Adding 3rd AC Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding 3rd AC Unit

I have a 2016 Solitude 379FL. It has one AC unit in the rear (bedroom) and one in the front (livingroom). We are full timing in west Texas and the heat is killing us, any suggestions for better more efficient AC. Can a third AC unit be installed (if that would even help)? We have put up sunshades in most of the windows to keep the heat out but it still gets pretty warm inside and the AC unit in the front doesn't seem to be keeping up much at all. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by JerryN View Post
    I have a 2016 Solitude 379FL. It has one AC unit in the rear (bedroom) and one in the front (livingroom). We are full timing in west Texas and the heat is killing us, any suggestions for better more efficient AC. Can a third AC unit be installed (if that would even help)? We have put up sunshades in most of the windows to keep the heat out but it still gets pretty warm inside and the AC unit in the front doesn't seem to be keeping up much at all. Any suggestions?
    There are a number of items to check on your air conditioners. Given their age, the might need some TLC.

One of the best YouTube videos on the topic is by Chad and Tara, the couple from "Changing Lanes". Consider giving it a look and (if capable) trying the maintenance items Chad demonstrates. As an alternative, if you hire a professional to go through your air conditioners at least you'll know what to expect and ask to have done.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

It's not the most convenient, but prior to adding my second AC unit, when we would be somewhere particularly hot we would pull in one or both of our slides, then push them back out at night. Does a couple things, one the roof of the rig has thicker insulation than the slides, and two, when in there is less square footage to cool. The Momentums come with an optional third unit, but I do not think the Solitudes do. You could certainly add one, they take the same opening as a regular ceiling vent. Could get one that does not tie into the duct system and just dumps into the kitchen or living area, but you would need to get the wiring to it. Maybe surface mounted wire mold painted to match?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks for the video link and the ideas. As soon as it cools off a little bit more, I am first going to clean the AC units and see if that helps. Sadly I have to admit its been a while since I have done a through cleaning on them. Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks for the video link and the ideas. As soon as it cools off a little bit more, I am first going to clean the AC units and see if that helps. Sadly I have to admit its been a while since I have done a through cleaning on them. Thanks again.
          There was a presentation at the virtual rally over the weekend by a company that makes a replacement air dam for the inside of the unit. He claims 40% increased airflow, and has had Grand Design and Coleman review it. They were impressed to the point that they are going to start including them in the rigs. I have no first hand experience, but it may be an option.

https://rvairflow.com/
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

There was a presentation at the virtual rally over the weekend by a company that makes a replacement air dam for the inside of the unit. He claims 40% increased airflow, and has had Grand Design and Coleman review it. They were impressed to the point that they are going to start including them in the rigs. I have no first hand experience, but it may be an option.

https://rvairflow.com/
            Dang it, Neil...hanging out on forums is expensive! I'll give a first-hand report once I install them--just ordered two to outfit both air conditioners. Note they have a discount code BEATTHEHEAT that is currently applicable.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Dang it, Neil...hanging out on forums is expensive! I'll give a first-hand report once I install them--just ordered two to outfit both air conditioners. Note they have a discount code BEATTHEHEAT that is currently applicable.

Howard
              lol you don’t have to tell me. I’m on hold cause my main unit is a Dometic. He was hoping to have those available in a few weeks.

Neil Citro

Comment

I'd like to add a third A/C unit to my 310GK. I would replace the kitchen exhaust fan. I think the size of that opening is the same size used for A/C units. I think it would be easy to drop an A/C unit into this existing hole. The issue for me is power. Can the existing OEM electrical panel handle an additional 20 amp circuit?

I just watched a video of a guy that added a 3rd A/C to a different brand. He replaced a single 15 amp breaker with a dual 15/20 amp breaker and wired the new A/C unit to that new 20amp circuit. Is that all you'd need to do for power? Can you run all three A/C units simultaneously and still use the microwave, water heater, etc? I wouldn't tie this new unit into the ducting. I would just dump the air. I also wouldn't care about a thermostat. I also read a post from a guy on another forum that runs his 3rd A/C by using an extension cord and connecting it directly to an outlet on the power pole outside. Seems like a hack but hey, it works!

Thoughts from the pros here?

BTW, the reason I want a third A/C unit is because we have a lot in Palm Springs and I'd like to be able to extend our time down there. But, when the temps exceed 105 (which is every day for 3 months), it's too hot inside even with two A/C units running basically around the clock.
                Brian & Kellie
                2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
                  I'd like to add a third A/C unit to my 310GK.
                  Hi Brian,

You have 100 amps at 120v to work with so as long as all three ACs are not on the same 50A side of the shore power, you should be able to run three. Depending on how the other heavy draws are divided, you might have to be careful with microwave, water heater, etc.

