Front A/C Evaporator Core Freezing Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front A/C Evaporator Core Freezing Up

Our rig is parked (stored) in SW Florida with slides closed an both a/c’s set at 85, Hi Auto, and were working fine. Went down there for 10 days to do some mods. Opened slides and set a/c’s to 74 deg. Seemed to run fine until about day 7, when front evap core froze up. Thawed out and then froze up again. After thawing, I started watching it and the core starts freezing up at the top first. Daytime temps 90+ with nightly lows 76-78. High humidity. Couldn’t do any further checks before leaving, so closed it up and left rear a/c as before, and front a/c on High Fan Auto for circulation. Also running a dehumidifier in the shower At 65%.

Going back mid-November. How to determine if it’s low on Freon, or something else? In hot humid ambient conditions, is core freeze-up more likely on Hi or Low fan speed, or does it matter. I had cleaned the filters, but they had very little on them. A/C is a Coleman.

Oops. That was a pic of our home’s new a/c data plate. Senior moment! Guess I didn’t take a photo of it after all. I did write down the numbers. Now to try to find where. I will contact Lazy Days and GD when I get there. Meanwhile, Just looking for ideas. It’s just hard to believe that it ran since mid-March with no problem, then developed a problem after I had been there several days.

Found my notes with a/c info;
    Coleman Mach
    48204C869
    Rev B. Mach 15 A/C
    Ser No. 200135270
    UPDATE; LazyDays phone tech had told me the problem might be a bad thermistor probe/sensor. Sensor was originally in lower corner of the evaporator core, they recommended lower left, but didn’t help. I stopped at Lazy Days on my down last week and bought a new one. Removed the old one and tested both old & new resistance. Both the same at ambient & in ice water. I installed new one about an inch down at the top right. Core still starting to freeze but stopped just above the level of the sensor. This prevented a complete freeze up, but still didn’t cool very well. I suspected low on Freon. Went on top and checked the condenser core. A little dirty, worthy of cleaning, but not bad. Called in RV DOCTORS mobile. Tech came yesterday and checked volts/amps and air temps in/out; concluded its barely cooling at all, and is contacting Coleman for approval to replace under Warranty. It may take a few weeks or more to get, due to COVID shortages.
    LESSON: If the coil is freezing up completely, move the sensor probe up high. At least then it will go into “defrost” mode and you will at least have circulation. In our case the front & rear units are ducted together. So for now the front runs on Fan only and the rear unit provides cooling. Front doesn’t get as cool as the rear, but is livable and keeps the humidity down. Hope this helps someone else. BTW, I had pay $95 for the mobile service call, and will have to pay it again when RV Doctors puts in the new one. Warranty covers repair labor and parts, but does NOT cover their travel time, mileage or other expenses of coming to your location.

I had contacted Grand Design Customer Support to discuss using a third party repair service, since we are parked permanently
    Last edited by SolitudeAtLast; 11-20-2020, 01:51 PM.
    Doug & Barb
    2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
    2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
    No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
    Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

SolitudeAtLast
    Hi Doug & Barb,

If the filter is clean and the fan is running, the problem is likely low refrigerant. Unfortunately, many newer RV AC units do not have attachment ports for an AC service technician to even attach pressure gauges to check this. I do not know for sure about Coleman. Your 2020 Solitude is quite possibly still covered by either the Grand Design or the Coleman warranty . . . I would start there.

It is curious that your label picture shows this to be a 230V unit ?? RV appliances are always 115V.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have learned that in high humidity to run the fan on low and not auto. This helped ours at a rally to not freeze. This also helped reduce the cycle of on/off during auto fan as it was doing that frequently as the coils had started to freeze.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Like said above, low refrigerant sounds like the most likely culprit here, but it could be airflow. Fan problem, dirty filter or restrictions in the vents can also do it.

I’d check for blockages in the ductwork.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

The good news is it’s probably under warranty. That’s because it does not really matter what’s wrong once it’s not the filter, fan or capacitor. My understanding is not much else is serviceable and the whole unit gets replaced. There is no way to add refrigerant like a home unit. On the bright side it’s pretty easy to replace, hardest part is getting it up to the roof.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
          X