Coleman-Mach L.Rm A/C stopped cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman-Mach L.Rm A/C stopped cooling

My living room AC stopped cooling in my 375RES; was running great until high humidity with remnants of tropical storm came thru Illinois on 6/9. Bedroom unit still working. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. Went on rooftop and checked coils & fins and all pretty clean. Also cleaned inside filters. Ran Hi fan to melt any icing. Any ideas how to get cold air circulating again? Thx!

Originally posted by Dwfreeman37 View Post
    My living room AC stopped cooling in my 375RES; was running great until high humidity with remnants of tropical storm came thru Illinois on 6/9. Bedroom unit still working. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. Went on rooftop and checked coils & fins and all pretty clean. Also cleaned inside filters. Ran Hi fan to melt any icing. Any ideas how to get cold air circulating again? Thx!
    I have used low fan on high humidity days to keep our cool. This has worked well for us and we continue to do so. At high fan or auto fan the humidity is too high for the unit to keep up. We have Dometic and not Coleman but would be worth a try.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hey Dave - You made it to the forum. A big hearty welcome to you and Stephanie.

Dave and I used to work together at the rocket factory He called me this morning regarding this failure and I was at a loss for how to approach it.

Can any of you trouble-shooting gurus point him in the right direction?

Thanks,

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Dwfreeman37 View Post
        According to the manual, Should icing-up occur, it is necessary to let the cooling (evaporator) coil defrost before normal cooling operation is resumed. During this time, operate the unit in the “HIGH FAN” position with the system at maximum air flow. When increased or full air flow is observed, the cooling coil should be clear of ice.

From your post it appears you did that--is there "full flow" coming out of the unit?

Only other possibility I can think of is pedestal voltage. Seems like a remote possibility, but do you have a way to validate the voltage levels and monitor what happens when the air conditioner attempts to start?

Welcome to the forum!

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

According to the manual, Should icing-up occur, it is necessary to let the cooling (evaporator) coil defrost before normal cooling operation is resumed. During this time, operate the unit in the “HIGH FAN” position with the system at maximum air flow. When increased or full air flow is observed, the cooling coil should be clear of ice.

From your post it appears you did that--is there "full flow" coming out of the unit?

Only other possibility I can think of is pedestal voltage. Seems like a remote possibility, but do you have a way to validate the voltage levels and monitor what happens when the air conditioner attempts to start?

Welcome to the forum!

Howard
          I would be surprised if it was a voltage issue if his bedroom AC was running fine. What is your comfort level with a multimeter? Would be good to pull your thermostat and check that it is powering up the pins to call for cooling. I believe when on high cool you should have 12v between green and blue (high fan) as well as yellow and blue (compressor).

Where in Illinois are you? I am in the northeast suburbs.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
            I would be surprised if it was a voltage issue if his bedroom AC was running fine.
            I agree it's a stretch.

I found this video interesting, though since the RV Works guy is working on a Dometic the components won't be in the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I agree it's a stretch.

I found this video interesting, though since the RV Works guy is working on a Dometic the components won't be in the same place.

Thats a great video for sure. Coleman parts should be similar. It was also a stretch on the thermostat, but its inside and not on the roof so easiest to check lol.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

All, thanks for your suggestions. I ended up calling a mobile RV service co. and they quickly trblshot it and determined it was very low on freon. So it was an R&R of the entire unit which they had brought one along just in case. Our extended service plan took care of it all!

Comment

Dave - Thanks for the follow up. I think you kind of suspected that when we talked on the phone. Safe travels.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Guys I as well watched that video and used it to check out my 2020 GD reflection 287RLTS which uses a coleman mach 15. It all tested out good and I also believe that the compressor has leaked out and will need to be replaced. Problem is I live in it full time in West Texas and cannot return it to the dealer. Also read that it HAS TO be returned to a coleman dealer for warranty. But I see these posts where Mobil RV techs do these warranties, how do y’all get around this? I cannot move my RV at all for now. If I have to install a new AC and it’s not a warranty I am thinking about these mini splits everyone is using now. I’ve read they work way better. But any info to help getting this warrantied would be much appreciated. I’m disgusted that it’s already bad. I only moved the unit from Dallas to west Texas one time and that was in March. So is this short time frame the unit is damaged. Coleman has made great products in the past. I have a Mach 8 in my Casita that still works like the day we bought it. Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by michaelsflowersjr View Post
                      Guys I as well watched that video and used it to check out my 2020 GD reflection 287RLTS which uses a coleman mach 15. It all tested out good and I also believe that the compressor has leaked out and will need to be replaced. Problem is I live in it full time in West Texas and cannot return it to the dealer. Also read that it HAS TO be returned to a coleman dealer for warranty. But I see these posts where Mobil RV techs do these warranties, how do y’all get around this? I cannot move my RV at all for now. If I have to install a new AC and it’s not a warranty I am thinking about these mini splits everyone is using now. I’ve read they work way better. But any info to help getting this warrantied would be much appreciated. I’m disgusted that it’s already bad. I only moved the unit from Dallas to west Texas one time and that was in March. So is this short time frame the unit is damaged. Coleman has made great products in the past. I have a Mach 8 in my Casita that still works like the day we bought it. Thanks guys
                      Call GD Customer Service on Tuesday. Have your VIN handy as they will need it. Since you've read about the mobile techs the service fee you'll have to pay (for them to come to the trailer) won't be a surprise. GD, if pre-approved, will cover the labor and parts. The hardest part is getting the new a/c on the roof (and old one down).

GD's phone # is on home screen ("business card" on the right side).

BTW--welcome to the Technical Forum! Please post back with a follow-up.

Comment

Yes sir, thank you

Comment

Working...
                        X