Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RV Airflow System Installed in both Colemans ( 2019 315RLTS )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Airflow System Installed in both Colemans ( 2019 315RLTS )

23 Jun: Don't miss the update to this mod in post #37!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to ncitro spending my money for me (kidding) I ordered two of RV Airflow's "Systems" for the Coleman Mach air conditioners in my Reflection 315RLTS. It is important to note that even though it is a 2019 (by VIN) by construction it is a 2018.

First impression: Wow. What a fantastic difference. Not only is the airflow improved, but the big piece of foam between the fan and the interior also creates a sound insulator so the a/c is quieter.

The install video I'll be referencing (might help to watch this first before continuing to read):

As noted in the video, in a late 2019 and into 2020 GD used an "insert board" that will look like this (picture taken from video):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Insert Board.JPG Views:	706 Size:	19.0 KB ID:	25462

My installation did not have this insert nor the duct inserts referenced in the video. The next two pictures are what the ducts looked like in my camper.

First, with the tape still installed:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Taped up.JPG Views:	440 Size:	133.0 KB ID:	25463
    Now with the tape removed

Click image for larger version  Name:	Taped Removed.JPG Views:	448 Size:	96.1 KB ID:	25464
    The duct insert that came with the kit would not install in one duct in the living room as shown in the picture above. The duct is blocked by the laminate board on the left side and also by the framing.

To get the duct insert installed I had to peel away some of the laminate and then cut tabs as shown below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tabs.JPG Views:	441 Size:	59.1 KB ID:	25465

Not a part of the installation instruction, but I put the 1 inch separator back in against the return wall as extra insulation. It fit, so why not? The DW also sealed up all the gaps that could allow the air from the gap between the ceiling and roof to be pulled into the air return.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Separator.JPG Views:	446 Size:	118.0 KB ID:	25466

Will continue in the next post...
    Last edited by howson; 06-23-2021, 10:35 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

...continued

In the bedroom installation she also had to seal up around the Airflow System in the plenum because it was not a tight fit. There was definitely cool air bypassing around the sides instead of going through the ducts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sealed around Airflow.JPG Views:	0 Size:	107.6 KB ID:	25468

Short before and after comparison (not exactly scientific but you'll get the idea):

The install sheet that comes with the kit is attached.

The hardest part of the install was lining the bolts during reassembly. The living room was not easy.

I’d rate this project a 2.75 on the following scale:

1 = A No Brainer (install a Valterra Twist-On Gate Valve)
    2 = Easy, but Read the Directions (install a LevelMate Pro)
    3 = Doable, but not easy and some expertise is required (Install an internal EMS)
    4 = This One is Tough! Consider having it done by a professional
    5 = Dealer or Factory Only (Think wall or slide replacement)

Any questions...fire away.

Howard
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 07-26-2020, 12:15 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Hi Howard

I just did this mod last week. I found the instructions and their video pretty worthless. My wife and I figured it out on our own. I agree it's an easy job once you understand how the device works. We probably spent two hours on the first one. The second one was around 20 minutes with 15 of that being sealing the ducting off. It's definitely quieter now with much more air flow out of the vents. The true test for us will be when we return to our lot in Palm Springs this fall. If this device can keep our RV cool in 105 degree temps, it's a winner!

Once again Howard, thank you so much for taking the time to share your work. I've done a lot of mods to my Grand Design RV's but only after watching people like you doing the work and documenting it for the rest of us. I installed a rooftop antenna for my cellular mobile router last week. I haven't seen anybody else do that yet. Probably should have shared that work here...
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

howson Great glad you get to do the experimenting! I installed my Coleman myself, so when I put it up there I taped and sealed the ducts really well. After looking at yours I shudder to think what the Dometic in my living room looks like. Give us an update after some use. Glad to hear it moves a lot of air now.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
          howson After looking at yours I shudder to think what the Dometic in my living room looks like.
          Neil - Here is what the Dometic in my RV looked like. Pathetic...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gap.jpg
Views:	3423
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	25478

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gap.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.4 KB ID:	25478

Jim
            I kind of figured. I should really get up here and open mine up. Of course if they release the a Dometic kit then I’ll probably do it all at once.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gap.jpg
Views:	3423
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	25478

Jim
              Mine looked much the same when I opened it up. I had to use a bit of foil duct tape to fix it and seal it properly.

