Cooling the bedroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling the bedroom

We have a 2017 Reflection 29RS. The HVAC works well (and loudly) in the main area, but blows half-heartedly in the bedroom. We’ve tried closing the main floor vent half-way, closing the bedroom door, opening the bedroom vent, and various combinations of all these options. However, the room doesn’t cool.
    Suggestions?

Originally posted by dannsh13 View Post
    We have a 2017 Reflection 29RS. The HVAC works well (and loudly) in the main area, but blows half-heartedly in the bedroom. We’ve tried closing the main floor vent half-way, closing the bedroom door, opening the bedroom vent, and various combinations of all these options. However, the room doesn’t cool.
    Suggestions?
    First--welcome to the forum!

Grand Design's website shows the 29RS comes with the "Ultimate Power Package" which includes 50 amp service. Is your trailer a 50 amp unit?

If the answer is "yes" the easy fix is to add a 13.5K air conditioner in place of the vent you (probably) have now in the bedroom. Your trailer is already wired for the unit so it is a (relatively) easy installation.

I have Coleman Air Excell units in my 2019 315RLTS (a 15K in the living room and 13.5k in the bedroom) and they do a fine job. They are not exactly quiet, but they are definitely quieter than my friend's 2018 297RSTS that has the previous generation Dometic(?) a/c units. They are most definitely louder than the Colemans.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you. Adding AC for the bedroom is certainly something to consider. And maybe looking at quieter systems as well.

Comment

The nice thing about having two units is that you can use the one that is in the opposite end of the trailer from where you are. When we are in the living area of our 303, we turn on the bedroom air. When we go to bed, if we still need A/C, we leave the one on in the living room area. If it’s hot enough to need both, who cares how much noise they make?
        Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
        Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
        2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
        Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
        Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Ours seems to work pretty well. If you are in a hot climate 2 a/c's would really help , if not one should do the job. If you have not already inspected remove the bottom cover on the a/c and make sure that the 2 separate sections are indeed sperate. There is a baffle in between that many have found to be not sufficiently taped to avoid the cold air being drawn back into the a/c and not reaching its intended area. I also have placed a towel on the register behind the toilet and on the floor in the bedroom , this helps to keep the cold air from "falling" into the basement storage. When the a/c is running and you are ending up with a bunch of cold air in the basement storage this will stop that and keep the cold air inside the coach. When you remove the bottom cover on the a/c also check the sides where the duct work is attached to make sure they are correct. I am not sure how to remove the vents in the bedroom to check if they are connected correctly.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I kind of smile every time I step into the camper when it`s 95 plus, especially around Jackson Mississippi, the two ac units do a great job. At home I usually run one unit to keep the trailer around 78 or 80 degrees to keep some of the moisture out because of the humidity and the ac still cycles off and on.

Comment

Working...
            X