 F350 6.7 PSD

Comment

Howard or Donald ,

Is there a noticeable difference in the start up of the a/c unit? I have heard it creates a "soft start" for the a/c units.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        Howard or Donald ,

Is there a noticeable difference in the start up of the a/c unit? I have heard it creates a "soft start" for the a/c units.

Brian
        Noticeable? I'd have a difficult time id'ing if a unit had an easy start by ear. My inverter knows the difference! I can run both(!) now ( for a short time until I run out of battery).
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Howard or Donald ,

Brian
          It does ramp the power up slowly for the A/C so the large initial power surge is small. This is why you can use a smaller genset (or a 20A extension cord).

2017 F150
          2020 F350 6.7 PSD

Comment

I thought the Coleman-Mach came with soft starts after 2018

Comment

A soft start is not the thing as the micro air easy start. a soft start kit is just a capacitor which I assume the Coleman has

2017 F150
              2020 F350 6.7 PSD

Comment

Originally posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
                A soft start is not the thing as the micro air easy start. a soft start kit is just a capacitor which I assume the Coleman has
                Question for anyone out there... Will installing an Easy Start void my warranty?
                Tony G
                2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
                2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
                KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post

Question for anyone out there... Will installing an Easy Start void my warranty?
                  GD shies away from stating <insert issue here> will automatically "void the warranty". What they will say is that anything done by the owner that subsequently damages the trailer won't be covered under warranty. That's only common sense. Example: If someone attached double-sided tape to an interior wall and when attempting to remove it pealed off the wallpaper, that's not a warranty issue.

My .02 (and probably worth as much): if the Easy Start is installed correctly it is very unlikely that it will cause an issue with the air conditioner. The Easy Start could potentially extend the life of the air conditioner.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

GD shies away from stating <insert issue here> will automatically "void the warranty". What they will say is that anything done by the owner that subsequently damages the trailer won't be covered under warranty. That's only common sense. Example: If someone attached double-sided tape to an interior wall and when attempting to remove it pealed off the wallpaper, that's not a warranty issue.

My .02 (and probably worth as much): if the Easy Start is installed correctly it is very unlikely that it will cause an issue with the air conditioner. The Easy Start could potentially extend the life of the air conditioner.
                    Thanks for the feedback. I only have 1 more year on my trailer warranty anyway, so I am going to order one of these and install it. I currently run two 2000 watt generators to be able to use my AC. I am hopeful this will allow me to use only one.
                    Tony G
                    KTM 250XC

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I only have 1 more year on my trailer warranty anyway, so I am going to order one of these and install it. I currently run two 2000 watt generators to be able to use my AC. I am hopeful this will allow me to use only one.
                      OK, so I installed the EZ start in my Dometic AC unit. Went dry camping and tried it out with one generator (2000W). I started the generator and let run a few minutes, then connected the trailer and turned on the AC. The fan started just fine, but when the compressor started to ramp on, it killed the generator (put it into overload - generator kept running, but no output).

So I went back to running the two 2000W generators in parallel and the AC worked just fine.

One evening, one of the generators ran out of gas before the other. The second generator kept running and was powering the AC just fine.

So I am thinking perhaps I need to warm up the generator longer? Any thoughts?

As a second comment, we were at an RV park this past weekend, plugged in to power. The AC worked fine, but when the temperature in the trailer got to the setting on the thermostat, the fan would never shut off. Is this perhaps a feature of the EZ Start? I cannot remember if the fan shut off when the desired temperature was reached before the EZ start was installed.

Thanks,
                      Tony
                      Tony G
                      KTM 250XC

Comment

OK, so I installed the EZ start in my Dometic AC unit. Went dry camping and tried it out with one generator (2000W). I started the generator and let run a few minutes, then connected the trailer and turned on the AC. The fan started just fine, but when the compressor started to ramp on, it killed the generator (put it into overload - generator kept running, but no output).

So I went back to running the two 2000W generators in parallel and the AC worked just fine.

One evening, one of the generators ran out of gas before the other. The second generator kept running and was powering the AC just fine.

As a second comment, we were at an RV park this past weekend, plugged in to power. The AC worked fine, but when the temperature in the trailer got to the setting on the thermostat, the fan would never shut off. Is this perhaps a feature of the EZ Start? I cannot remember if the fan shut off when the desired temperature was reached before the EZ start was installed.

Thanks,
                        Tony
                        My guess on the generator would be that once it was running you were through the inrush current from the compressor start and one generator could keep up. Warm up should not really be an issue.

I do not have an EZ start, but from what I heard of them that does not sound normal. All it should do is slow the compressor startup so the current draw does not go so high. If the fan is running all the time, double check your thermostat that when on Fan only its not set to high or low instead of auto. If on one of those, and then switched to AC, the fan will run all the time rather than cycle with the AC.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

My Champion 100402's manual states, "Connecting Electrical Loads: Let the engine stabilize and warm up for a few minutes after starting." Will that make a difference to what you're experiencing? I don't know. (Doubt it, actually.)

