2nd Air Ducted vs Not Ducted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Air Ducted vs Not Ducted?

Getting ready to purchase a 2021 260RD in the next few days hopefully. A further away dealer has both airs installed & ducted. The local dealer can add a 2nd AC (either a Dometic Brisk Air 2 low profile 13.5) or a Coleman Mach 10 low profile 13.5). The saleswoman was saying not ducted is better in the bedroom as less air travels though the ducts where it is closer to the ceiling and hotter. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for any help offered,

Glenn Weiner
    Richmond, VA

Originally posted by GWeiner View Post
    Getting ready to purchase a 2021 260RD in the next few days hopefully. A further away dealer has both airs installed & ducted. The local dealer can add a 2nd AC (either a Dometic Brisk Air 2 low profile 13.5) or a Coleman Mach 10 low profile 13.5). The saleswoman was saying not ducted is better in the bedroom as less air travels though the ducts where it is closer to the ceiling and hotter. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for any help offered,

Glenn Weiner
    Richmond, VA
    Definitely better to have ducted. Can choose to run the unit in the room you’re not in once the rig is cooled down for noise. As far as I know all the Grand Design rigs that are setup for a second AC unit are set for ducted so it should be a non issue. Just have them add the ducted unit. I did my own and it was pretty easy. Hardest part was getting it up to the roof.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Absolutely request ducted. GDRV went to a lot of trouble to design the "raceway" ducting system. It is so helpful on a hot day to have both AC's working to cool the whole unit through the shared duct work. And as Ncitro mentioned, it's nice to turn on the bedroom AC and have cool air in the living room without all the noise.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

What ncitro wrote is exactly what my wife and I do in our camper. Absolutely no question get the 2nd AC ducted. To clarify, it does not have to come from the factory in order to get a ducted unit installed. All of the 260RDs are "plumbed" the exact same way for air conditioning. Some just don't have the actual unit on the roof.

That's a long way of saying "I agree!" with the other forum members!
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Wow! Thanks so much for quick responses and so helpful. I had not thought of the bedroom AC cooling the living room area quietly. NCitro, you said that you put your own second AC in, and were able to connect it to the ductwork? Any complications? What AC unit?

With great appreciation (and hope, as once this decision is resolved I can order my camper, gasp!)

glenn

Comment

Wow! Thanks so much for quick responses and so helpful. I had not thought of the bedroom AC cooling the living room area quietly. NCitro, you said that you put your own second AC in, and were able to connect it to the ductwork? Any complications? What AC unit?

With great appreciation (and hope, as once this decision is resolved I can order my camper, gasp!)

glenn
            I went with the Coleman penguin 2 since they are a bit quieter. I put a 15kbtu unit in, that way if my living room unit died I had the same size in the bedroom to carry me until I could get it fixed. It’s been great, no complaints at all.

Neil Citro

Comment

nCitro, Thanks, you were able to connect it to the ductwork? with doing something extra, or it automatically connects in to it?

glenn

Comment

nCitro, Thanks, you were able to connect it to the ductwork? with doing something extra, or it automatically connects in to it?

glenn
                Yes I tied into the ductwork. It’s the same AC unit, you just need to order the right inside cover that channels the air sideways into the ductwork rather than down directly into the room. I realizeYou don’t have your rig yet, but when you drop the inside cover of the skylight, you’ll see the ductwork rubbing on the sides, and there’s openings there that are taped up. You just remove that tape and the opening line up with the air output of the cover.

Neil Citro

Comment

nCitro, Thank you so much!
                  glenn

Comment

glenn
                    If you watch Chad's video (aka "Changing Lanes", starting at about the 17:16 mark) you'll be able to see what ncitro is referencing.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

glenn
                      I checked my notes and it was a Coleman Mach 8. I got the heat pump version which has been great when we have hookups and it’s a little cool out.
                      Last edited by ncitro; 07-18-2020, 05:36 PM.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                      X