Adding a second AC to a 2020 2500RL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a second AC to a 2020 2500RL

We have recently purchased a new RV, a 2020 GD Imagine 2500RL. So far, so good and we are loving every minute. My question is about the AC system. Is it possible to add a second AC unit in the master bedroom? I don't know if this model is pre-wired for a second AC system (?) or if the 30A system would be able to handle a second AC unit. As the thermostat is currently in the master bedroom, would a better solution be to add a non-ducted unit in the master bedroom and simply leave the existing system alone? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Geldmacher
    Welcome to our owners technical forum!

Grand Design would not normally wire a 30A trailer for a second AC because with other electrical loads, it would be very difficult to run two ACs on 30A. Check your electric panel . . . if you only have one breaker marked AC, that is the only wiring.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I do have friends that have a 30 trailer. Their rig can't handle the electrical load for a second AC unit. So they carry a portable AC unit with them that can run on a 15 amp 120V circuit. They place the discharge hose and the cord out their bedroom window, and then use a heavy duty extension cord to plug into the ahore power pedestal's 15 amp outlet to power the portable AC. And if the weather is going to be cool, they can leave it at home and not have to lug the extra weight. They range in price from $275 - $500 which is a lot cheaper than a roof mounted unit.

Here's one similar:

https://smile.amazon.com/Black-Decke...s%2C230&sr=8-5

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

You could also always install a stand alone AC unit in the ceiling and route the power feed outside somehow to be plugged into the post directly. I did this on a popup once for a friend. Easy roof access there, so we routed a short cord out of the unit onto the roof and plugged in a heavy extension cord before raising the roof.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Moderator note - moved this thread to HVAC channel
          Andi
          Brookings SD
          2018 Reflection 337RLS
          2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

Working...
          X