Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RV Airflow System Installed in both Colemans ( 2019 315RLTS )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a 2021 2970RL built the end of June 2020. Two A/C units and both came with the RV Airflow installed.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post
      We have a 2021 2970RL built the end of June 2020. Two A/C units and both came with the RV Airflow installed.
      Only thing I can think is someone goofed at the factory--you were only supposed to get one. I've gone 'round and 'round with GD on this issue and they are adamant that only one RV Airflow is installed in GD RVs.

Out of curiosity--have you pulled off the cover and verified the installation of the RV Airflows? You may remember this thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ll-upside-down where the component in the bedroom a/c was upside down (so it wasn't working correctly).

Howard

Edit: Also--was the second one installed by the dealer or did it come that way from GD?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Only thing I can think is someone goofed at the factory--you were only supposed to get one. I've gone 'round and 'round with GD on this issue and they are adamant that only one RV Airflow is installed in GD RVs.

Out of curiosity--have you pulled off the cover and verified the installation of the RV Airflows? You may remember this thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ll-upside-down where the component in the bedroom a/c was upside down (so it wasn't working correctly).

Howard

Edit: Also--was the second one installed by the dealer or did it come that way from GD?
        I just checked the bedroom unit and it is installed correctly, from what I can tell right now. Curved side is down. When I add the bedroom unit the airflow out of the vents increases sifnificantly. Not sure who installed it but the trailer did come from GD with two units. I will be taking the cover off when I get home. Looking up the return side there seems to be a nest of wires just crammed up their.

I realized there is only one ceiling AC vent in our bedroom. Seems like it would be nice to have the ability to do the dump if needed. Luckily I have all winter to think about it. Wait, I'm in Florida, there is no winter. 😁
        Mike & Lisa
        Central Florida
        2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

With the RV Airflow installed and the bedroom a/c running, air runs through the entire "loop" and, of course, exits out of any vents in the trailer. When using the "dump" feature (without an RV Airflow installed) only the bedroom is getting a/c. I'd like to have that option.

Now that I have (and used) the RV Airflow system, I think GD has it right--install the device in the living room a/c but not in the bedroom. Unfortunately I tossed the components to the bedroom a/c so can't reconfigure to test. (That was dumb, in retrospect.) :(
          Howard, sorry for the late response. If you're still needing the missing parts, when I get around to adding mine I'll save/send you my old parts.
          Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
          2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
          2020 Momentum 351M
          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post

Howard, sorry for the late response. If you're still needing the missing parts, when I get around to adding mine I'll save/send you my old parts.
            Yes, please--thank you!
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson Thank you for posting this. I learned about these last week and hadn't searched here for it yet. This does answer a question that I had wondered about.
              As with many, SWMBO is working from home, but is trying hard to work herself back into the the office even after being classified as "high risk". The problem is that she has a tendency to, shall we say. "misadjust" the setting for the fake fireplace. With the bedroom being at the higher elevation, and heat rising and so forth and so on, I have awakened to a 80+ bedroom. I leave the A/C at 74-75 with the dump open, but know that there is still flow to the vents in the living room. This helps me understand a little more about how the system actually works. I was under the impression that the "racetrack" designation actually an airflow that ran in a circle. But I know now that it flows to both sides, so I'll just worry about getting one for the main A/C and chalk up a lost sale to my learning curve.
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Update: 23 Jun

Short Version: I removed the RV Airflow from the bedroom air conditioner and now just use just one in the Living Room's air conditioner. I do not recommend the second Airflow in a "racetrack" system on a Reflection 315RLTS based on my personal experience with the product.

Long Version: On a recent trip the DW and I encountered hot summer temperatures. We had to leave our dogs in the camper for a few hours so the air conditioners were left on. To my surprise, upon returning to the camper the temperature inside was in the mid-80s (thermostats were set to 74) and warm air was coming out of the vents.

Using a thermal temp gun I measured the temperature coming out of the vents and found with just the living room air HVAC unit on the air was cool but with the bedroom unit on, too, the vent air was warm.

I hoped that this was just a fluke failure but it happened again while we were at the camper--the bedroom air conditioner (when on) actually caused poor performance from both air conditioners.

Thinking I had a pending failure in the bedroom air conditioner, I removed the RV Airflow from it and taped up the inside vents, effectively making the ceiling "racetrack" into two legs. If you look at how the RV Airflow is designed, this setup complements the Airflow's design as the two air conditioners are no longer "fighting" each other.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Racetrack 0.JPG Views:	0 Size:	27.6 KB ID:	58425

Below shows the 315RLTS' floorplan and how I isolated the bedroom air conditioner from the "racetrack" and also with the interior racetrack untaped and then taped up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Air Conditioner Setup.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.7 KB ID:	58426

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Addition as of 5 Aug 21: The pic below is how a 351M Momentum's racetrack is layed out. I think that's why OffToHavasu has so much success with multiple RV Airflows as documented in his thread here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...eat-rv-airflow

Click image for larger version

Name:	351M Racetrack (Large).jpg
Views:	580
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	62732 End of 5 Aug edit
                -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The red lines in the picture above correspond to the vents shown below. (Both sides are now taped up--the open one on the left below is just to show how it looked.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Racetrack 3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	83.5 KB ID:	58427

What I think was happening is the two air conditioners were fighting each other due to way the RV Airflow is designed and the RV Airflow works too good, if that's possible. With the loads placed on the HVAC units (due to the high ambient temperatures) the bedroom conditioner compressor stopped working even though the fan continued to spin. This is conjecture, though, as I do not have proof, but once the RV Airflow was removed the bedroom air conditioner never stopped blowing cold air into the bedroom.