Rob
              Rob & Barb
              2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

We just picked up our 2021 Reflection 315RLTS last week. The rear A/C had the RV Airflow System installed but the bedroom A/C didn’t. Not sure why. I agree that it makes a huge difference in air flow and noise level. I’ve asked the dealer to get the second one from GD and have GD pay them to install it. Fingers crossed!
                Bob and Joanne
                2021 Reflection 315RLTS
                2020 F-250, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 7.3 Gas, 4x4
                20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Bhbery View Post
                  We just picked up our 2021 Reflection 315RLTS last week. The rear A/C had the RV Airflow System installed but the bedroom A/C didn’t. Not sure why. I agree that it makes a huge difference in air flow and noise level. I’ve asked the dealer to get the second one from GD and have GD pay them to install it. Fingers crossed!
                  Interesting.

GDRV-Emily and/or GDRV-Megan -- feedback for Micah's Reflection team. Apparently the bedroom a/c (which is "optional" in a 315RLTS) didn't get an RV Airflow installation. Oversight?

Comment

From what I read, they're only installing them on the main unit.

Man this is going to be pricey to do my 3 A/Cs. Why do you people spend my money like this? Do you not understand the eye rolls I received on the "accessories" I bought before the trailer was even delivered!?!?!
                    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                    2020 Momentum 351M
                    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Bhbery please see the info below that was provided to us by our Reflection Team:

This was not a mistake, the RV Airflow is intentionally put on only 1 A/C. Ultimately what it does is increases the amount of airflow (cfm’s) that comes out of all vents. The biggest increase in cfm’s is those furthest away from the main A/C. If you were to put the RV Airflow system on the 2nd A/C then you’d have a current of air now coming from the opposite direction of the main A/C which would fighting airflow from the main A/C, reducing the amount of air coming out of each vent.

In theory, the most effective way to cool a unit with the 2nd A/C and the RV Airflow system on the main A/C would be to only use it in the “quick dump” setting, if at all.

Unfortunately, if you are wanting the 2nd RV Airflow installed, this would not be covered under warranty as it is not something installed from Factory.

Here is the address for RV Airflow if you want to learn more about it https://rvairflow.com/?gclid=CjwKCAj...xoCm88QAvD_BwE

howson GDRV-Megan

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
                        From what I read, they're only installing them on the main unit.

Man this is going to be pricey to do my 3 A/Cs. Why do you people spend my money like this? Do you not understand the eye rolls I received on the "accessories" I bought before the trailer was even delivered!?!?!
                        Curtis - Emily's post #11 just saved you some moola.......somebody is looking out for your financial well being !

Dan
                        Dan & Carol
                        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

If this airflow baffle will improve airflow from the rear AC throughout the ductwork . . . the same baffle in the front AC should improve airflow through the ductwork when the rear AC is not running (which is a common operating mode due to noise considerations). Unless this new baffle blocks enough noise to make this no longer necessary?

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I'm with you Rob. I'm not understanding Emily's response here, for a couple of reasons. One with explanation, one with a diagram.

In the tests conducted on from the RV Air Flow site, each vent increased with the addition of the foam to each unit. If they were counter productive, those numbers would have dropped.

From my understanding (diagram to follow), the racetrack system adds flow to the direction the air is flowing, hence the racetrack system.
                            Attached Files
                            Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                            2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                            2020 Momentum 351M
                            2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Looking at the way the RV Airflow block is formed I wonder if installing it into 2 a/c's would cause the air not to flow as good thru the second one. Reviewing some of the drawings that I have it is interesting that there are 2 types of "racetrack" ducting used, both noted in the attachment from OffToHavasu above. I wonder if 2 where installed that one would maybe "block" the flow.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X