Atwood furnace burner flooded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atwood furnace burner flooded

I haven't heard of this problem yet, but I can't believe I am the only one that has experienced this, but maybe others have the problem, they just don't know it yet. We experienced a severe thunderstorm, heavy slashing rain, strong winds and hail. Afterwards the temperature dropped and the furnace didn't work. It cycled through the start up process, but no ignition. When I opened the furnace cover, there was water inside. A few drops on the circuit board, a little scattered around, and a small puddle on the bottom. I dried everything out and when it still didn't work, I systematically went through trying to figure out what was the problem. The Limit switch, Sail switch and circuit board were all fine (I carry a spare circuit board, so I could swap it out). The circuit board signaled "ignition lockout fault". When I started to loosen up the burner assembly, water came gushing out. Rather than taking it all apart, that seemed like the problem, so I just let the water drain, and gave it time to dry out it. Still no ignition, so I pulled out the burner and this is what I found! Obviously this wasn't the first time water had been sitting in there. I tried to find a replacement in the nearest city, no luck, and it would be days to months for it to be ordered. One parts guy suggested trying to clean it up. My wife suggested using "Bar Keepers Friend", and it cleaned up pretty well. The furnace works again!!
    It strikes me to be a design flaw that water can be blown into the burn chamber through the exhaust pipe. I don't know if they have a fix for it, but we will probably keep tape over it during the seasons we don't use it, and cover it when rain is expected. I would have never guessed this could happen.

Dave Click image for larger version

Name:	Atwood burner.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	41006
    Attached Files
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

A few years back Dometic (Atwood) after a redesign found the new door was channeling water inside. Usually it is the board that gets a good bath. Thankfully it didn’t take Dometic long to redesign the redesigned-door to fix the problem. Looks like you may have one of the problem access doors.

Would you mind posting some photos of the outside access panel/door?

Edit - found a photo of the problem access door, note the vent slots direction, channels water inside.

Attached Files
    Last edited by colan; 01-27-2021, 12:34 AM.
    Colan Arnold
    2016 Momentum 397TH
    Full time since 2016

Comment

Dave27 colan

I have one of the early build Reflections with no exterior access door for the furnace (just the exhaust port). The furnace has to be removed from the inside to service it. Maybe there is one good thing about not having an outside access panel !

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Dave27 colan

I have one of the early build Reflections with no exterior access door for the furnace (just the exhaust port). The furnace has to be removed from the inside to service it. Maybe there is one good thing about not having an outside access panel !

Rob
        X2 - Always looking for the positive if even just one !

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by colan View Post
          A few years back Dometic (Atwood) after a redesign found the new door was channeling water inside. Usually it is the board that gets a good bath. Thankfully it didn’t take Dometic long to redesign the redesigned-door to fix the problem. Looks like you may have one of the problem access doors.

Would you mind posting some photos of the outside access panel/door?

Edit - found a photo of the problem access door, note the vent slots direction, channels water inside.
          Attached is a photo of the access door. It doesn't have a vent. I think the small amount of water I saw inside blew through the top of the door, the gasket on the door there isn't as imprinted as the rest around the door. It would explain the amount I saw on the board and elsewhere. The puddle leaked from the burner chamber. It kept reappearing after I dried everything, and there were drops formed on the metal housing.

Cate&Rob Rob, if your exhaust pipe is the same as mine; you have the worst of both worlds. That pipe is the only way for water to get into the burner chamber. Hopefully yours is sloped to drain back out, if not, next time you service the furnace, check the burner.

Dave Click image for larger version

Name:	Access Doors.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	41057
          Attached Files
          2016 Reflection 27RL
          2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
          B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

colan , Cate&Rob will correct me if I am wrong.

From the picture the inside circle will be the exhaust. The outside square part of the vent will be the intake for the burn chamber. This area , along with your gasket , seems to be the only way for water intrusion , from what I can see.

​​​​​​​Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I believe if you have just the exhaust port with no door you probably have a Suburban Furnace and shouldn't have the listed issue.
              2019 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel
              2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Dave27
                The intake opening on my furnace is not concentric with the exhaust like yours . . . although it transitions to a concentric pipe as it enters the furnace. So far (fingers crossed) I have not had water coming in through the intake louvers to the side of the exhaust . . . although this probably would be even better if the louvers were horizontal as shown in the parts diagram page (for a horizontally placed furnace).

BC315RLTS
                I am (unfortunately) all too familiar with my furnace being an Atwood. The /o\ symbol is a stylized "A" for Atwood.

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3982.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.8 KB ID:	41085Click image for larger version  Name:	Small Vent.png Views:	0 Size:	133.5 KB ID:	41086
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BC315RLTS View Post
                  I believe if you have just the exhaust port with no door you probably have a Suburban Furnace and shouldn't have the listed issue.
                  I have a Suburban furnace and the access door on the outside just like Dave. The only difference is mine has the double hole vent and intake of the Suburban.

Rob
                  Rob & Barb
                  2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                  2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

I wonder if the orientation of the furnace in the camper makes a difference. I noted when I made the recent video for elranas that his was horizontal. The furnace in my 315 is vertical, or sideways. The control board and burner in this case is at the top, with the intake and exhaust at the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace sideways.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	41103
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson My furnace orientation is identical to yours in my 297RSTS but in my previous Rockwood my furnace was mounted horizontal. According to the documentation for installation it can be mounted either way. I also never had any furnace issues in my Rockwood so I don't believe that orientation should make a difference if everything is done properly.

Rob
                      Rob & Barb
                      2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

No access door, what a pain, a simple 15 minute job like replacing a sail switch or control board is an hour plus job.

The coach manufacturer when installing a no-door furnace is supposed to provide ample room and means for removal. Ha Ha, more than once I’ve had to cut water lines or move coach wiring to remove furnaces with no outside access. The real kicker is in warranty situation, furnaces without an access door pay an extra 30 minutes.

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        Dave27 colan

Rob
                        Colan Arnold
                        2016 Momentum 397TH
                        Full time since 2016

Comment

I have the same issue and set up. Not sure how that much water gets into the burner head

Comment

Originally posted by Rgroves View Post
                            I have the same issue and set up. Not sure how that much water gets into the burner head
                            Rgroves Yes that looks very familiar. The only way for water to get in mine was through the exhaust pipe. I must have gotten in numerous times and I never noticed until we had a winter rainstorm and needed the furnace.
                            Dave
                            2016 Reflection 27RL
                            2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                            B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

A meme I put together at school after our lab working on Atwood furnaces...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Atwood Engineer.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	73455
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X