The bedroom air conditioner (without the interior "guts" since I foolishly threw the Air Shower plate away when I installed the RV Airlfow) now dumps directly into the bedroom at full blast and is noisy, but it cools the room fast. It's also a boon since now when stopped on the road the bedroom air conditioner cools the room in a short time (running off the inverter) so there's a comfortable place to rest for a moment or too. With the RV Airflow installed a lot of the air went into the racetrack and dumped into the living room--where there was no chance it was going to cool the RV during a short rest stop.

The main HVAC unit in the living room can still dump air into the bedroom, too, through the two vents. I found that sufficient to keep the bedroom cool during the night with the living room HVAC set to COOL LO and a comfortable thermostat setting.

Any questions...fire away.

Howard
                Last edited by howson; 08-05-2021, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Interesting observation Howard. The Reflections must be ducted differently than Momentums. The Momentums have sweeps that cause them to blow only one direction. At your rear unit, it's more of a wye. Additionally, on the bedroom ducts on the Momentum, the ducting goes past the unit in order to complete the racetrack, not push back against the rear unit. Does that make sense?
                  2020 Momentum 351M
                  2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
                    Interesting observation Howard. The Reflections must be ducted differently than Momentums. The Momentums have sweeps that cause them to blow only one direction. At your rear unit, it's more of a wye. Additionally, on the bedroom ducts on the Momentum, the ducting goes past the unit in order to complete the racetrack, not push back against the rear unit. Does that make sense?
                    Do you have a picture of the "sweep"? Nothing in the GD documents the Moderators have access to shows this distinction between the Reflection and Momentum.

Comment

OffToHavasu -- I can see how it the racetrack extends past the bedroom a/c unit on your Momentum. Similar to how the living room is setup in my Reflection. Interesting difference. Not uncommon across GD product lines. Amazing how different they can be.

Comment

Howard, here is a (very) crude mock up. The red dots reflect grill placement. This is NOT to scale. I just pulled GD's racetrack image for Momentum's and imposed it over a 351M floorplan. You'll have to look close, but you can see the three A/C units in there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	351MRacetrack.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.6 KB ID:	58434Click image for larger version  Name:	351MRacetrack.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.6 KB ID:	58435
                        Last edited by OffToHavasu; 06-23-2021, 11:16 AM.
                        2020 Momentum 351M
                        2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Thanks for the recap and write up howson . This gives me something MORE to think about. As I posted in this thread back in October, my Imagine 2970RL came with the RV Airflow in both units. We have defaulted to running the bedroom unit when we are in the living room and run the living room unit when in the bedroom. What you have detailed is what I believe I have observed in our Imagine with two RF Airflows. I don't notice an improved cooling performance with both units running. And the cooling may actually be less with both units running.

When I previously read this thread I didn't see the post by GDRV-Emily on 8/20 that said the Reflection team does not recommend two RV Airflows. Especially running them both at the same time. Odd why my Imagine came from the factory with two RV Airflows. Probably a mistake.

We will be camping here in Florida in July so I'll have to see how one unit does. We may need to take the RV Airflow out of the bedroom unit so we can run both at the same time using the air dump in the bedroom.

I'm guessing if I take out the RV Airflow I will need to get a splash plate and separator to put back in? I can make the separator but not sure about he splash plate.
                          Mike & Lisa
                          Central Florida
                          2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post
                            Thanks for the recap and write up howson . This gives me something MORE to think about. As I posted in this thread back in October, my Imagine 2970RL came with the RV Airflow in both units. We have defaulted to running the bedroom unit when we are in the living room and run the living room unit when in the bedroom. What you have detailed is what I believe I have observed in our Imagine with two RF Airflows. I don't notice an improved cooling performance with both units running. And the cooling may actually be less with both units running.

When I previously read this thread I didn't see the post by GDRV-Emily on 8/20 that said the Reflection team does not recommend two RV Airflows. Especially running them both at the same time. Odd why my Imagine came from the factory with two RV Airflows. Probably a mistake.

We will be camping here in Florida in July so I'll have to see how one unit does. We may need to take the RV Airflow out of the bedroom unit so we can run both at the same time using the air dump in the bedroom.

I'm guessing if I take out the RV Airflow I will need to get a splash plate and separator to put back in? I can make the separator but not sure about he splash plate.
                            Mike,
                            The unit works without the internals, but will likely be quieter and work as intended with them. I believe the two parts removed (and not reinstalled) are the Air Shower Plate and 1-inch separator.

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	Items.JPG
Views:	690
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	58445

Comment

howson Howard, Make it home on friday after 2 weeks of traveling. GF's Sister is with us, and with both units on, she freezes in the back while we bake. What I found is by setting the rear AC on Cool Lo, and the front on Cool Auto with the dumps open, it stays about even in the camper. During the day, I set both to Auto and close the dumps otherwise the living area never cools. I've tried one ac and it's just not enough.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Update: 23 Jun

Short Version: I removed the RV Airflow from the bedroom air conditioner and now just use just one in the Living Room's air conditioner. I do not recommend the second Airflow in a "racetrack" system on a Reflection 315RLTS based on my personal experience with the product.

Any questions...fire away.

Howard
                                howson , didn't Brittany comment on the reason why not to use more that one of these with the racetrack duct system? I'm searching but haven't located it yet.
                                Bill & Cindy
                                2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                                SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X