2nd AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd AC

My new imagine 2670 MK was supposed to come from the factory with the 2nd AC and did not . The dealer added a 2nd unit but it is a stand alone unit , not ducted or thermostat controlled and I don't want it . Can it be done by the dealer to match a factory install?

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
    My new imagine 2670 MK was supposed to come from the factory with the 2nd AC and did not . The dealer added a 2nd unit but it is a stand alone unit , not ducted or thermostat controlled and I don't want it . Can it be done by the dealer to match a factory install?
    You can call Grand Design Customer Service to confirm what I'm about to write (phone number on "business card" on this forum's home page).

The duct work in your 2670MK is called a "racetrack" as it literally runs in a circle from the rear to the front of the camper. GD does not make different ductwork in 2670MKs--they all have the exact same path. The forward AC position (in the bedroom) is "ac prepped", which means the wiring is there, too.

This is an opinion, but if your dealer said the second AC can't be connected to the ductwork or wired into the thermostat wiring (it's there)--it sounds like they don't know what they are doing.

Again, call GD and provide them with your VIN. Ask for a "ROOF PLAN" drawing and you'll see exactly what I'm referencing.

Please post back and let us know the resolution.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

They now admit they put the wrong unit on and are going to fix it . It's amazing to me how little these dealers know .

Comment

That's great news Bill. And to make sure they don't have another uh-oh, there are two versions that they can put in to access the duct work. One will have the thermostat attached to the AC, and one will have the ability to use a wall mounted thermostat. I'm not 100% certain on your unit, but typically GDRV units have the wiring already run for a wall mounted thermostat. Normally, it's hidden behind a light switch in the wall. GDRV customer service can confirm this.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

They now admit they put the wrong unit on and are going to fix it . It's amazing to me how little these dealers know .
          In addition to Jim's note, the second AC is normally a 13.5K unit (vs the 15K main unit). If the main unit in the camper is a Coleman Mach 15, I suggest insisting the additional unit also be a Mach 15. (Again--the new one may be a 13.5K unit vs a 15K--that's OK--but both should have the same "profile" look when on the roof. The Coleman is known as a semi-quiet unit.)
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

In addition to Jim's note, the second AC is normally a 13.5K unit (vs the 15K main unit). If the main unit in the camper is a Coleman Mach 15, I suggest insisting the additional unit also be a Mach 15. (Again--the new one may be a 13.5K unit vs a 15K--that's OK--but both should have the same "profile" look when on the roof. The Coleman is known as a semi-quiet unit.)
            Thanks guys , it helps to go in armed with information .

Comment

OK now this is just unbelievable to me . the dealership just called an instead of fixing the AC issue they are bringing me a complete new trailer with 2 AC's from the factory .

Comment

OK now this is just unbelievable to me . the dealership just called an instead of fixing the AC issue they are bringing me a complete new trailer with 2 AC's from the factory .
                Well that's interesting, I wander how they came to that conclusion?

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

buffalobill
                  Well . . . Isn’t that an interesting turn of events. I have never heard of a dealer doing this. They must be figuring that they can make more money re-selling you current unit “as is” than what it would cost them to fix their series of mistakes.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    buffalobill
                    Well . . . Isn’t that an interesting turn of events. I have never heard of a dealer doing this. They must be figuring that they can make more money re-selling you current unit “as is” than what it would cost them to fix their series of mistakes.

Rob
                    This is still a brand new unit although it's been registered to me . It sure doesn't sound like they are very confident in their service department .

Comment

I'm wondering if they "sold" you the wrong unit in the first place? Maybe the first one was supposed to go to someone else or be a floor model and they got confused.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                        I'm wondering if they "sold" you the wrong unit in the first place? Maybe the first one was supposed to go to someone else or be a floor model and they got confused.

Jim
                        Maybe a little off track, but...
                        I have a 2016 GD 303RLS. It has just the one AC in the living room. I am toying with the idea of putting a second AC in the bedroom. I am not sure if the 303RLS also put the ducting, wiring, and theromstat wire in my walls already. Anybody have this tidbit of information? I can deal with installing the unit if I know I have the duct and wires. I currently have a Dometic Brisk II 15000 unit. Would probably get a Dometic low profile one, the 13,500 model. The front of the trailer is much higher than the rear hence the low profile one.
                        Tony G
                        2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
                        2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
                        KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post

I have a 2016 GD 303RLS. It has just the one AC in the living room. I am toying with the idea of putting a second AC in the bedroom. I am not sure if the 303RLS also put the ducting, wiring, and theromstat wire in my walls already. Anybody have this tidbit of information? I can deal with installing the unit if I know I have the duct and wires. I currently have a Dometic Brisk II 15000 unit. Would probably get a Dometic low profile one, the 13,500 model. The front of the trailer is much higher than the rear hence the low profile one.
                          If only we knew someone that knows something about a 303. Oh...wait.. (As if this was coming over a hospital intercom: Calling Dr. Rob. Dr. Rob, you're needed on the forum.) Cate&Rob

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post

Your 2016 Reflection FW 303 will certainly have all the necessary components you mention for adding a second AC. This has been a stanard feature on all Reflection models since 2014. BTW, the thermostat wires are typically hidden behind the bedroom light switch. And if you pull down the vent bezel, you'll see all the wiring you need to do the job.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

tgodrich howson

Hi Tony,

The Reflection 303RLS has wiring and ductwork for a second AC unit. You can confirm this by looking at you electric panel where there will be two “AC” circuit breakers. The thermostat wiring is taped to the 12V wiring behind the bedroom light switch. The best installation is a ducted AC unit with a remote thermostat. Any brand should work if it meets these specs.

​​​​​​​Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X