Furnace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace

Went to start the furnace this morning and nothing. Check fuse then went to furnace and found green on the lower part of board. Seems like moistur,e got to it but from where?

Dara & Jim
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2014 F350
    Conway, SC

Do you actually have "nothing"? Starting from the beginning, turn the thermostat down and wait a couple of seconds. Then turn the t'stat up to call for heat. Do you hear the furnace fan start up? After 20-30 seconds is there a click to open the gas valve? A click to ignite the gas? If these happen and then it all shuts down? Or, back to the first question, nothing at all? I know from personal experience that the circuit board does go bad. These are $100+, plus labor if you're not comfortable swapping it out.

Comment

That green gunk is sure interesting. It almost looks like the type of corrosion you get on the terminals of a lead acid battery. You might try cleaning the board and contacts before you throw in the towel and get a new board.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Yes nothing. Thermostat on power to board. One of the terminals is corroded and partly broken so no power to everything needed on board.
        My thought is moisture got to this area but have no idea how. Everything is caulked and sealed well.
        Board is bad as the terminal is broken from the corrosion. May be able to fix but not sue but other items on board look questionable.
        Fortunately I have another board at home.
        Just trying to determine why?
        Dara & Jim
        2016 Reflection 337RLS
        2014 F350
        Conway, SC

Comment

Sure, you need to get to the root of the problem. No reason to put a new board in now, just to have it corrode or short out. If you're comfortable you can view youtube videos on how to pull the furnace out and do a work bench inspection. Mine is in storage for another week or I could help you over the phone. Of course you can always go back to your dealer or get a mobile tech.
          Your thread only started yesterday. Maybe someone else here can assist.

Comment

Doing some surfing I read where others have had similar issues due to moisture. One mentioned a driving rain caused his issue and another after washing the unit.
            I’ve never had an issue but judging by the corrosion it did not happen over night. I would have to say that last spring was the last time we used furnace. I don’t usually pull the furnace cover that often but will add to the list of items to check.

i did not read of any real solution other than maybe a redesign of the cover or relocating rhe board. Anyone hear of anything?
            heading home tomorrow so may call Manufacture next week.
            Dara & Jim
            2016 Reflection 337RLS
            2014 F350
            Conway, SC

Comment

Originally posted by jamieline View Post
              i did not read of any real solution other than maybe a redesign of the cover or relocating rhe board. Anyone hear of anything?.
              If you can't relocate the board you may wish to spray it with a corrosion inhibitor like Fluid Film or Corrosion X. I use it on everything electrical on my boat. It does work well.

Robert and Chris
              2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
              2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Doing some surfing I read where others have had similar issues due to moisture. One mentioned a driving rain caused his issue and another after washing the unit.
                I’ve never had an issue but judging by the corrosion it did not happen over night. I would have to say that last spring was the last time we used furnace. I don’t usually pull the furnace cover that often but will add to the list of items to check.

i did not read of any real solution other than maybe a redesign of the cover or relocating rhe board. Anyone hear of anything?
                heading home tomorrow so may call Manufacture next week.
                Are you re-sealing the cover after you have it off?
                I believe that mine is sealed around the cover and if you have had yours off previously and had not re-sealed this may be the problem.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

There are two parts. One sealed and one removable. The fixed portion is sealed good. Caulking is in good shape. The removable portion has a seal on the inside that is in good shape. I don’t see signs of moisture anywhere else.
                  Dara & Jim
                  2016 Reflection 337RLS
                  2014 F350
                  Conway, SC

Comment

Went to start the furnace this morning and nothing. Check fuse then went to furnace and found green on the lower part of board. Seems like moistur,e got to it but from where?
                    It's a known problem with moisture getting into the area - if I recall they made a different seal for the panel. They since have repositioned the board, moving it up off the metal shelf. I believe this is a Suburban correct? Give them a call direct they may even send you parts since they are aware of the issue.

Mark
                    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
                    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
                    2020 Momentum 376THS
                    We're both proud USAF Retirees...
                    Retired RV Tech

Comment

It’s an Atwood. Will be callIng on Monday.
                      Dara & Jim
                      2016 Reflection 337RLS
                      2014 F350
                      Conway, SC

Comment

It’s an Atwood. Will be callIng on Monday.
                        Make sure you call Atwood direct and not GD.

Mark
                        2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
                        2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
                        2020 Momentum 376THS
                        We're both proud USAF Retirees...
                        Retired RV Tech

Comment

Got home yesterday and tried the other board. Unit fired right up with no issues.
                          Will call tomorrow.

Going to wash the unit today so will see if there is any moisture.

Dara & Jim
                          2016 Reflection 337RLS
                          2014 F350
                          Conway, SC

Comment

Working...
                          X