2020 Transcend 221 RB LR heat vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

OK....maybe this my tired brain in overdrive (working a 12)...but would it be possible to mount two similar thermostats side-by-side with one controlling the furnace and the other controlling the air conditioner? The "a/c" thermostat would only have the wires to control the a/c and the "furnace" thermostat would only have the wires for the furnace.

That should allow running the a/c on "fan" to circulate air while also running the furnace.

For those with heat pumps...I have no idea.
    As Keith would write at this point...back to my corner.
    I don't see why not. I come from running small tv trucks, we always had the heat strips in our roof top units (usually coleman & dometic) but never used them. Instead we always just used in wall electric heaters, these were self contained and had little built in thermostats. In principle, same thing as your saying howard.
    Jonathon, Sarah, Things 1, 2, & 3 Higham
    2020 Silverado 1500
    2021 Transcend Xplor 297QB

Comment

HI all, Country Camper is probably right and I may not have been clear that we have the "new" Furion a/c and tstat. I have discussed this with GD and they are cautious about the subject, can't say as I blame them. The Furion is new to them due to a lack of product from Coleman? It seems that there is only one temp probe and it is placed in the a/c plenum. Circulating the air with the a/c fan only function does circulate the air but requires 115 volt power and does not adequately warm the plenum/probe area as there is little protection from outside temps, particularly when it is well below freezing out. Our workaround may be temporary or it may work long term. I guess my thing is that it is a simple fix and works for us though is not attractive. I must say though that GD has been a pleasure to talk with, they seem to understand where many of us are coming from and at least for us they are doing a good job. Other r.v. companies seem to have a strange way of making friends
      flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

OK....maybe this my tired brain in overdrive (working a 12)...but would it be possible to mount two similar thermostats side-by-side with one controlling the furnace and the other controlling the air conditioner? The "a/c" thermostat would only have the wires to control the a/c and the "furnace" thermostat would only have the wires for the furnace.

That should allow running the a/c on "fan" to circulate air while also running the furnace.

For those with heat pumps...I have no idea.
        As Keith would write at this point...back to my corner.
        In theory this is possible, but to execute is another matter. Because the 2 blue wires that go from the furnace do not go to the thermostat. They go to the AC control unit. located inside the rooftop plenum. So this leaves us a couple of options.

1. Do what several folks have now done and pull the temp probe down out of the plenum and have it protrude into the cabin. This is the easiest and cheapest (free) option. If you can't live with this option, proceed with considering the options below.

2. Order a temperature sensor relocation kit for $40 and put the sensor on an interior wall somewhere in the cabin. This will allow you to use the current configuration and thermostat without any further modifications and will work fine while boondocking.

https://castlewinch.com/product/tsrk/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xnip2021-03-13_22-12-35.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	45903

3. Reroute the thermostat control (2 blue wires) wires from the furnace to a new thermostat to independently control the furnace. Here is a nice analog thermostat with digital readout for $25. To do this correctly, you will need to disable the furnace control function inside the AC control box (black box mounted under shroud from inside the trailer). Simply open the control box and locate the bank of dip switches. Put dip switch #4 to the "OFF" position and this will remove all of the heating controls at the Furrion thermostat.

What you will likely find when you locate the 2 blue wires at the furnace is only one of them is connected. This confuses most people because the Suburban furnace is designed to provide it's own +12vdc to the thermostat and the thermostat acts as the on/off switch sending the +12vdc back to the furnace (i.e. call for heat). The Furrion uses a digital control and the thermostat sends signals back to the control box in the AC unit and from there the control box sends it's own +12vdc signal (CN6) back to the furnace (i.e. call for heat) in stead of the thermostat sending the signal directly to the furnace like we are used to seeing.

This option may be easy to do on some models and nearly impossible on others based on the location/access of your furnace and ability to get wires routed to an interior wall.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00204WWGE...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Name:	Xnip2021-03-13_22-20-30.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	45905

4. This option is a bit more complicated but will give you the best of both worlds by letting you keep the existing system for when your on shore power and allowing the AC fan to turn on and aid in circulating the air throughout the entire trailer. And when your boondocking, you can simply run the furnace using the dedicated thermostat that you installed. To accomplish this, you will need to take the return lines from both the AC control unit and the standalone thermostat that you installed and put them on a switch. The switch will basically allow the AC control unit to send the +12vdc signal (i.e. call for heat) in one position and will allow the furnace thermostat to send the +12vdc signal (i.e. call for heat) in the other position. A single pole double throw (SPDT) switch will accomplish this. Here is one for reference:

https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express...motive&sr=1-12

Name:	Xnip2021-03-13_22-50-03.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	45907

There are a few more options possibly available such as replacing the Furrion digital thermostat with an analog style thermostat that utilizes the standard 6-wire configuration and has it's own temperature sensor. I know the Furrion control unit has the option for this and is wired for it as well. As mentioned previously, open up the control box and locate the bank of dip switches and switch dip switch #6 to "OFF". This disables the 4-wire digital communications (CN2) to the Furrion thermostat and enables the 6-wire analog communications (CN8). I haven't had the ability to test this to ensure it works but according to the schematics and images I have seen, the wires for the analog controls should be coming out of the control box and tucked up in the AC plenum.

Here is a link to a video showing how to configure the AC control box dip switches based on your configuration needs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_iAzDW24Hc

Here is the schematic of the control box wiring for reference:

Name:	Xnip2021-03-13_21-25-51.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	45908
        Attached Files
        Jeff and Debbie
        2021 Imagine 2250RK
        2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
        USMC Veteran

Comment

We have an Imagine 2500RL on order and expect it to be delivered in early May. I've been advised that it will have this Furrion A/C - Furnace system installed. We do some boondocking, so this problem does concern me. I'll be monitoring this thread to see what solution to the issue Grand Design comes up with.
          2021 GD Imagine 2500RL
          2017 Chev Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2 Max Tow Package
          Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
            We have an Imagine 2500RL on order and expect it to be delivered in early May. I've been advised that it will have this Furrion A/C - Furnace system installed. We do some boondocking, so this problem does concern me. I'll be monitoring this thread to see what solution to the issue Grand Design comes up with.
            while everyone patiently awaits a response from GD....you can simply drop the return filter/grill and pull the room sensor down and poke it thru the filter/grill and it will give you the desired functionality without any permanent alteration to the AC unit.
            Jeff and Debbie
            2021 Imagine 2250RK
            2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
            USMC Veteran

Comment

Hi...

I spent the night in the trailer with the pups to see how they would react before taking them on the road. All went well except I had the doors closed to the bathroom and the bedroom to keep them from wandering in late at night and get into mischief.

I noticed with both doors closed the bathroom gets very toasty and the bedroom not at all. So....we leave the doors open ( wife says no ) or I order those damper vents from Home Depot, Lowes, or RV upgrade.

Thank you,

John
              John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
              2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
              ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
              2017 Jayco 26BH
              2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Working...