310GK AC lost all high functions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 310GK AC lost all high functions

I have a 2017 Solitude 310GK and the AC has alway worked perfectly until last week. The main AC, a Coleman-Mach 48000 series, will not function on Hi Fan, Hi Cool or Hi Auto. It works perfectly on Low Fan, Low Cool and Low Auto. I've check the thermostat with a volt meter and it is signaling for high functions properly, but nothing is happening at the AC unit. Maybe the controller board is failing? Is there any other way to further isolate the issue?

Thanks,

John
    2017 F350 Diesel CC SB, 2017 Solitude 310GK

Originally posted by AZYJ322 View Post
    I have a 2017 Solitude 310GK and the AC has alway worked perfectly until last week. The main AC, a Coleman-Mach 48000 series, will not function on Hi Fan, Hi Cool or Hi Auto. It works perfectly on Low Fan, Low Cool and Low Auto. I've check the thermostat with a volt meter and it is signaling for high functions properly, but nothing is happening at the AC unit. Maybe the controller board is failing? Is there any other way to further isolate the issue?

Thanks,

John
    If it was mine I'd crawl up on the roof and see if the "high" circuit on the fan motor is being commanded on. If not, start tracing wires.

I'd also check the fan capacitor while I'm up there.

There are multiple sources on the internet on how to test capacitors in RV circuits.

WARNING: Messing with capacitors can be very hazardous if you don't know what you are doing. It will shock you into next week if you're really careless, so proceed with caution.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan Capacitor.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	23230
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for input and diagram. I'll get up there and see what is happening on that end.

John

Comment

I just installed a Coleman Mach 15. It took me a while to figure out how to wire it. Then the high modes weren’t working on mine. It worked just like yours on low speeds.

Today I unhook the low voltage wire at the control box marked “GH” for high. I put a multi meter on it to see what it read. Then I did the same with the low speed one marked “GL”. They both read the same in numbers and really meant nothing to me. I hooked them back up securely and was gonna research what to do next. I turned the thermostat on and tested it, and low and behold everything is working.

I wish I could be more specific. You can try unplugging and securely replugging all the low voltage wires on the control board, test and if needed do the same with the wires behind the thermostat.
        Steve, Sue, and pups Sky & Sierra
        2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
        2017 F350 CC, LB, 4x4, 6.7 Blue Ox WD

Comment

I haven't been able to get back to the trailer yet as we keep it in storage when not using it. Hopefully, this week I'll be able to go over and get up on the roof and see what is going on. I will definitely give this a try.

John

Comment

I haven't been able to get back to the trailer yet as we keep it in storage when not using it. Hopefully, this week I'll be able to go over and get up on the roof and see what is going on. I will definitely give this a try.

John
            Just FYI in case you aren’t aware, all the connections for the control box will be accessed from the ceiling. You will likely have to remove the ceiling assembly to do that. If the problem isn’t there and you need to get to compressors or capacitors then they will be on the top unit. These are the parts I just dealt with in these pics.
            Steve, Sue, and pups Sky & Sierra
            2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
            2017 F350 CC, LB, 4x4, 6.7 Blue Ox WD

Comment

Thanks,

John
              If you feel comfortable doing it with a meter - call for any of the Hi fan modes and check for 12VDC between GH and -B on the Coleman control box in the ceiling assy. If you do not have 12 VDC or above if you are plugged into AC power, then most likely it's the thermostat. If you have the 12VDC power then you need to check for AC power on your 9 pin coming out of the control box on the black and white wire. If you have good AC power out of the box you can eliminate the control box being bad and it maybe wiring up top. Another trick to use is to swap the GL and GH wire on the control box (you know the low speed fan works) and this will put 12VDC to the control box and then see if the Hi speed fan works.....

Make sense....

Mark
              2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
              2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
              2020 Momentum 376THS
              We're both proud USAF Retirees...
              Retired RV Tech

Comment

Steve - Thanks for posting the pictures and especially the control box. It wasn't clear to me where it was located even after reading the documentation from Coleman Mach.

Mark - I'm pretty sure the thermostat is functioning properly, but need to check what is happening at the control box. I like the idea of swapping the GL and GH as a diagnostic.

Thanks for the help, I'll post back with what I find.

John

Comment

I'm pretty sure the thermostat is functioning properly, but need to check what is happening at the control box. I like the idea of swapping the GL and GH as a diagnostic.

Thanks for the help, I'll post back with what I find.
                  Please DO post back with what you find. This afternoon I lost all my LO AC fan settings on my Coleman Mach.

Initially, when I set the thermostat to AC Lo or AC Lo Auto, the compressor hummed, but the fan didn't come on. Fan Lo didn't operate the fan.

