Thermostat Not Accurate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat Not Accurate

We have a 2021 Solitude 390RK. The thermostat in the back, kitchen area always reads about 10 degrees higher then the one in the bedroom. We woke up the other morning cold, the thermostat in the bedroom was 59 and the one in the kitchen which controls the heat was 71. We had the heat set to come on at 66 but since the thermostat said 71 it would not turn on heat. It was 39 outside. Today I used an infrared head gun and the wall next to the thermostat is 76, which matches a thermometer I put on the counter below the thermostat, but the thermostat reads 84. Can the thermostat be reset/calibrated or is there anything I can look at?
    Donnie & Pattie
    2017 F350 Dually, 2021 Solitude 390RK
    Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Originally posted by racerx1699 View Post
    We have a 2021 Solitude 390RK. The thermostat in the back, kitchen area always reads about 10 degrees higher then the one in the bedroom. We woke up the other morning cold, the thermostat in the bedroom was 59 and the one in the kitchen which controls the heat was 71. We had the heat set to come on at 66 but since the thermostat said 71 it would not turn on heat. It was 39 outside. Today I used an infrared head gun and the wall next to the thermostat is 76, which matches a thermometer I put on the counter below the thermostat, but the thermostat reads 84. Can the thermostat be reset/calibrated or is there anything I can look at?
    No, unfortunately its the nature of the beast for RV thermostats. We just have a "mental offset" from reality that we use to set ours. Depending what kind you have you might be able to replace it with a residential thermostat. I know the Dometic units cannot, I am not sure about the Coleman units. I did it on my old SOB trailer before they all went to digital controls and it was much better.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

First--noted this was your first post so when you get a moment check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

None of the GD drawings show a thermostat in the kitchen. I finally found a reference in a walk-through (2020) video.

Click image for larger version  Name:	thermostat.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.3 KB ID:	39036

The second thermostat in the bedroom is in a similar location as in my 315RLTS (just inside the door, to the left):

Click image for larger version  Name:	second therm.JPG Views:	0 Size:	80.2 KB ID:	39037

Even with the temp difference on the thermostat there still is the issue of a colder bedroom than the living area (I have the same issue in my 315RLTS). A couple of strategies:

1) Have a small fan blowing from the living area into the bedroom area.

2) Run the bedroom a/c on FAN LO. I've replaced all of my ceiling vents with ones that I can close, the only vents in the ceiling that are open are in the living area. This may seem counter-intuitive, but what I'm doing is sucking in cold bedroom air and depositing it in the living area. This evens out the temperature in the trailer and gets the furnace to turn on sooner.

3) Run a small supplemental electric heater in the bedroom.

Finally, since you can prove the thermostat is reading falsely and your trailer is new, contact your dealer and inquire about getting a replacement. If they won't help you can contact GD Customer Service. They might ship one directly to you to swap yourself.

Please follow up with the resolution.

Howard
      Last edited by howson; 12-31-2020, 10:30 AM.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I would have to think that the thermostat in the bedroom is only for the a/c unit. If you have the heat option for the a/c unit then it should come on when the thermostat calls for heat. The thermostat in the kitchen/living room area is for the furnace and or heat from the a/c if applicable. There can not be 2 thermostats that run the furnace at the same time , that would confuse the furnace. With the furnace running you can check for airflow from the heating vents. If the airflow is low on ones in the bedroom they may have become disconnected from the furnace or the vent , also could be a crushed duct under the RV.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

racerx1699 Welcome to the 390 family and the forum. What you are seeing is thermodynamics and you have many things going on. First, my bet is that your bedroom door was closed and your fake fireplace was on. Your thermostat in the bedroom is higher than the one in the living area and remember that warm air rises. When you have the fake fireplace running, it blows the warmer air directly towards living room thermostat, the kitchen and it first of all warms the kitchen area, then the living area ceiling, and lastly if your door is closed, none on the bed room and if open and no sun on the front cap, the heat is fair to middilen. The heat pump does a better job at heating the kitchen, living area, and bedroom in that order. I am a day sleeper and have found that one a sunny day (our nose in the sunshine) with a sunny day in the high 50's and my bedroom door open, 80-82 degrees isn't uncommon. Also bear in mind that unless the living area vents are closed that the bedroom is the last part warmed.
          We have 3 big furbabies who love sleeping in the bed, but we need our space also. At night, we sleep with the door open and a baby gate in that hallway. When I sleep during the day, I try to have the door open and the temps stay fairly constant if the outside temps are moderate. On slightly warmer days and if I have to close the door, I also have to turn on the A/C and the cooler days, I know that the bedroom temps will be cooler and adjust the heated blanket accordingly. I also know that the A/C will also blow some in the living space, causing SWMBO to react accordingly and raise the thermostat.

