Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Exchange requirements for HVAC system (2021 Solitude 382)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Exchange requirements for HVAC system (2021 Solitude 382)

Hello,
    We have a 2021 Solitude 382wbr with a center kitchen that is always much colder than the bed or living rooms. While working on another project (replacing the plastic water heater connectors with brass ones) we noticed a ~2" by 53" gap underneath the hutch that allows you to see into the forward storage bay. My wife and I discussed that this might be needed for the air exchange for the HVAC system, but there is a gap under the steps into the front living area and a big hole in the wall behind the wine cooler (though I covered that with vents to keep wildlife out). I'd like to think that if gaps were needed for the heat exchange, they'd look more finished and this gap does not. I'd also like to think you could locate a gap someplace other than the kitchen floor when there is no thermostat in the kitchen (there are two halfway up the steps into the living room). I filled the gap with some insulated foam and some R32 pink insulation. People on FB think this was a mistake, saying the air needs to escape the kitchen and go into the heater. I've yet to actually find the heater, but it and any intake is now where near this gap. I'd like to hear from someone who actually knows about HVAC systems and systems within Solitudes. I want to believe there are enough places for air to leak out that I won't pop any windows or eardrums. Thanks in advance, Eric & Jennie

NotExactlyAimless

RV furnaces use floor level openings like you describe to bring cold floor level air back to the furnace. The location of the furnace (heater) should not be too hard to find . . . it has an outside exhaust. It is surprising that you can see through the furnace air return opening directly into the pass through storage area. Typically the furnace space is separated from the storage area by a wall. Is this wall removed while you do your plumbing upgrades?

Your kitchen area may be cold because you have blocked the cold air return to the furnace from this lowest area in the RV where the cold air will gather at the floor level.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Rob (and Cate),
      Yes we removed a wall to get at the water heater, so if the wall was up it would block us from seeing into the area where things are kept, but we would still be able to see into that area. I will look around some more, but all I saw were lots of silver heater hoses and no intake. If the intake to the furnace isn't right up to the gap under the hutch, I don't see that that gap is needed and the heater could just pull cold air from somewhere else. We've run the heater now for two days and nights and it seems to be working just fine and the kitchen is warmer. So am I damaging anything by having that huge gap covered? I understand the concept of pulling cold air away, but think you could accomplish that with a gap that was much smaller than 2" x 53". The kitchen was cold (I believe) because cold air from inside the front storage bay would flood into the kitchen.
      Eric

Comment

Originally posted by NotExactlyAimless View Post
        Hi Rob (and Cate),
        Yes we removed a wall to get at the water heater, so if the wall was up it would block us from seeing into the area where things are kept, but we would still be able to see into that area. I will look around some more, but all I saw were lots of silver heater hoses and no intake. If the intake to the furnace isn't right up to the gap under the hutch, I don't see that that gap is needed and the heater could just pull cold air from somewhere else. We've run the heater now for two days and nights and it seems to be working just fine and the kitchen is warmer. So am I damaging anything by having that huge gap covered? I understand the concept of pulling cold air away, but think you could accomplish that with a gap that was much smaller than 2" x 53". The kitchen was cold (I believe) because cold air from inside the front storage bay would flood into the kitchen.
        Eric
        The intake doesn’t need to be close to the gap, and the gap is critical to furnace operation. It will either draw air from outdoors or overheat, neither of which is what you want.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I agree that there needs to be a return air from inside the coach to the furnace , but I think your 2"x53" is rather large. Ours only has a 3"x7" register vent behind the toilet that is open to the pass thru storage. There also is a small opening under the hutch but not that big. If you have an opening at the steps it may be ok. Returning air from the heated inside is a lot better than trying to heat outside air. I think have the center kitchen layout with the bed and living rooms higher all of the cold air inside settles to the kitchen.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by NotExactlyAimless View Post
            The kitchen was cold (I believe) because cold air from inside the front storage bay would flood into the kitchen.
            Eric
            Hi Eric,

I know exactly what you mean by cold air flooding out the air return before the furnace is turned on . . . which then will reverse this air flow. We have a similar (but not as large) opening under the buffet in the kitchen of our Reflection. Brian Country Campers has a good point that your layout places the kitchen at the lowest point in the trailer where cold air is going to gather, particularly at the floor. When the furnace is running, a large air return from the kitchen floor is probably a good thing. Perhaps the solution is a way to close this opening except when the furnace is running.

Rob

Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

On our 390RK, the heater sucks air from the shelf area between the fake fireplace and TV. Our living area is the low spot on ours, but if using the Max Fan, it pulls cold air in thru that space and to the kitchen.
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
              X