2021 Imagine 2600RB Heater whistle noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Imagine 2600RB Heater whistle noise

looking for any others that have a high pitch whistle from the heater. More predominant outside but still noticeable inside. I don't really want to take it in for repairs if I can avoid it. Dealer had no ideas over the phone.

Originally posted by Mike and Dee View Post
    looking for any others that have a high pitch whistle from the heater. More predominant outside but still noticeable inside. I don't really want to take it in for repairs if I can avoid it. Dealer had no ideas over the phone.
    Had a neighbor one time at a camp ground with one that sounded like a jet engine. It could be the outside grate that covers the inlet and exhaust. With the exhaust air speed hitting the grate it is possible that it would make a noise like you are experiencing. Also possible that something is causing it inside around the fan. Not sure how to fix other than pulling it apart. The outside grate would be the easiest.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you Brian. I agree with your thoughts about an air restriction. I'm plan on taking things apart (to a certain extent) to inspect for obvious obstructions. It's not quite Jet Engine level but it's high pitch and pretty annoying.

Comment

Does the water heater use a purge combustion air fan? Mine has this high pitched sound where it sounds like a purge fan.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          Does the water heater use a purge combustion air fan? Mine has this high pitched sound where it sounds like a purge fan.

Jim
          Hi Jim

The fan for the burner part of the heater is just a squirrel cage blower. The sail switch is located right at the bottom of this which reads the air velocity to allow the gas valve to open and ignition to take place. The blower is only about 3" wide. The noise could just be the right air speed combined with the path of travel and reaching a certain harmonic that produces a whistle or other high pitch noise. It may be as easy as adding something to the intake or exhaust side to change the airflow ever so slightly. I may have to do a little experimenting on a spare heater I have and see if I can find a solution or the problem.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Hi Jim

The fan for the burner part of the heater is just a squirrel cage blower. The sail switch is located right at the bottom of this which reads the air velocity to allow the gas valve to open and ignition to take place. The blower is only about 3" wide. The noise could just be the right air speed combined with the path of travel and reaching a certain harmonic that produces a whistle or other high pitch noise. It may be as easy as adding something to the intake or exhaust side to change the airflow ever so slightly. I may have to do a little experimenting on a spare heater I have and see if I can find a solution or the problem.

Brian
            Nice description Brian,

I can hear mine and it's not a problem. But then again, my hearing isn't what it used to be.

Jim

Comment

I'm not as familiar with the LP furnaces in our RV's, but in our home the natural gas furnace had a venturi where the gas & air mixed that produced a minor "whistling" noise when it was running.
              My assumption is there should be a venturi or something similar to to it that will be the source of your noise.
              If I was to hazard a guess, the air is moving through the assembly very efficiently which is causing the whistling noise so something as simple as scuffing the surface a little bit with a scuff pad or fine sandpaper might create a bit of surface turbulence that mitigates the "whistle".
              All this said - my input is purely a guess.
              Chris
              2019 Solitude 3740BH
              2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Working...
              X