Does your generator have an "ECO" mode? If it was in that mode the generator might not be capable of responding fast enough.

From my Champion's manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eco Mode.JPG
Views:	1342
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	24369

Does your manual state the maximum current the generator will sustain and for how long? (Should be in the manual.) My "2000W" generator has a "starting" value of 2000W and 1600W "running". (Not sure what that means, honestly.)

Since I run propane, the numbers are even lower: 1800 "Starting" and 1440 "Running".

Out of curiosity--did you install the EZStart in the 13.5K or 15K air conditioner?

Any problems running the "learning" sequence when you installed the EZStart?

Comment

Thanks,
                            Tony
                            I had to go out and do some experiments. Note that I have Coleman units, so what I measured may be different since you have a Dometic.

What you're looking at in this first picture is the Victron Color Control in my trailer with the air conditioner off.

There is 32W coming in from the Shore Power connection (50A circuit), 5 W being consumed by AC loads in the trailer, and 32W consumed by misc DC Power (12vDC items) in the trailer. That's a total of 69W being consumed. (The batteries show they are contributing 16W of power to the trailer. In a perfect world the Shore + Battery wattage would equal the AC Loads and DC Power consumption. I honestly don't know why they aren't equal but that's not really important for this post.) Ignore the PV Charger (solar) 0 value as I turned the PV panels off prior to taking these pics.

Name:	01 No Air Conditioner.JPG
Views:	1468
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	24394
                            Set the a/c on Cool Lo. Fan was first to kick on. Shore + AC Loads + DC Power = 422W

Name:	02 Fan Kicked On.JPG
Views:	1255
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	24395
                            Moments later the compressor kicked in. Initially this is what I witnessed : 33W + 1049W + 96W=1178W This unit does have an EZStart installed.

Name:	03 Compressor Kicked In.JPG
Views:	1279
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	24396
                            Highest value after a few more moments after the a/c completely ramped up: 39W + 1353W + 93W = 1485W

Name:	04 Highest Value Seen.JPG
Views:	1372
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	24397
                            1485W is very close to the maximum running capability of my Champion 2000W generator (which, as previously posted, is 1600). These tests weren't done with the generator, but if I had and turned on anything else in the trailer I'd be over the 1600W capacity. And that's the gas value, which I don't run so I couldn't do it running propane.

So the point? I bought the 2000W generator to charge the batteries, not directly run the air conditioner. With the inverter and batteries, I can hook up the generator and run the air conditioner and have any extra capacity sent to the batteries for storage. For your dual generator setup, this would be ideal as there'd be minimal generator run time or you could run some of the other components (not the water heater or another air conditioner!) in your trailer without any worries.

I hope this gives you some perspective.

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I had to go out and do some experiments. Note that I have Coleman units, so what I measured may be different since you have a Dometic.

...edited quote...

I hope this gives you some perspective.

Howard
                              When I first put the EZ Start on, I did the multiple "learn" cycles while plugged in to shore power. I did not detect a gradual compressor power up, I could just hear it come on a few minutes after the fan, as it should. My compressor is pretty quiet though on my Dometic, so I am not sure I could detect a subtle change in power to the compressor. I was on the roof when the compressor began to turn on so I could listen to it. A lot of climbing up and down during the learn cycle.

So, what I may do is create a cheater cord that will go between the plug and the outlet of the trailer and allow me to monitor the current in each wire as the AC kicks on. I have a clamp meter, but that does not work on an entire cord, it will do one conductor at a time; hence the need for the cheater cord with the exposed wires separate. Would not recommend anybody not electrically inclined to do this. I do not have the setup Howard has to monitor my power. When the compressor kicked on under one generator power, that surge is what overloaded the generator. My EZ start may not be properly ramping up the compressor as it should. Perhaps I need to re-do the learn mode. Will have to investigate this. I do have the ECO mode and keep that shut off when running the AC, even with 2 generators. In ECO mode, it will not kick off quick enough to deal with the AC surges. These are Yamaha 2000 watt generators comparable to Honda specs but a tad quieter. Costco used to sell them. The gas tank is a bit larger too.

BTW, for your "so what" files... Power (P) is measured in watts and is a function of voltage (E) multiplied by current (I) (P = IE). There is also a resistance factor (R) but that generally does not factor in unless you have under gauge conductors or very long power cords, or both. They are all interrelated.

As a side note, I looked at the thermostat and it was indeed set to high fan instead of Auto, so that explains why the fan never shut off when the AC reached its set temperature. Not sure how that got changed since I had it set on Auto. Maybe one of the kids was messing with it. I do not know if that would cause my generator issue.

Anyway, I will be pulling out a generator this weekend and trying it some more. If I cannot get one generator to run the AC, it defeats the purpose of my EZ start purchase.
                              Last edited by howson; 07-16-2020, 12:03 PM.
                              Tony G
                              KTM 250XC

Comment

Working...
                              X