Furnace odor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace odor

We purchased our 2020 203RLS in mid October we have been camping several times already. We live in the Seattle area and have cold temperatures already. We have run the furnace every time we have been out. We notice a propane odor every time we have been out. The unit is in the shop now getting looked at has anybody had this issue?

No, but you are right in having a shop look at it. The combustion chamber should be vented to the outside, and the propane lines should not leak. A competent shop should be able to identify and correct the issue.

Welcome to the forum.
    Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Welcome to the forum Brian and Aimee. Hopefully, you'll find the information beneficial. The propane smell is not a widely reported problem, so we can't say where to look. I think you're wise to take it to the shop and have the pros look at it. I lost my first Grand Design rig to a fire and a propane smell would make me very nervous. (BTW, my fire was caused by the tow vehicle, and not the RV).

If you get a chance, check our welcome letter to make your forum navigation a little easier.
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Brian-Aimee View Post
        We purchased our 2020 203RLS in mid October we have been camping several times already. We live in the Seattle area and have cold temperatures already. We have run the furnace every time we have been out. We notice a propane odor every time we have been out. The unit is in the shop now getting looked at has anybody had this issue?
        Propane odor is always a bad thing. This odor could come from a faulty propane regulator at the propane tank , a propane fitting at any of the connections , a faulty solenoid at the appliance. You do have a propane detector in your RV , this will be located close to the lowest floor level on the 303 I believe it is on the island. If this was sounding off then you would have a leak inside the RV and this is not good. If the smell is outside this could result in the propane regulator at one of the tanks. The regulators do sometimes fail , ours failed in the first year. Your dealer should be able to pinpoint the problem and resolve this. They also should do a leak test on the whole system to insure they have it fixed.
        I am glad that there was no bad problems as a result of which ever kind of leak you had.

Welcome to the Forum and please report your findings so other will know what to look for if an issue arises with there RV.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies I will post this Friday when I get the unit back from the dealer. We do have the propane detector on the island and it has never gone off so I asked the dealer to do the sniffer test and check the alarm as well. We love this forum it has lots of valuable information.

Comment

Friday night update: No trailer yet another week in the shop. Propane issue was fixed they had remove the furnace and the fitting in the back was finger tight and leaking. The performed a pressure test and all is well they double checked the propane alarm and all is well there. They said because the unit is outside the detector didn’t pick it up. I had 10 items on a punch list to fix and while they were working on the linoleum floor the dinette slide wouldn’t go out so now it needs two new motors. My 9 other issues were more quality control issues than anything but still annoying after buying a brand new unit.

Comment

Friday night update: No trailer yet another week in the shop. Propane issue was fixed they had remove the furnace and the fitting in the back was finger tight and leaking. The performed a pressure test and all is well they double checked the propane alarm and all is well there. They said because the unit is outside the detector didn’t pick it up. I had 10 items on a punch list to fix and while they were working on the linoleum floor the dinette slide wouldn’t go out so now it needs two new motors. My 9 other issues were more quality control issues than anything but still annoying after buying a brand new unit.
              Can you please enter your VIN in your profile? I'm going to upchannel what the dealer found to our GD reps and that's the first thing they'll ask for--much easier if they can just pull it from your profile. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...ofile-a-how-to
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Profile updated

Comment

We purchased a new 2019 3350RL Solitude S-Class last June. NUMEROUS QC issues such as couldn't wintertize due to valve/incorrect plumbing issues, trim on all slide ends lose or falling off, 1/2 of LED lighting on island not working, wiring pulled out of restraint at J Box, massive light coming through bottom corners of slides when in, warped and wrinkled trim, When we ran the heater last fall the bathroom floor and interior of the vanity got so hot it melted the contents in the vanity. In addition the microwave, TV, sofa and mattress all had to be replaced, refrigerator issues, holes in blinds and the list goes on...and on...and on. Most of this stuff you don't find till you use the camper. Obviously had some stuff on our punch list but kept adding to it. Yesterday found a hole on interior of refrigerator door behind a bin. UGHH!! Almost regret selling our 2010 Keystone Cougar

Comment

Originally posted by M & M View Post

We purchased a new 2019 3350RL Solitude S-Class last June. NUMEROUS QC issues such as couldn't wintertize due to valve/incorrect plumbing issues, trim on all slide ends lose or falling off, 1/2 of LED lighting on island not working, wiring pulled out of restraint at J Box, massive light coming through bottom corners of slides when in, warped and wrinkled trim, When we ran the heater last fall the bathroom floor and interior of the vanity got so hot it melted the contents in the vanity. In addition the microwave, TV, sofa and mattress all had to be replaced, refrigerator issues, holes in blinds and the list goes on...and on...and on. Most of this stuff you don't find till you use the camper. Obviously had some stuff on our punch list but kept adding to it. Yesterday found a hole on interior of refrigerator door behind a bin. UGHH!! Almost regret selling our 2010 Keystone Cougar
                    Welcome to the family and the forum!

I hate to see anyone having problems like this, but I see that you are a new member and wanted to take a moment to let you know that the moderators have put together a Welcome Letter for new members to help them navigate the forum and have the best possible experience here. You can find it at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Hopefully you can get your remaining issues resolved.
                    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                    Nash County, NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by M & M View Post

Hello M & M,
                      While it is regrettable you're having issues with your new trailer, the focus of this forum is owner's helping other owners fix (or modify) their trailer. Is there something specific we can help you tackle? If not, the best resource to document the issues you're experiencing is with your dealer. If your dealer sucks (common problem) call Grand Design Customer Service for assistance.

Thanks for understanding. Remember--we're willing to walk you through a self-repair. Choose a single issue, post it in the proper channel, and we'll do our best to help.

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                      X