Long story short, with everything considered your temp results will require a bit of balance and compromise and most of all an understanding of your system.

I see that this is your first post in the forum and would like to point out that our moderators have taken the time to create a letter to help new members navigate and have the best experience with the forum. You can find it at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Thanks all. Today when we got up the thermometer on the counter was 67 and the thermostat was 77, so I'm going to get with Grand Design and see about getting a replacement.
            Donnie & Pattie
            Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

If you hitting the wall next to it with an IR thermometer and it reads the same, then the thermostat is correct. I have a thermometer with a remote sensor and internal one. Right now it is on the bar next to the wall and at 69 and the room is at 74, If I put it on top of the corner shelves in the bathroom and it reads 4-6 degrees above the bedroom if the door is open.
              All I can add at this point is that with the two raised rooms on the end and depending on what is running (heating or cooling) there will be warm and cool spots.
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Just took delivery of a 2022 390RK and have noticed this issue with the kitchen thermostat. Undoubtedly the problem is thermostat location and not it’s accuracy. That side of the fridge and in particular the thermostat location is subject to heat from the fridge’s operation. The kitchen AC issue in this model cannot be rectified unless the thermostat itself is relocated, or a different thermostat installed with a remote sensor. Your thoughts?
                Larry Flying Solo - Jax Bch, FL
                2022 Solitude 390RK - Full Time
                RAM Laramie CC LB 3500 DRW H/O Cummins

Comment

Originally posted by DepotsNutz View Post
                  Just took delivery of a 2022 390RK and have noticed this issue with the kitchen thermostat. Undoubtedly the problem is thermostat location and not it’s accuracy. That side of the fridge and in particular the thermostat location is subject to heat from the fridge’s operation. The kitchen AC issue in this model cannot be rectified unless the thermostat itself is relocated, or a different thermostat installed with a remote sensor. Your thoughts?
                  Similar problem I had in my (early) 2019 315RLTS. I moved the thermostat. Thread here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts

Not sure if it will be feasible to move your 390RK's--that thermostat is on the rear wall, right?

Finally, since that was your first post, please take a moment and check out the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard

-- please pass on this new owner's observation to the Solitude team. Should be easy enough to relocate this thermostat in future builds.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The kitchen thermostat on the 2022 390RK is located on the wall enclosing the right side of the NORCOLD fridge, photo attached.

Comment

Originally posted by DepotsNutz View Post
                      That's the same problem we have, if I put a thermometer on the counter it will always be 10 degrees cooler then the one on the wall. We just learned to live with it.
                      Donnie & Pattie
                      Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

That's the same problem we have, if I put a thermometer on the counter it will always be 10 degrees cooler then the one on the wall. We just learned to live with it.
                        I could learn to live with it IF the thermostat’s temp was consistent. Problem is, it fluctuates so often I can’t set the thermostat where it will work properly.
                        For now, I try to monitor the kitchen temp with a separate thermometer, and turn the kitchen AC on if it gets to warm.

Comment

I saw in another thread where an owner removed the thermostat from the wall and stuffed insulation behind it, to block the refrigerators heat. Anyone try this?

Comment

How are your vents pointed? I've noticed in all 3 of my campers if the vent points toward the thermostat it makes it cycle. Also be aware that the dumps will affect the thermostat.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                              How are your vents pointed? I've noticed in all 3 of my campers if the vent points toward the thermostat it makes it cycle. Also be aware that the dumps will affect the thermostat.
                              Vents are all pointed towards the LR area. I’m pretty certain my issue is related to the heat radiating from the adjacent Norcold.

Comment

Working...
                              X