Fixing a hole that runs through the AC duct in 2020 303RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing a hole that runs through the AC duct in 2020 303RLS

HELP! I have installed a new antenna in on my rig to give me multi-cellular and WiFi boost capabilities (link below to bundle details). Because I am an overzealous fool I put the hole in the ceiling above the hutch and after getting it drilled through I realized I now have a hole running through the AC duct.

To mount my antenna on the roof I have a 22mm hole in the roof that goes straight down to the hutch. The antenna is using magnets to adhere to a 22 gauge steel plate that I have screwed to the roof and then I put a lot of self leveling sealant around the antenna and over the plate. Just finished the first 3 hour journey and the antenna stayed put and there is no water leaking so that all seems ok.

My problem, I think, is when the AC is running I see a lot of condensation building up on top of the self leveling sealant around the antenna. I can’t see if there is anything happening under the plate without removing the sealant and the plate and having to redo that work.

I would love your houghts on what I can do to fix my problem and, if possible, how this should have been done correctly to begin with?

https://www.mobilemusthave.com/Ultim...rk_p_1213.html
    2020 303RLS - RAM 2500 Diesel - Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Full timing

My first thought is that if you drilled through the duct work, it's a non-issue. Take a look at any RV running the AC on a warm humid morning and you'll see lots of condensation on the walls of the RV. This is because the walls are cooler than the surrounding exterior atmosphere. When the walls are cooler than the dew point of the air, condensation forms on the exterior of the RV. But if you look on the inside of the RV, there is no condensation. I imagine that the hole in the AC duct is cooling that steel plate. Condensation will be forming on the outside of the plate that is exposed to humid exterior air, but the inside will be dry just like the inside of the RV on a humid day.

For those of us not familiar with the metric system, a 22mm hole is a little bigger than 3/4". That will not let a lot of air out of the duct work. And unless you are running a heat pump, all your heated air will run through the floor duct work when you're running the furnace.

If it were me, I'd leave it alone. But others may have a different viewpoint.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
    X