Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you run 3 A/C units simultaneously with 50 amp service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you run 3 A/C units simultaneously with 50 amp service?

I did a search but didn't find anything with a solid answer to my question -
    I know Grand Design is now offering a third A/C option on Solitudes. But, can you run all three air conditioning units simultaneously with 50 amp service?

I searched several other forums and got answers ranging from yes to no way. Has anybody actually tried it?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Originally posted by Triplethreat
    My Momentum 394 has three A/C units and I run all three quite often.
    Great! Thanks for sharing!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Triplethreat makes a very valid point, it's all about load. Three A/C units turning the compressors on at the same time will hit about 60 amps, breaker goes. Ok, that doesn't happen. Typically the built in Electronic Management System (EMS) watches the loads and doesn't allow something to start if the load is to high. It's pretty good but it is not perfect, as Triplethreat mentioned you add other load to the EMS and it can't keep up.

Three A/C's when it's hot. I have run mine a couple of times, mostly we try to stick closer to the 70f mark but occasionally will get caught. We leave all 3 a/c units on. Lots of times one end of the RV is in the sun, that one kicks on first. Then distribution and insulation kick in. Cool air is distributed, overall coach temp comes down. Second A/C kicks in, adds more cooling. First one shuts off, its pulled it's thermostat down where it needs to be. Third A/C then comes on. I have never seen all three of my A/C units on at the same time. I have never seen all three compressors try to start at the same time.

Mostly you just turn the systems to where you think they need to be and let them sort out the rest. On a very rare occasion you may have a problem, mostly a blown breaker. So just in to it, turn them all on and see how they act.

In my experience it has not been an AMP overload, but a V deficiency that causes problems. The dreaded brown out. Kind of the other end of the capacity issue. I highly recommend a higher end EMS on the pedestal, (internal mount is good also). It just keeps odd things from turning to bad things.
      2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
      2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
      E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
      Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Working...
      X