Electric Heater vs. Propane Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Heater vs. Propane Heater

I keep my Imagine plugged in so the interior is either cooled or warmed depending on the weather. Also helps keep the humidity at bay. Given the colder temps, I am running through propane tanks weekly. I am thinking or putting a small electric floor heater in during the colder days. Would it be safe to have a 1400W floor heater but keep the temp around 60? Don't need it to heat the trailer up to 75.....Thanks.
    John and Lori
    2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22MLE

Many run electric space heaters while camping but its really not needed or recommended while in storage. No drywall to crack, no pipes to freeze if winterized. For the price of heating 24/7 with electric or propane you could be paying for conditioned storage.

Jim

Comment

It'll be expensive either way. Where I live, propane is cheaper than electricity.
      I just let the trailer freeze. Yesterday was -17*C.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Looking forward to spring.

In the winter my rig is under cover. In the summer heat, the roof vents are slightly open to vent heat and to keep temps normalized.

In excessive summer humid conditions and while in storage, a de-humidifier may be helpful to protect cabinets and furniture.

Jim
        Attached Files

Comment

JHC
          There is definitely a "safety" aspect to disconnecting all electricity (either shore power or battery) when the RV is in storage. With the water system winterized, you can safely put the RV to sleep through the coldest weather. In fact, lowering the internal temperature to approach outside ambient temperature minimizes condensation moisture on internal surfaces. At the other end of the storage temperature extremes, in hot humid weather, keeping vents open and even a dehumidifier makes sense.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by JHC View Post
            I keep my Imagine plugged in so the interior is either cooled or warmed depending on the weather. Also helps keep the humidity at bay. Given the colder temps, I am running through propane tanks weekly. I am thinking or putting a small electric floor heater in during the colder days. Would it be safe to have a 1400W floor heater but keep the temp around 60? Don't need it to heat the trailer up to 75.....Thanks.
            We keep a space heater in our 25G and set it to 50 (lowest it will go). On the coldest mornings (in the teens), the interior of the RV is still 42-43. I have the furnace turned on but set it to 35. I don't bother winterizing it but I do open the low water drains, drain the fresh water tanks.

Comment

I have been running the Cheapheat upgrade in the last 4 fivers, it's wonderful and saves a bunch on propane. It's a little technical to install, better to have a licensed shop do it right. The unit gives you the option of running propane or using electricity. I only use the electric option, better to let the campground pay my heating bills! Lol
              https://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/

Comment

Working...
              X