Replacing a single breaker with a twin breaker (if your panel is full) is a legitimate work-around. The biggest task will be getting the 120V feed from the panel up to that roof opening.

If you only need additional AC at your Palm Springs lot, have you considered a "stand alone" AC unit that lives there on the ground outside the RV and is ducted into it? Like a mobile home unit.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Rob

It looks like I have an opening for a new breaker at the bottom of my panel. I didn't remove the cover so I'm not sure. If each side of the 100amp service is split in the center where it says "Main", then adding a circuit to the bottom half of my panel should work as I only have an A/C, the microwave and our residential fridge (sub panel) on that side. We have a washer/dryer combo unit but we don't use the dryer function.

Getting the wire to the electrical panel shouldn't be too bad. The run from the kitchen ceiling vent to the pantry (and then down to the basement and back of the panel) looks pretty straightforward in the 310GK. The hole for the A/C unit should already be the correct size and already framed in. I should be able to simply remove the existing MaxAir fan, drop the A/C in and run the wire to the panel. No ducting involved. Not sure about thermostat wiring. If there was some way to use the existing MaxAir fan control wiring that already runs to the ceiling vent, that would be awesome.

As you know, I'm no electrician but I actually think I could do this job myself. We won't be back in Palm Springs for another month and things will start cooling down by then (under 110 degrees F!) so I really don't need to add a 3rd A/C until next spring but I may do it before then if it's as easy as it seems.

I've never seen an external mobile home A/C unit. I'll look into that but I'd prefer to have the 3rd unit built into the RV.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Electrical panel.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.8 KB ID:	27879
                    Last edited by bertschb; 08-25-2020, 02:45 PM.
                    Brian & Kellie
                    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
                      I'd like to add a third A/C unit to my 310GK. I would replace the kitchen exhaust fan. I think the size of that opening is the same size used for A/C units. I think it would be easy to drop an A/C unit into this existing hole. The issue for me is power. Can the existing OEM electrical panel handle an additional 20 amp circuit?

I just watched a video of a guy that added a 3rd A/C to a different brand. He replaced a single 15 amp breaker with a dual 15/20 amp breaker and wired the new A/C unit to that new 20amp circuit. Is that all you'd need to do for power? Can you run all three A/C units simultaneously and still use the microwave, water heater, etc? I wouldn't tie this new unit into the ducting. I would just dump the air. I also wouldn't care about a thermostat. I also read a post from a guy on another forum that runs his 3rd A/C by using an extension cord and connecting it directly to an outlet on the power pole outside. Seems like a hack but hey, it works!

Thoughts from the pros here?

BTW, the reason I want a third A/C unit is because we have a lot in Palm Springs and I'd like to be able to extend our time down there. But, when the temps exceed 105 (which is every day for 3 months), it's too hot inside even with two A/C units running basically around the clock.
                      Brian,
                      According to the ROOF FRAMING plan for your 310GK (at least as of 10/19) there are three possible installation locations for air conditioners in your unit. I'd guess your two existing are the front (bedroom) and rear (living room). The third possibility according to the drawing is over the very front edge of the hutch (directly above your head if you were standing in that small walkway between the island and hutch).

The ducting *may* be right there ready to tie in, so don't dismiss that as a possibility.

Since that location is marked "a/c opt" that should mean the wiring is there for power and a thermostat, too. What I don't know is which c/b GD intended to use for unit power. GD may have swapped it out for the sub-panel c/b. If I'm right that means the drawing I'm looking at is out-of-date.

Bottom line: a call to GD Customer Service to discuss the options for your specific build is in order. Reference the ROOF FRAMING and HEAT/AIR PLAN drawings as the genesis for your questions regarding the feasibility of a 3rd a/c (ducting, power, thermostat, etc).

Of course, the other option is pull down the valance and look for the wires and ducts.

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                        According to the ROOF FRAMING plan for your 310GK (at least as of 10/19) there are three possible installation locations for air conditioners in your unit. I'd guess your two existing are the front (bedroom) and rear (living room). The third possibility according to the drawing is over the very front edge of the hutch (directly above your head if you were standing in that small walkway between the island and hutch).
                        Hi Howard

It's good to know there may be wiring for a third A/C in the location in front of the hutch. One of the problems with this location, however, is my factory 300w solar panel is directly above it. I'd much prefer using the existing kitchen vent location since I wouldn't need to re-locate the solar panel, cut a hole in the ceiling and then cut a hole in the roof. It's nice having the vent in the kitchen but I'd prefer to use that location for a 3rd A/C unit. I'd still have the bathroom vent to remove air and I've already upgraded the whimpy OEM bathroom fan to a MaxAir unit so it really pulls air out of the RV.

I do appreciate you looking into the framing for me though!

-Brian
                        Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Working...
                        X