Thermostat help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat help

The thermostat in our 2020 Imagine 2450RL is the digital type and doesn’t provide a mode that allows the AC fan while in heat mode, (ie, similar to a residential (TS).
    I purchased the analog model (7330*385*) while it works and appeared to have a manual fan setting, in actuality it has no function when Heat Mode is selected.
    I’ve research the forum but didn’t find anything conclusive.
    Customer support a GD said they couldn’t offer any replacement types but suggested to look into the Dometic thermostats. Dometic type TS seem to require an additional component to operate with the Coleman-Mach unit.
    I’m awaiting some feedback for Airxcel on any other any thermostat choices that will allow the AC fan to work when in heat mode.
    Can anyone offer and guidance on what TS would provide this option. The AC is a Colman Mach and a Suburban Heater
    Dana & Janet
    Toby & Katie (Maltese)
    Marrero, La.
    Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4X4
    5.3L w/3.42GR

I just bought a 2021 2670 MK. I am having the same issue just wondering if you have found any solutions to this?

Comment

Originally posted by D Haydel View Post
      The thermostat in our 2020 Imagine 2450RL is the digital type and doesn’t provide a mode that allows the AC fan while in heat mode, (ie, similar to a residential (TS).
      Short answer: No thermostat I'm aware of will provide this option in a Coleman-Mach HVAC setup.

Long answer:
      The only HVAC unit I'm aware of that runs the Air Conditioner fan simultaneously with the propane furnace by design is the Furrion, but IMO that unit has too many other issues to even be a consideration as a replacement.

I think it's possible to run the air conditioner fan simultaneously, but not with any off-the-shelf thermostat that's plug 'n play.

What it will take is a separate switch that triggers the fan to run, mimicking the selection on the thermostat. I've given this some thought in the past and even sketched out a plan to test, but there's other "gotchas" that I haven't quite figured out yet. Summer is approaching, there's a lot of other issues to tackle so this project is on the back burner for now.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Short answer: No thermostat I'm aware of will provide this option in a Coleman-Mach HVAC setup.

Long answer:
        The only HVAC unit I'm aware of that runs the Air Conditioner fan simultaneously with the propane furnace by design is the Furrion, but IMO that unit has too many other issues to even be a consideration as a replacement.

I think it's possible to run the air conditioner fan simultaneously, but not with any off-the-shelf thermostat that's plug 'n play.

What it will take is a separate switch that triggers the fan to run, mimicking the selection on the thermostat. I've given this some thought in the past and even sketched out a plan to test, but there's other "gotchas" that I haven't quite figured out yet. Summer is approaching, there's a lot of other issues to tackle so this project is on the back burner for now.

Howard
        My Dometic will do this. If I set the fan from auto to hi or lo, and then turn the furnace on it’ll run the AC fan, and then also tell the furnace to run (which will run its own fan as well). I’ve only ever done this accidentally but it definitely does do it.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

My Dometic will do this. If I set the fan from auto to hi or lo, and then turn the furnace on it’ll run the AC fan, and then also tell the furnace to run (which will run its own fan as well). I’ve only ever done this accidentally but it definitely does do it.
          I stand corrected! I didn't know that.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

My Dometic will do this.
            Neil, is this a Dometic thermostat on a Coleman Mach AC unit?
            If so might you have the TS Model # and/or picture.
            Dana & Janet
            Toby & Katie (Maltese)
            Marrero, La.
            5.3L w/3.42GR

Comment

Neil, is this a Dometic thermostat on a Coleman Mach AC unit?
              If so might you have the TS Model # and/or picture.
              No it’s on a Dometic AC unit. My front is a Coleman and having installed that one myself I can tell you they’re not interchangeable. The Dometic uses a digital signal with only three wires to go up to the AC unit where a control board splits out the signal for the AC unit and furnace.

Neil Citro

Comment

Thanks for the reply, guess I'll still be looking for a solution. We have figured out how to manage our system a little better but we are so use of having a fan blowing all the time, i'll keep looking. I haven't researched it yet but there is suppose to be a an electric heat strip that can be added to the Coleman unit that may accomplish this.
                Dana & Janet
                Toby & Katie (Maltese)
                Marrero, La.
                5.3L w/3.42GR

Comment

Thanks for the reply, guess I'll still be looking for a solution. We have figured out how to manage our system a little better but we are so use of having a fan blowing all the time, i'll keep looking. I haven't researched it yet but there is suppose to be a an electric heat strip that can be added to the Coleman unit that may accomplish this.
                  Yes, when I installed my Coleman I purchased the heat pump version and also added the electric heat strip. It’s easy to add, but it does not make much heat (only a 20 amp 115v heater). It’s basically a glorified hair dryer.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                  X