Coleman Heat Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman Heat Pump

A heads up...brand new 376THS and the heat pump never worked. Being a retired RV Tech I dove into troubleshooting. This system uses the One Control to manage the HVAC system.

Problem was when heat pump was selected the fan would spin VERY slow, compressor would come on. After MANY hours of troubleshooting and replacing the AC control box and fan motor (burned out during troubleshooting), all under warranty, I FINALLY found that in AC production someone had placed the reversing valve wire onto the fan capacitor versus the compressor capacitor. What was happening is it was powering both low and high speed fan when the reversing valve was powered. That is why the AC cooling worked okay. I placed the wire correctly but now have a fried reversing valve solenoid - at least the mystery is solved.....

Bottom line if you have a new rig with a Coleman heat pump and it just hums and has never worked - SHUT IT OFF and either check this or have it looked at by a certified tech.

Mark
    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
    2020 Momentum 376THS
    We're both proud USAF Retirees...
    Retired RV Tech

Originally posted by RV Tech Ret View Post
    A heads up...brand new 376THS and the heat pump never worked. Being a retired RV Tech I dove into troubleshooting. This system uses the One Control to manage the HVAC system.

Problem was when heat pump was selected the fan would spin VERY slow, compressor would come on. After MANY hours of troubleshooting and replacing the AC control box and fan motor (burned out during troubleshooting), all under warranty, I FINALLY found that in AC production someone had placed the reversing valve wire onto the fan capacitor versus the compressor capacitor. What was happening is it was powering both low and high speed fan when the reversing valve was powered. That is why the AC cooling worked okay. I placed the wire correctly but now have a fried reversing valve solenoid - at least the mystery is solved.....

Bottom line if you have a new rig with a Coleman heat pump and it just hums and has never worked - SHUT IT OFF and either check this or have it looked at by a certified tech.

Mark
    Mark,
    By "production" was it Coleman that wired it wrong or GD?

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Mark,

Howard
      I would think that would have to be a Coleman. When I installed my front AC all of the internal wiring was done already. I think all Grand Design does is connect the 120v and thermostat wiring. This sounds like the internal wiring up top for the compressor, reversing solenoid, and capacitors.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Mark,

Howard
        Yes Coleman. It must have been done during assembly of the unit before shipping to GD.

Mark
        2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
        2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
        2020 Momentum 376THS
        We're both proud USAF Retirees...
        Retired RV Tech

Comment

Working...
        X