All the corresponding AC Hi settings worked fine.

Then a miracle happened:

Went out after about an hour of running AC Hi and tried the Lo functions again. They're working now. ???

The point is, for a while, I had lost all my Lo functions in the same way AZYJ322 lost his Hi functions. I think it must be a similar problem and solution.

-Steve
                  2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                  Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                  2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                  18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                  640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                  Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                  Somerset, WI

Comment

I will definitely post back with what I find.

The reason I haven't done anything yet is I'm in Phoenix and have the trailer in storage. It has been too hot for me to spend any time inside the trailer.

We have a trip planned in September so I need to get this taken care of soon.

John

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Please DO post back with what you find. This afternoon I lost all my LO AC fan settings on my Coleman Mach.

Initially, when I set the thermostat to AC Lo or AC Lo Auto, the compressor hummed, but the fan didn't come on. Fan Lo didn't operate the fan.

All the corresponding AC Hi settings worked fine.

Then a miracle happened:

Went out after about an hour of running AC Hi and tried the Lo functions again. They're working now. ???

The point is, for a while, I had lost all my Lo functions in the same way AZYJ322 lost his Hi functions. I think it must be a similar problem and solution.

-Steve
                      ^^^^ #metoo
                      2017 310GK

Comment

Gotta love the search feature. Several people have mentioned things magically (my word) working again. This morning, I got fan (hi and low), but no compressor. Metered the back of the thermostat (it was easiest to get to), and it was signalling for the compressor. OK, open the AC from the inside / ceiling. Meter the tab on the control box, no 12V. Darn. Broken wire?

Pulling my hands back out, I brushed the wires going to the thermostat. Compressor came on! Yea!

Fan stopped. Boo!.

I ended up simply reseating (disconnect / reconnect) all of the signal wires going into the control box. All is working at this point. We'll see if this lasts or there is still an intermittent hiding.

I did not have to go up on the roof for this at all.

By the way, GDRV uses very fine solid wire for the thermostat wire. Not going to guess at the gauge, but it is about the same size as that in CAT-6. And they use the blue (not even red, which would still be too big for this wire) female spade terminals. I'm quite suspicious as to whether that crimp will last. I guess it is adequate, or a lot more people would be complaining about the AC gutting out.

Hope this may help someone.
                        -Al
                        Al and Kathe
                        :No longer full-time. New sticks and bricks in East Helena, MT

2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett)
                        2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)

Visited states map on the blog (below)
                        Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Comment

Originally posted by lobsters View Post
                          Meter the tab on the control box, no 12V. Darn. Broken wire?

-Al
                          Hey Al. Where is the control box? Picture?

Thanks.

-Steve
                          2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                          Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                          2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                          18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                          640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                          Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                          Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
                            Hey Al. Where is the control box? Picture?
                            Thanks.
                            -Steve
                            Sorry, I didn't think to take a pic while it was open, and I have it all buttoned up. But here is the description.

When the two filters are removed, there are four Phillips head screws visible. Removing those drops the interior cowling. Inside that is a flat plate held in place with two more Phillips head screws. Removing that gives you access to the underside of the AC.

On the forward side of the unit, look up and you will see the control box. The connections are all facing down, which makes maintenance from below easy. I was interested in the four right most spade terminals. Going from the right, 1 and 2 are fan high and fan low. I'm not sure now which was which, but they are labeled BH and BL. 3 is marked "Y", and the wire leading to it is yellow. This is the control for the compressor. Four is common / ground. I measured from pins 1, 2, and 3, to 4, to take my readings. +12V enables the feature.

When working in the thermostat, the end wires are red and yellow. Working from the red end, they are +12, common, fan low, fan high (or the other way around), and compressor.

The terminals in the thermostat are spring clips. To remove a wire, release the spring by pressing on the tiny button just behind the wire. (Behind if you're holding the thermostat with red on your left). Each wire goes into a well on the terminal block. There is enough exposed wire in each well that I was able to easily meter it just sticking the probe into the well alongside the signal wire.

Hope this helps.
                            -Al
                            Al and Kathe

Comment

Forgot to mention: If you DO want to open the unit up from the top, you'll find the interesting bits inside a sheet metal enclosure. The lid of the enclosure covers two sides, top and front. There are sheet metal screws around the edge of this lid. Those are the only screws that need to be removed. On the front, there are two screws (actually, they turn out to be bolts, but look like the other screws at first) about 2 inches up from the bottom. Do not remove these. They are holding the control box in place. If you need to remove the control box, it is held in place by spring clips that go over those bolts; from the inside just squeeze and pull to remove the nuts.

Be very careful of the capacitors! They hold charge even if the circuit breaker is off...

-Al
                              Al and Kathe

Comment

Working...
                              X